Neowin: iOS on the iPad is stuck in the past and it's kind of embarrassing

Neowin

When Apple launched the iPad, many thought it was simply a giant iPod touch. Yes, the similarities are quite obvious, but the iPad was closer to a notebook in terms of usability. While the company's hardware has continued to push forward, Apple’s software for its tablet have not kept up with industry trends.

When the iPad hit the market, it set the stage for what consumers could expect in the re-launched tablet space. A well-built, relatively thin device with great battery life and software that was finger-friendly and ready for anything you could throw at it (besides Flash). It was great, Apple sold millions, made billions, and it all went according to Apple’s grand vision of dominating the segment.

I won’t argue that Apple executed extremely well, there is no question there. The iPad's hardware is the best on the market and they continue to make quality and durable goods with each new release. Where Apple has fallen short, however, is that its software has not kept up with the industry in many ways.

Read the rest of the article.

This article is brought to you in partnership with Neowin.

Permalink to story.

iOS for iPad could use some work, but it will take time. I am in no rush because the software is at least functional and there are plenty of third party apps that can cover your needs until a better dedicated one is released.

The ecosystem is good, and the product quality is outstanding. It doesn't take more than that to make good sales, and Apple knows how to pitch their products, unlike Samsung, one of the worst product-pitching companies, their product presentations by some Korean guy who can't even speak good English are ridiculous and awfully boring.

The ecosystem is good, and the product quality is outstanding. It doesn't take more than that to make good sales, and Apple knows how to pitch their products, unlike Samsung, one of the worst product-pitching companies, their product presentations by some Korean guy who can't even speak good English are ridiculous and awfully boring.

Yeah, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

To be fair though, Apple product presentations are pretentious and nauseating.

This article is clearly written by someone from seattle...

the iPad is doing just fine right now. I guarantee iOS will see some new innovations in the next couple years to give you multiple apps on screen simultaneously. I actually like how you only get one app per time. Use push notifications and badges to move from app to app if you're really that die-hard

I remember Samsung's grand unveiling for the Galaxy S4 (or was it S3?). It was the absolute worst unveiling I had ever seen, bar none, it was embarrassing, campy and groan worthy. I'm sure the phone itself is excellent but seeing that launch made me hate it. I hope Samsung fired whoever came up with the idea for that launch. Here's to a better S5 launch, *crosses fingers*.

Apple had the best hardware? Wtf I don't think so. Not even by a longshot. Apple hasn't done much with the ipad, ipod or iphones since they were co-invented by Sony(ipad) and made by Samsung(most apple products). They don't even use sd card storage or use usb support like Android devices can. Even Microsoft has that.
Samsung and Amazon have devices that can and do rival Apples A7 chip. Apple charges a lot for a device that can't even expand it's memory or use usb. That's just insane in todays technology world.

Apple is good but pricey, however it's not the best out there. Plenty of numbers out there that Android devices are either getting better or simply are better.

ifad.jpg

If Apple rivals would take all the money they spend on publishing articles like this one, and spend them on top class professionals to develop their hardware and software, they could actually compete with Apple. Right now all they can do is bark at it.

Back