Netflix is pulling the plug on House of Cards

Shawn Knight

TechSpot Staff
Staff member

House of Cards, Netflix’s groundbreaking original series, is reportedly coming to an end. The news comes just one day after actor Anthony Rapp alleged in an interview with BuzzFeed that House of Cards star and executive producer Kevin Spacey made a sexual advance toward him when he was 14.

Netflix and production company Media Rights Capital said in a joint statement to Variety that they were deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey.

Sources tell the publication that the Netflix political thriller will end with its upcoming sixth season. Production of the sixth season is already under way and will premiere sometime in 2018.

Spacey responded to the allegations on Twitter, noting that he was “beyond horrified” to hear the story and does not remember the encounter as it would have happened more than 30 years ago. Spacey added that if he did behave as Rapp described, he owes him the sincerest apology for what would have been “deeply inappropriate drunken behavior.”

Spacey, long known for maintaining a private personal life, used the opportunity to announce that he now chooses to live as a gay man.

House of Cards debuted in 2013 and popularized the practice of releasing a full season of a series all at once. The show was pivotal as it helped usher Netflix into the big leagues of content production, arguably changing the landscape of television as we know it today. It was also a huge success, having been nominated for 53 Primetime Emmy Awards.

Permalink to story.

D

davislane1

Spacey, long known for maintaining a private personal life, used the opportunity to announce that he now chooses to live as a gay man.

Rapp reveals Spacey made a pass at an underage boy. Spacey responds with "My bad if true. I now choose to live as a gay man."

Deft sleight of hand, at least insofar as getting the media to change narrative.

Theinsanegamer

TS Evangelist
Allegations of sexual advance more then 3 decades ago, with no evidence....

It is scary how common this is becoming, and more importantly, how willing these companies are to throw their prime money makers under the bus as soon as allegations are heard, with no actual court hearing first. How would a 14 year old rapp come into contact with a drunken spacy anyway?

Innocent until proven guilty doesnt apply to males anymore apparently. How much you want to bet this rapp fellow saw an opportunity for a payday/15 minutes of fame and took it?

Reactions: ManuelV and Kibaruk

MoeJoe

Banned
Spineless, still good for the bottom line reaction.

The plug gets pulled after the next season that is still in production.
Do the math.
LMAO

NightAngel79

TS Addict

It is scary how common this is becoming, and more importantly, how willing these companies are to throw their prime money makers under the bus as soon as allegations are heard, with no actual court hearing first. How would a 14 year old rapp come into contact with a drunken spacy anyway?

Innocent until proven guilty doesnt apply to males anymore apparently. How much you want to bet this rapp fellow saw an opportunity for a payday/15 minutes of fame and took it?
It was a after party for a broadway show, a show they were both in ;)

But your point is still valid, even though Spacey has been suspected of this behavior in the past.

Boilerhog146

TS Evangelist
FLAME ON!.
Never watched an episode.not one.and now I'm sure glad I never.as a survivor of child sexual abuse.the most ridiculous of comments come from those that have zero experience,go figure.Rapp doesn't have to prove anything.spacey can go eat a bullit.do us all a favor.when one of your children shows up at the dinner table sporting a brand new STD at 10/11 years old,as I did ,then you will have some understanding.when you see how that child is then treated.you will have even more understanding.I hope more victims come forward.career is over spacey! I'm both angry and happy.I thought the negotiator was a decent movie.now nothing he has ever done was decent.Burn in Hell anyone who thinks otherwise.start trying to cover for him .play it down,

Go watch the Boys of st. Vincents. A movie about the real mount cashel orphanage.in St.Johns newfoundland.run by the roman catholic Christian Brotherhood.Be prepared to be awakened.I started life in that community only about 2 miles from there.I personally know some of those survivors,if you can call them survivors.not all made it through.

All these high profile abuse cases will certainly help others tell their stories.the flood gates are opening finally .and believe me its about friggin time!

This Flame will never go out.I'll live with this shite forever.

Go watch the movie.if you Dare.
Boys of st Vincent.
read the book by a survivor.
suffer little children.

Last edited:

SirDigby

TS Evangelist
TechSpot Elite

Apparently it was while they were both working on Broadway, and Netflix were planning to end HoC at S6 anyway.
Yea, it was time. Hell, I was worried they'd not have a season 6. But now that she's in office, I don't really see where else they go from here. Glad it gets a non-drawn out ending.
Awww spoilers I only actually started watching a couple of weeks ago, on Season 4!

ManuelV

TS Addict

Yeah, you just have to say that guy tried that and he will loss his job and his efforts and sacrifies to reach his way of life. In this case if HOC were going to have more seasons a lot of people would had loss his jobs and some families would had a lot of troubles. If spacey didn't have millions he would had loss his carrer without money and where to work.

I know how hard is to prove that kind of things, but a modern society cant punish anyone that hard just because another guy say something. Funny if you do that you are pressuming the accuser innocence

Boilerhog146

TS Evangelist
Coincidently.by the time I turned 14.I had gotten away from the abuser.however I was an alcoholic,doing b&e's,stealing cars,doing drugs,skipping school,trying to commit suicide.a total failure at life.
Joining the Canadian forces helped ,strengthen my resolve,gave me strength and determination,
Mid 50's now,and watching these stories unfold.got me thinking about going to police,because I've encountered my abuser at his place of Employment,a Walmart here,he has abused other kids that I know personally.his time is coming,just like all abusers.
If you have been lucky to have never been abused,you have no idea what living with those memories is like.
and it's human nature,there will be those that try to jump on the bandwagon for the publicity, the metoo,hype train.a good physiologist will see through those,shame on them for muddying the water so to speak.

Last edited:

Phil Wheeler

TS Member
Netflix were already planning to end House of Cards at season 6...
They were, but now it sounds like they may not complete Season 6. However despicable his behavior -- and it is laudable that he owned up to it without delay -- I tend to separate that from his career as an *actor*; I watch other films with actors who have behaved badly. So if Netflix decides to not complete and present Season 6 for this reason, they'll probably lose at least one long-time subscriber.

NightAngel79

TS Addict
Apparently it was while they were both working on Broadway, and Netflix were planning to end HoC at S6 anyway.

Awww spoilers I only actually started watching a couple of weeks ago, on Season 4!
Trust me, that is no spoiler, as you can never guess how anything plays out in season 4 or 5...

ddferrari

TS Maniac
FLAME ON!.
"...then you will have some understanding.when you see how that child is then treated.you will have even more understanding."

Okay, so theoretically- what if Rapp is lying to get his 15 minutes of "me too" fame? Do you think this type of thing never happens? Not too long ago, a woman went to prison for falsely claiming to everyone that she had cancer, because she wanted their donations and the loving attention. She even played the role at several public fundraising events, lying to the faces of her closest friends and family. People like that ARE out there.

I know that victims often get victimized again in the judicial process, but that doesn't mean that the accused person's life, career and reputation should be automatically destroyed without question, based on a (yet) unproven claim. In what other area of crime would this hold water in court? None.

Sorry, but we don't get to pick and choose which types of crimes the "Innocent until proven guilty" Golden Rule applies to. It's the backbone of our legal system in the United States, and there should be no exceptions. Does it suck for real victims? Of course. But it also protects citizens from false claims, who are victims themselves in those situations.

"and it's human nature,there will be those that try to jump on the bandwagon for the publicity, the metoo,hype train.a good physiologist will see through those,shame on them for muddying the water so to speak."

Agreed. But Spacey has already been demonized and fired from a very successful gig without so much as a preliminary hearing, or even formal charges. That's not justice, either.

Reactions: Boilerhog146

Boilerhog146

TS Evangelist
which is why I said what I said, at 14 years old ,that's not a child any more and can fight back ,has been through puberty.and is aware of what's going on.I question some of the validity,of Rapps story.he's too old to be molested as a child.maybe ,encouraged spaceys advances in some way.hard to prove either way.but spacey as an adult,knew better than advance on a minor anyway.polygraphs for everybody.and if no other males ever come forward ,quite possibly spacey maybe did nothing wrong.but he admit it so ,guilty.Rapp was not to the age of consent.there is an age of consent in Canada.if younger males come forward,with a good story and witnesses.as in other cases.spacey should get jail time.by not remembering but believing himself it was a possibility.while drunk he may have advanced on others.I now wait for the others.if there is 1 there's more....14 is to old to start abusing.pedofiles start when a child is vulnerable,and swap them when they get too old.thats here in Newfoundland.I know of an exact story.kid got to old .perp went for another child ,got caught served 2years.sad story for the older kid.deceased now.no justice for him!

myself at 14 in high school would have put spacey in the ER.I knew by then whether or not I wanted an older male advancing on me ,and knew how to fight.at 5/6 years old ,was very vulnerable,sorry ,it's a sensitive subject,I know kids that did commit suicide when they realize what was being done to them.friends.
watch the movie ,read the book.
Want some candy?

Last edited:

ddferrari

TS Maniac
Well everything your saying makes sense and I don't want to turn this into a debate. I will only add that Spacey didn't admit to the accusation, he said that he didn't remember. While that may sound like a cop-out, it is well known that alcoholics often can't remember what they did the day before, let alone something from 20 (?) years ago. He acknowledged that it's possible he did it, and if he is an alcoholic that may very well be a truthful statement. It certainly doesn't minimize the seriousness of the situation if he in fact did do it.

My problem, as I stated, is that he has already been found guilty by the public and his peers before so much as a shred of proof has been offered. Just today it was announced that in addition to losing his job, he will no longer be honored with the 2017 Emmy Founder's Award, whatever that is. If he's guilty then he deserves whatever may come, but if Rapp is lying for personal gain or to settle some old unrelated vendetta, he should be harshly punished as well.

I hope lie detector tests are in BOTH of their immediate futures. They are not 100% reliable, but it's a starting point.

Boilerhog146

TS Evangelist
I 100% agree ddferrari, lie detector for all,Rapp may be lieing or telling a half-truth,at 14 and at a party ???? Where were the rest of the partiers,?how did they end up in the bedroom together?
drunk is no excuse.though its been used as an excuse for years.and with all his peers turning. On him ,there seems to be more to the story,that's yet to be revealed.some turn to booze to try to forget,what they had done or been put through.I was an alcoholic in my teens.
I quit all together on my own after release from the military.so I totally refuse to accept the drunk cop-out,which is what it is.and casting doubt upon himself ,did not help.many peers witness the questionable behavior.which I believe,is why so many turn suddenly.they now realize,there is more to the story,
Side note, now at mid 50's I only started to talk about my own experience ,a few years ago prior to my father passing.he actually knocked on the guys door looking for me ,was told I wasn't there,when I was in the guys bed,we had that conversation.the first time I had ever seen him cry like that.I went totally sideways.yeah I talk a lot.
this will make it easier. For other victims to finally come forward,floodgates open slowly..isn't this supposed to be a tech site.sorry for using it as a gateway.

Last edited:

wiyosaya

TS Evangelist

14yr old who intended to take advantage of Spacey 30-years later? He must have had a good psychic. At this point, he lost a blackmail opportunity by going public with it. A civil trial might take years, and the "boy" probably cannot afford it.

Perhaps it might help to investigate the dynamics between abusers and the abused. There are those in the ranks of the abused that are not mentally capable of standing up to the abuser for whatever reason. This is commonly known in psychology. Those who are mentally capable do not succumb to the whims of the abuser and find a way to escape. So maybe you will call this fake news, but here is the story of one who was capable of standing up against an abuser and was much better off for it - http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/lupita-nyongo-harvey-weinstein-sexual-harassment-1202594789/

If there is interest, I am sure there are many stories out there of people who were not mentally capable of standing up to their abusers if one cares to look.

It is pretty easy to claim there is a war on men. Personally, I think it is about time that there are those who are finding the strength and mental capability to stand up for themselves.

As I see it, this is an effect of feudalism that has lent itself to modern society, in other words, "keep your hands off of my stack" to paraphrase lyrics from Pink Floyd's "Money". When society finds a way beyond the state of "I have to have it all and you can have none of it unless you are willing to let me abuse you", society will finally get beyond this kind of abuse.

Personally, I think these allegations are a step in the right direction. Netflix was about to end Spacey's series anyway, and I am sure Spacey has enough of a stack to keep his needs met for the rest of his life.

Besides, he has, more or less, taken responsibility for the act, which I also see as a step in the right direction. That is called positive accountability.

IMO, it is unfortunate, however, there is at least a portion of humanity out there that is scum, and it is about time that that scum gets rooted out.

I am sorry if you find it scary, but I am sure there are many others out there who also find it scary. I have often found it scary to face my own demons; I truly believe I am better for facing them.

wiyosaya

TS Evangelist
I 100% agree ddferrari, lie detector for all,Rapp may be lieing or telling a half-truth,at 14 and at a party ???? Where were the rest of the partiers,?how did they end up in the bedroom together?
drunk is no excuse.though its been used as an excuse for years.and with all his peers turning. On him ,there seems to be more to the story,that's yet to be revealed.some turn to booze to try to forget,what they had done or been put through.I was an alcoholic in my teens.
I quit all together on my own after release from the military.so I totally refuse to accept the drunk cop-out,which is what it is.and casting doubt upon himself ,did not help.many peers witness the questionable behavior.which I believe,is why so many turn suddenly.they now realize,there is more to the story,
Side note, now at mid 50's I only started to talk about my own experience ,a few years ago prior to my father passing.he actually knocked on the guys door looking for me ,was told I wasn't there,when I was in the guys bed,we had that conversation.the first time I had ever seen him cry like that.I went totally sideways.yeah I talk a lot.
this will make it easier. For other victims to finally come forward,floodgates open slowly..isn't this supposed to be a tech site.sorry for using it as a gateway.
You have nothing to apologize for, and I, at least, welcome your courage for relaying some of your experience.

You're right. drunk is a cop-out and stems, as I see it, from the story within those using it. Somewhere, part of that story was dark; to me, those stories and all that goes with them, have been passed down for generations untold; however, that is no excuse to pass the darker parts of those stories on to others.

Not everyone is mentally capable of standing up to an abuser whatever their age. I personally do not think there is a state where "should be capable" applies since, to me, that implies some sort of societal requirement on the development of human beings. Each and every human being is different, develops differently, and has a different story to tell. Those stories are neither good stories nor bad - just different. Either one is capable of standing up for themselves or one is not. If one is not, that is a reflection of one's own story, and I will say it again, those stories have been passed down through the generations. It is no excuse, but it is also something that is not to be ashamed of, either. Personally, I think that the path forward is to understand one's own story and turn it into strength, a force for good, and not, to the best of one's ability, to pass the darker parts of one's own stories onto another. I doubt that there has ever been a human who has not had a tussle with a dark part of their own story; it is part of what makes humanity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boilerhog146