Net1.exe, Net.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minion_of_U

Lately, when i boot my pc, i noticed it was running a bit slower than usual. ive found the reason for this: net1.exe and net.exe have about 20 instances of themselves in the list of processes!!! they go away after a few minutes, but its still annoying having them there and i dont know if it's doing any damage. any idea on what to do? windows xp

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of Minion_of_U only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Delete all files in AVG Antispyware quarantine.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)

O9 - Extra button: Run IMVU - {d9288080-1baa-4bc4-9cf8-a92d743db949} - C:\Documents and Settings\B-rad\Start Menu\Programs\>IMVU\Run IMVU.lnk (file missing)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT and reboot your system.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Now, turn system restore back on. This will have deleted all your old restore points and any nasties that are in them. It will also have created a new, clean restore point.

Other than the above entries, your log files are clean.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of Minion_of_U only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thanx

all my problems are fixed, and im confident that with all these new programs, no more viruses are getting in. THANX HEAPS!!!!!

Hmmm, still having problems. Net1 and net keep showing up when the computer first boots. and also, my computer now has a tendancy to crash when i have too many programs open. i think all the new anti-virus and anti-spyware programs are taking their toll on my cpu. Im running dual core 3gh with 1GB RAM, which should be able to handle anything, but it keeps spiking up to 70% usage when i open new programs. it's restarted itself 4 times in just 3 hrs, usually when i open up my limewire program. is it safe to turn off all the resident sheilds? Or is there a way to log my CPU usage so i know which program is suddenly making my computer crash?

Ok, please give me the full file paths to Net1.exe and Net.exe.

Also, please post a fresh HJT log.

I captured a screen shot of the task manager when I first boot.
Also, there are two net.exe programs, one in "C:\WINDOWS\system32" and another in "C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386". they are both exactly the same file. Its the same story for Net1.exe, 2 files, 1 in each of the mentioned folders. It's important to mention that they only appear when I first boot, and will get rid of themselves after a minute or two. no other programs will open while they are there, so I cant run a hjt scan while they are still up. My main problem is my computer crashing at random when I have more than one program open. Before I installed all these new anti-malware programs, individual programs would "encounter unknown errors and need to close" (usually media player). Now my whole computer just reboots itself.
It will never reboot itself while I am away from the computer. Only when I am chatting on msn or opening a word document, etc; and the computer is being used.
View attachment 22138
net.GIF

And I just made a connection. Im usually (maybe always) downloading or using the internet when my computer reboots itself- using limewire or bitlord. would the internet connection be the cause of all this? im runing off a dsl connection, with a few of my other brothers on the router as well. none of them have this problem.

Those files appear to be legit, but may also have been overwritten by the Troj/Netex-A infection.

I suggest you have those files checked out over at Jotti`s.

Please visit this link http://virusscan.jotti.org/
* Click the Browse... button
* Navigate to the following file C:\windows\system32\net.exe
* Click Open
* Please let me know the results.

Do the same for the net1.exe file.

Do you have a pop-up barrier program installed? If so, it might be that, that`s causing the problem.

I went to that website, and none of the programs found any problems with it. I thought u might want to see a full screen picture of what happens
View attachment 22149
I dont have any pop-up blockers installed.
I also have my doubts that a virus is causing this. My router has an inbuilt firewall, and i never go to any sites that are infested with bad products. Could hardware be causing this somehow? i built my computer with spare parts- some from broken computers, some from ebay, etc. Could there be a compatibility problem with the hardware? Or is it more likely to be software? I recently bought a larger hard drive, which is in secondary position at the moment. i might just install windows on that, and get rid of my current hard drive and the problems it carries with it. Thankyou sooooo much for all your help. ill keep you posted if the problems STILL arise with the new hard drive.

Before doing anything else, I`d like you to do a search of your system for this file: msmngr32.exe

Let me know if you find it and it`s exact location.

Edit: Also look for these files. firedaemon.exe and diskinfo.exe

Dang, im sorry. i already reformatted- which had a few problems of it's own (my computer would not let me partition more than 131070MB. after a weekend of stress, i figured that i could partition 100gb, then partition the rest afterwards with sp2 installed.)
msmngr32.exe - if thats the default messenger service for windows, i remember that i told it not to startup when my computer booted, and i forgot about it. it was always a part of my system, but i never used it or heard from it ( i installed windows live messenger instead). Is there something i should do to msmngr32.exe in my new system to make sure i dont get the same problems?
As you may have guessed, i dont have the net.exe and net1.exe showing up anymore. and my computer hasnt crashed yet :) Thanx for your help. I learned more about computers this past week than i ever thought ide know :) Ill keep you posted if the problems still occur (but i doubt that will happen with my anti-malware programs installed). You've been a great help, THANX HEAPS

msmngr32.exe is a dangerous trojan and should be deleted. See HERE for details.

Let me know if you find it on your system.

OMG!!!!!!!!!! I reformatted my computer and the problem is still there. it must be a hardware problem. What hardware problems would cause my computer to restart? I have plenty of RAM- my computer never uses more than half of it

Net.exe and Net1.exe arent causing me problems anymore.

My system info:
- Windows XP pro SP2
- Dual core 3GHz CPU
- 2 512MB sticks of DDR RAM (one is cl2.5 and the other is cl3)
- 250GB Hard drive
- nVIDIA Geforce 6200 AGP Graphics card
- C-Media CMI8738/C3DX Audio Device (its a 5.1 surround sound card. I cant find drivers for my inbuilt sound so i disabled it

My sister has the same sound card, and her computer has problems when she trys to listen to music and browse the internet at the same time. Is there a common problem with this sound card? I am usually (but not always) listening to music when my computer crashes.

Oh dear, I`m real sorry to hear that.

Go and read this thread HERE and see if it helps you to identify the culprit.

If it doesn`t, please attach 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps into a new thread in our Windows OS forum.

I did a memtest today before reading your post :) It came up with 0 errors. Mt bios tells me that my DDR 2.5V is receiving 2.65V, and my +12V is only giving out 11.4V, which might be causing problems. my power supply is 400W, which i thought was plenty for one hard drive, 2cd drives, and a fan. I only have 2 minidumps, since i reformatted recently.
View attachment 22203
View attachment 22204
I also had another thought. it doesnt have to be a hardware problem. I had all my setups of msn messenger, media player, quicktime, ect on my flash disk to install after i reformatted. It might be one of these programs that is making the computer unstable. It crashed for the first time on the new windows yesterday, when only windows live messenger was being used. I have uninstalled it and so far my computer has been fine. The setup for windows messenger i have is version 6.0.2900.2180 (the same one i used on the old system and the new). After i installed it, it said it was missing a file "winhttp.dll" and couldnt run. I downloaded this file form the internet ( i forget where, it was a few months ago) which is version 5.1.2600.2180 and i put the file in the folder where messenger was installed. Could the different file versions be causing my computer to crash?

One minidump crashes at cmdmon.sys. This is part of your Comodo firewall programme.

Perhaps uninstalling Comodo and installing a different firewall programme may help.

The other minidump crashes at cmaudio.sys. This is your onboard sound driver. See if there are any updated sound drivers available.

I uninstalled windows live messenger, and my pc hasnt rebooted since yesterday :) I might be saying this too early again, but i think ive found the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back