Need to Boot computer Twice to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having the following problem. On the first boot of the day, from a completely powered down state, the power gets generated, but computer does not go into POST. If I leave it powered on for less than a minute, holding the power button to turn it off, then back on will have the same problem, but if I wait at least 1 minute, then power down, then it will boot up just fine.

It's a socket 478 mb, with a 3.2ghz P4 processor. RAM 2x512; 2x1g. I most recently put in a new corsair 750w power supply. The memory I have had for a couple years. The CPU however, I have had to purchase a used one because the previous one burnt out. I did add a 2nd CD burner, as well for nostalgic purposes, installed my IOMega 100mb Zip drive, which i unplugged thinking it was all using too much power. As well, I just added a the following vc: Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 Video Card - 512MB

Based on a lot of reading, I thought it might be the cmos battery, which I replaced to no avail. I have since turned on the POST Voice error and it tells me, System Error, CPU Error. I am thinking possibly, I didn't set the CPU correctly, as a pin or 2 was slightly bent and needed some massaging. until only this weekend, I did not have the voice on, so was not sure what the problem was. Why would a CPU not work on the first boot, but then be ok after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back