Need help upgrading motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I have an old PC my brother built a few years ago while he was at Stanford. By the time he gave it to me, it was still in good condition, but it was overclocked a bit. So a few years later, my mobo ironically is fried. I know how to reconnected a new one, ut I dont want the same one, I want to upgrade it. However, I wanna keep my Processor Chip and my Video Card.

I've been searching all over to mobo for something to identify it, but I can't find anything googleable.

I basically just need to learn how to match video card slots and processor pins to the motherboard and then memory. Can someone please help me.

Here are the specs:

Processor - AMD Athlon XP 2800
Video Card - GeForce FX59000 DDR 128
Memory - OCZ PC3200

Right now I have a small mobo, but I want a fullsize one so I can fit more memory sticks instead of having to upgrade. If you help me out, I'll get my girlfriend to bake you some cookies and I'll mail em for you! And they are delicious!!

Thanks hopefully,

- Kenneth

Kenneth your system is old. You would be better off buying a more modern motherboard using a newer 64 bit AMD or Intel processor and DDR2 memory and using on-board video. 2 memory slots can give you 4GB system memory. This is more than XP can handle. You can do this for $250

just in case you still want to use your old hardware, you need to get your hands on a socket A motherboard (aka socket 462), but your options are limited since I don't think they are being made anymore, but ebay is your friend there. I would get new hardware just like tmagic said.

I did some research...

You are right, I looked around, and Socket A is DEAD!!!

So here's the deal: I want to upgrade my computer but I can't afford it.

I'm thinking I'll just replace my motherboard for now, because my computer can still play Madden and NBA live, and that's the extent of my gaming (maybe a lil Need for Speed too). I know I won't be able to play the newer ones at full optimization, but I'm chillin with that.

I've been looking on New EGG for motherboards to kinda see which ones are good and then looking for deals on pricewatch.com, but I have no idea what kinda I should buy though. What should I be looking for?

[[And I know 2 mem slots is usually enough, but I have 2 512MB already so I thought it'd be cheaper to get 4 and do it that way, I know it's not as fast, but I'm all chillin n ****, lol.]]

Look for motherboards that support your current hardware, offer suitable upgrade options and suit your budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back