Need Some Help with My Monitor and an HDMI-DVI Connection

Hello! This is my very first post on this site. I was looking for a good place for tech support and this was recommend, so now I'm here!

Alright - here's the story.

A few months ago, my neighbor moved. They gave away some of their stuff, one of which is a ViewSonic VG2427wm monitor, which was given to me. At first glance, it didn't look like much. Then I decided to some research on it, and it turns out that it's actually an HD monitor back from 2009. It even displays in full 1080p! After I found that out, I wanted to try out my Wii U with it . . . That's when I ran into a pretty big roadblock. Turns out that even though it can do HD, the oh so sensible people at ViewSonic decided to NOT incorporate an HDMI port! (Weird, right?)

Anyway; it has two input ports - a DVI-D port and a VGA port. I've been using my laptop with the monitor through the VGA port, and it displays at 1920x1080. Little did I know that VGA is quite archaic when compared to DVI and HDMI. I just went on vacation to the States (I live in the Bahamas) - and I was able to pick up a really affordable (yet well-reviewed) DVI-HDMI (male-to-male) adapter cable, made by ULTRA. Since I couldn't bring my monitor with me, I had to wait to get all the way back home here in the Bahamas.

Why, oh why?

As soon as I got home, I plugged in the cable to the back of the monitor (the DVI end) and into my Wii U (the HDMI end). I powered on the monitor, and WALLA ----- oh wait. "No Signal".

I've been trying for about 3-4 hours now, and that's all I can get from it. I've tried all I can. I even plugged the HDMI end into my set-top box, and believe it or not, IT WORKED! I took it out and tried it again, but once again "No Signal". That's the only time it's worked.

I'm not sure what the case is. I've done all I can...I tried it on my laptop (it's the only one in the house with an HDMI port, and this monitor is the only one in the house with a DVI port). The monitor has age on it...I can't access the OSD and there are a few bright spots; but it still looks and works good. I just really wanted to try DVI since it's apparently in the same ballpark as HDMI when it comes down to display quality.

So, does anyone have any ideas? I can't return the cable to try for a different one (just in case IT'S the problem) - and to buy one here in my country is a little more expensive.

TL;DR - Monitor won't accept DVI signal from HDMI to DVI adapter cable, but accepts VGA just fine. Any tips to attempt a fix?

Not completely sure since I have a laptop (I don't use an external monitor), but don't you have to switch the input of the monitor like a TV?

A few ideas I can think to try..... many monitors will switch automatically to the correct input and display the signal onscreen, as long as there is only one input cable connected at any time.
It's possible that the HDMI mode has to be selected from the on screen display, might be possible to get the manual as a download to find out more.
There are at least a few different DVI specs, not all DVI plugs are the same either, there are several pin patterns that give various signal variations.
See this site and scroll down several pages for an image of DVI plugs;
http://www.playtool.com/pages/dvicompat/dvi.html

There is an idea on this site which mentions switching off the monitor, booting the PC, then switching on the monitor after Windows has got as far as your login screen or desktop, you'll be working 'blind' here but watching the hard drive LED will give some idea anyway. Worth a try.

Not completely sure since I have a laptop (I don't use an external monitor), but don't you have to switch the input of the monitor like a TV?

That's just it - I can't do that. The monitor's OSD won't display. I think the button may be broken, somehow. Although it clicks fine.

A few ideas I can think to try..... many monitors will switch automatically to the correct input and display the signal onscreen, as long as there is only one input cable connected at any time.
It's possible that the HDMI mode has to be selected from the on screen display, might be possible to get the manual as a download to find out more.
There are at least a few different DVI specs, not all DVI plugs are the same either, there are several pin patterns that give various signal variations.
See this site and scroll down several pages for an image of DVI plugs;
http://www.playtool.com/pages/dvicompat/dvi.html

There is an idea on this site which mentions switching off the monitor, booting the PC, then switching on the monitor after Windows has got as far as your login screen or desktop, you'll be working 'blind' here but watching the hard drive LED will give some idea anyway. Worth a try.

Oh trust me, I tried it. That didn't work either.

Back