Need Help Troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so recently I built a system with some pretty nice stuff. I ordered all of it from newegg.com, as I'm sure most of you are familiar with.

The build looks something like this...

CPU: AMD Phenom II Deneb X4 940 (3.0 Ghz)
Video: Radeon HD 1950
Sound: Creative Soundblaster Audigy SE
Mobo: ASUS M3A79T-Deluxe
Memory: 4GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066Mhz

Anyway, I booted the computer, ran fine and everything, when I noticed the video quality was poor. After some contemplation, I realized I had placed the card into a PCI-E x1 slot, instead of x16. Upon replacing the card in the proper slot, the video had gone out. I suspect the card received ESD sometime during the transfer, but I'm not totally sure it was the card.

EDIT: The card was originally running in a PCI-E x16 slot, but the mobo runs it as a x1 slot.

My brother recently sent me is old Radeon HD 4850, but unfortunately, it is missing somewhere in the postal service.

Is there any way that I can tell if my card has received ESD or if it's a mobo/processor problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a pic: (click to maximize)

Your card can't fit into a PCI-E x1 slot

Anyway the best way to test is by installing another card
Or possibly downloading a Motherboard diagnostic tool from your motherboard's support website (if the tool exists)

Yes, I understand it cannot fit into a PCI-E x1. But the motherboard runs it's four PCI-E slots with one slot used as the following:

Blue Slot - x16
Black Slot - x1
Blue Slot - x16
Black Slot - x1

So, to make an edit, the mobo runs the x16 slot as x1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back