Need help with public wifi

taylor1277

Okay so at home I bookmarked some websites of places that I wanted to go fishing in Virginia, from the Virginia Game and Commission ( it may have been Virginia Natural Resources ) anyway here is my dilemma. When I went to use a public wifi at McDonald's to use those bookmarks. It would open sites, but it wouldn't open the sites to the ones I bookmarked. It had a red slash going through the https and it was all in red also. So then I tried to use a free VPN, but it wouldn't connect. That was Opera Free VPN. Can someone tell me what happened and how I can get around this problem. If you need any more information than what I have here please ask first and then I will reply at my earliest. I always like to give a big thanks to all those that take their time to help others. Thank you

You did everything right - - the hotspot was parochial and intervened.

When you connect to ANY router, yours, mine, hotel or hotspot, ALL traffic travels through that device, gateway and ISP - - even with a VPN. Sadly, you needed to be more persistent and seek out another connection.

To test routing to $whatever$, at home, PING $SITENAME and take note of the IP address, eg;

ping techspot.com
Pinging techspot.com [184.173.241.66] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 184.173.241.66: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=53​

now at another location/hotspot, try that again - - should show same IP address. If not, you're being managed by the connection.

Back