need help with wireless connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

linkisspartan

Ive got a router on my downstairs computer and i just put in a wireless desktop on my computer upstairs. Installed all the software and stuff, but when i try to connect, it picks up my ssid and my access point, but when i try to connect it say something along these lines - "unable to connect, the access point might be out of range. refresh the list and try again". whats wrong??if it picks up the ssid it must connect to it and it certianly cannnot be out of range!

linkisspartan said:
- "unable to connect, the access point might be out of range. refresh the list and try again". whats wrong??
if it picks up the ssid it must connect to it and it certianly cannnot be out of range!
Almost. SEEING the ssid is not the same as connecting to it.
Please state the make/model of both the Wireless router and the adaptor attempting to connect.

Update the firmware in your router, and the driver for the wifi adaptor; they
must be current.

Then get a connection w/o any encryption whatsoever --
this will demonstrate it all works together and there's enough signal for the distance.

Then add WEP encryption: it's more compatible across vendors. I've seen this
work when WPA/WPA2 would not.

The router is a Netcomm NB5Plus4W 11G wireless router and the desktop adapter is a D-Link DWL-G520M Wireless 108g Mimo(it uses "airplus extreme G", with 8x more coverage).

So how do i get a connection?Do you mean make a whole new connection?I turned off WEP from my current connection and then tried to connect, but when the wireless adapter was trying to connect, it just did nothing ; it would just try to connect for like 1-2 mins then nothing.I only get that error message when i have EP enabled on my router.

Like all D-Link wireless adapters, the DWL-G520 can be used in ad-hoc mode to connect directly with other 2.4GHz wireless computers for peer-to-peer file sharing or in infrastructure mode to connect with a wireless access point or router for access to the Internet in your office or home network.
On the DWL-G520, turn off the AP feature as that's not necessary.
You must be able to connect w/o encryption before it even matters,
so don't make it more complicated (just yet-- add it back later).

I still recommend updating the Router Firmware and the D-Link Drivers.

Yeh sometimes when i try to connect it asks for the WEP key and sometimes it doesnt. Nevertheless, when its trying to connect, nothing happens. The "connecting" box comes up and after like 40 seconsd it dissapears. Any idea on how to turn off the AP feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back