Need opinion for a new video card before end of today

G

Gourry25

Well its been a while since i had had to ask anything computer related but since i am now 2 parts away from my new pc being finished i need to get a a quetion about a video card before tommorw since the price is sweet. but first here is what my new build has.

Motherboard: ECS NFORCE6M-A2 Motherboard - GeForce 6100, Socket AM3, DDR3, HyperTransport

Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Dual Core Processor ADX2500CGQBOX - 3.00GHz, Socket AM3, 2MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s), Retail

Sata 320 gig 16mb cache hard drive for my primary hard drive.

Psu: Ultra 550 watt

Case: NZXT Zero 2

Now with that being said I plan to get a secondary hard drive for games and non-essential programs which will be a 500 gig 32mb cache Sata.

The video card is at the moment the big question because I know what i want to have on it being an HDMI port and i saw thins one and well i need to know if its worth it or not:

http://tinyurl.com/26kvokq

Well the friend who is helping me put together this build is doing it based on a few fators on my end.

1: A pc that is upgradable(my currnt pc uses IDE hard drives and is not as upgradable cause the case size and a few other stuff.

2: A pc that can play games currently out as well as most of the upcoming releases like Medal of Honor as an example or when this build was first put together current games i want like Mass effect 2 and Modern Warfare 2 with out having to go low settings.

3: About a total price range of $500 but since i have had to get parts over the course of time that can go up at least another $125.

But since right now i need just the video card and a 500 gig Sata hard rive left to get its more on the video card.

I really want one that has HDMi on it.

well if your saying your budget for a video card is $160, Id go for the latest budget card from nvidia, the gts 450 ($129). It has dx11 and fairs pretty well in benchmarks and is a great overclocker.

well if your saying your budget for a video card is $160, Id go for the latest budget card from nvidia, the gts 450 ($129). It has dx11 and fairs pretty well in benchmarks and is a great overclocker.

Well i still need to get the second hard drive so i don't want to spend too much just looking for a hood video card that will last a while maybe a 4-5 year card before i upgrade if needed so looking for a card maybe about the $50-$75 range.
basically this whole thing aside form what i need to get is still under $500 and looks to perform very well, just need last two items, but the video card is the first since oddly the mobo did not come with on board video like someone expected so i cannot plug in a monitor or else I'd have the Os and a few key programs installed.

Well i still need to get the second hard drive so i don't want to spend too much just looking for a hood video card that will last a while maybe a 4-5 year card before i upgrade if needed so looking for a card maybe about the $50-$75 range.

What you are asking for is sadly not possible Gourry. If you want to play demanding games at a reasonable level you cannot go with a budget card especially in the $50-$75 range unless you make sacrifices in quality/resolution. While it can be done with the games you mentioned like MW2, I wouldn't say it's worth it for a new build especially for new games that may come along.

If all you have left from your current allotted budget is ~$160, I'd recommend getting a solid GPU first rather then attempting to get both a GPU & HDD. And my choice would be a Radeon 5770 which hovers around $130-$160 depending on the manufacture. Regarding your HDD, save up and get one when you can. I see so many deals every other week for under $50 for different hard drives you shouldn't have difficulty finding a good one.

Now if you absolutely must have both your options are extremely limited and I'd say your best bet is with a Radeon 4850. While it may be an older card it's still pretty good (1680 x 1050 max res imo), and can be found for ~$90.

Just to let you know, don't expect this PC to last you for years to come performance wise. I'd wager that even top end systems built today will struggle with top of the line games @ max being released 4-5 years from now. So don't be disappointed when your PC starts to struggle since you invested in more budget hardware.

With games that are out now, he'll be playing in low/mid to medium graphic settings with anything larger than a 20" monitor with decent resolution. At least at a price point for a vga he's trying to get.

The 5770 is a good idea, or maybe a gts 450.

Well first of all this new build is is only missing the video card and a second hard drive before is finished. Now i am not expecting to play games at Max settings.

For a better understanding here is what my current pc is spec wise.

Intel Pentium Dual CPU
E2180 @ 2.00 Ghz
2.00 Ghz, 2gig of ram

Video card: Nvidia Geforce 7600 Gs with 512mb ram

Sound card: Sound Blaster Live!

Two IDE hard drives
Main is a 40 gig
secondary is a 80 gig.

Case is too small and i've had this for at least 7 years.

If you read the first post that is what i have for my new build aside form the video card and second hard drive.

I am not looking for an ultimate gaming rig right now I just need something more modern that is upgradable, that can play games i currently cannot and will last at least 5 years so I CAN have the chance to get moeny together that I am unable to do now for such a Pc.

All i need is a good video card that has an HDMI port, and will let me play at medium specs for most games. Since games vary from Pc to Pc on what they actually CAN play over what the minimum required specs say they need.

Hell my current Pc based on a few sites friends who seen my current pc can't understand how I can play Crysis with settings on high in the game and not have it be slow or crash.

some members may disagree here but I used to have a 8600gt 512mb, and as far as i know it still isnt bad on games like Cod etc. It can run crysis on medium at 40fps+ and im not joking. Overclocks well too. price is £40-£45 so thats $75??

some members may disagree here but I used to have a 8600gt 512mb, and as far as i know it still isnt bad on games like Cod etc. It can run crysis on medium at 40fps+ and im not joking. Overclocks well too. price is £40-£45 so thats $75??

Hmm well what about upcoming titles like Medal of Honor that is probably a good benchmark aside from that I still need Splinter Cell: Conviction but my current pc cannot run that of course.

Basically if I can find a good video card from $50 to $80 that can last me a while that's all i need. for a while. most likely an Nvidia card would be best bet since it seems they have over the years been releasing patches for some of the older cards that are so close to making it minimum. At least that's what i noticed from when way back I could not run doom 3 with and older card i had before the one i use now and suddenly i was able to run it cause a patch or something.

funly enough I have just been on the medal of honor beta today (download the client if your interested 4th to 7th oct) and its very impressive graphics wise. Il update the card purely after playing medal of honor to this

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-054-OK

It is a uk store but its a refurbished to grade A and therefore an absolute bargain. the shipping will be about $20 but if you think your getting $230 for $65.

funly enough I have just been on the medal of honor beta today (download the client if your interested 4th to 7th oct) and its very impressive graphics wise. Il update the card purely after playing medal of honor to this

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-054-OK

It is a uk store but its a refurbished to grade A and therefore an absolute bargain. the shipping will be about $20 but if you think your getting $230 for $65.

my only problem is only 320mb of ram on that card instead of 512. So trying to find a video card either from Tigerdirect or newegg for a reasonable price with hdmi port on it.

$50-75 is not a range where you can get a good gaming card that will last you 4 - 5 years. Cards in that budget will barely handle current games. I agree with Relic that the HD 5770 should be a good buy.

Back