Need help with a Win10 setup

al davis

Odd situation that has Win10 causing a com port to not function.

I have installed a WiFi to serial port device (Digi PortServer & WiFi LynkSys). It allows an application to use a virtual serial com port to address a remote physical serial com port via WiFi. I have used this setup on an XP machine for several years. I migrated the hardware from the XP system to a Win10 system. When I try to access any Com port there I get the immediate Win10 message 'an unexpected network error occurred' and no connection with the com port.

I downloaded & installed the Win10 drivers from the manufacturer (Digi)
The expected virtual Com ports show up in Device Manager just like in the XP machine. No conflicts with local physical com ports
I have disabled the firewalls
The wireless network attached to the Portserver is seen and connects with Win10.
I can access the Portserver via browser so I know I have a connection from Win10 desktop to the PortServer hardware.

I suspect there is some 'gate' still disabled in Win10 but after some time have not found it. Your suggestions would be appreciated.

"I have installed a WiFi to serial port device (Digi PortServer & WiFi LynkSys). It allows an application to use a virtual serial com port to address a remote physical serial com port via WiFi. I have used this setup on an XP machine for several years."
Hello al, although I'm not able to help I like to try and extend my knowledge a little where possible. What in simple terms are you doing with this wi-fi to serial port device and what applications does it help you with? I love XP but most things connected with the internet and security have become more and more difficult on my XP desktop which I keep well away from my W10 systems.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I'd be perfectly happy to use XP until the end of time. Sadly that is not possible since many applications are no longer supported and too many dead ends are reached. I'm not much of a fan of Win10 for many reasons but it's pretty much the only game in town. Linux is fine but it too has some serious issues.

At the risk of overly complicating the problem at hand I purposely chose to not go into details upstream or downstream of the core issue. What I need to go forward is completing the link outlined above. PM me if you want more details.

"I have installed a WiFi to serial port device (Digi PortServer & WiFi LynkSys). It allows an application to use a virtual serial com port to address a remote physical serial com port via WiFi. I have used this setup on an XP machine for several years."
Hello al, although I'm not able to help I like to try and extend my knowledge a little where possible. What in simple terms are you doing with this wi-fi to serial port device and what applications does it help you with? I love XP but most things connected with the internet and security have become more and more difficult on my XP desktop which I keep well away from my W10 systems.

FWIW & anyone who stumbles on this -- Solved
4-20-21 Goto Dev Manager/Multi Port Serial Adapter/Inbound RealPortConn/advanced/properties/ & set IP address to 192.168.1.11

IE Dev Manager/Multi Port Serial Adapter needed the address of the remote device (Digi PortServer) it was talking to. Seems to me the setup utility should have set this in Win 10 (maybe it did in XP)

Back