Netflix is hosting an 'Old Guard' video game competition with a sweet prize for the winner

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Netflix is offering a unique opportunity to put those years of honing your video game skills to good use. To promote its new action film “The Old Guard,” the streaming giant is hosting a video game competition in which the winner will earn an “Immortal” Netflix account. It’s not truly eternal but it does last for 1,000 months, or more than 83 years.

Interested parties will compete in an original game that mirrors the events of the film. The top-down, browser-based beat ‘em up will have players fighting off hordes of enemies using only a giant, double-bladed axe. As is the case in the film, Netflix notes, death isn’t the end; getting killed only slows you down.

The competition runs for three days – July 17, 18 and 19 – and whoever has the highest overall score when the timer runs out will be crowned the winner of the Immortal Netflix account.

Hacking and slashing gets started at 8 a.m. Pacific today so if you’re serious about winning and don’t mind burning up the next three days… well, settle in, because it’s going to be a long 72 hours. Given that this is a new game and there isn't much notice, it would seem that most anyone willing to grind it out could have a fair shot at winning.

If you'd rather watch the movie, the 125-minute-long flick, which launched on July 10, is currently available on Netflix.

Permalink to story.

Spoiler: I've seen TOG, it was meh/10. BUT for extreme leftists, like america, it is 11/10.
It was really bad. I'm writing a script at the moment and learning from interviews with professional screenwriters online and in their books and it's quite incredible how many mistakes this movie made. For starters there is no clear protagonist. Secondly, they don't do enough to make you care about the characters. Third, they mistake scenes where characters chat about their backstory for forging a true emotional connection. Fourth, the actually mythology behind it isn't as interesting as it thinks it is. I guess with your leftist comment your also sliding to the multiracial, multinational, multi sexual orientation cast with two female leads such as they are. I've no inherent problem with this but perhaps if they'd spent less time making it wholly representative of humanity and more working on the script and deep characterisation they could have made a better movie. Or if they'd just hired me to consult:)

It's just a superhero movie... no more, no less... it has pretty much the same script as a bunch of other movies I've seen - just with "immortals" as the main group...

From the "new guy" (or girl in this case), bad guy who has a change of heart, traitor, "main baddy" and more.... this is a movie you've all probably already watched...

But hey, this formula exists for a reason - it's entertaining! A decent way to waste 2 hours :)

Back