Netflix is testing a linear programming offering in France

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Recap: Netflix was able to disrupt an entire industry by, well, being disruptive and going against the grain. At a time when linear television (watching a program on the date and time it is scheduled to air) was the norm, Netflix got behind on-demand programming. Consumers loved the idea of being able to watch whatever they want, whenever they want. Appointment television was out and “my time” TV was in.

It’s a bit puzzling, then, that Netflix would even consider experimenting with a linear offering but that is exactly what the company is doing in one major market.

Traditional TV consumption is apparently still quite popular in France, where “many viewers like the idea of programming that avoids having to choose what to watch.” As such, the streaming giant is testing a new feature in the region called Direct where “you can let yourself be carried away without having to choose a particular title and let yourself be surprised by the diversity of the Netflix catalog.”

Netflix has already started rolling the feature out in France, where it will be available exclusively online via your web browser. The real-time stream will be the same for all users, just like a regular television channel. No word on why it is only available online via web browser, and not through streaming devices like set-top boxes, game consoles, smartphones and smart TVs.

The company said it expects Direct to be available to all French members by the beginning of December.

Masthead credit: sitthiphong

Permalink to story.

I understand why Netflix wants it - it would basically serve as a way to advertise any of the content they have... they can then operate much like other "on demand" channels run now. HBO, for instance has a few "live" channels, as well as an "on Demand" section where you can watch whatever you want.

What I don't understand is why any consumers would want this... but then... some people are weird :)

It's something I have said about Netflix and similar, I don't get exposed much to new stuff as I play it safe when choosing and stick to what I know. Maybe this would help. However I don't see me using it tbh.

Make it "linear", and the advertising rates will change. If you KNOW you have x number of people watching a certain show, at a certain time, you can boost the ad rate, if any for that time period.

Make it "linear", and the advertising rates will change. If you KNOW you have x number of people watching a certain show, at a certain time, you can boost the ad rate, if any for that time period.

There aren't any adverts on Netflix.

Making it linear makes it harder for a subscriber to just buy one or two months of subscription to binge all the big shows, then unsubscribe until next time.

Ss long as this is just an option, fine. Considering that the missus can browse 30+ minutes before chosing the next featur to watch, I can even imagine that there is a viable use case for this :)
(legend has it that occassionally even I was lost for over a half an hour just browsing...but they can not prove it)

There aren't any adverts on Netflix.
Maybe this is a strategy to introduce them. Foxtel in Australia puts ads in its streaming channels and before and after 'on demand' shows - and it's still much more expensive than Netflix.

Maybe this is a strategy to introduce them. Foxtel in Australia puts ads in its streaming channels and before and after 'on demand' shows - and it's still much more expensive than Netflix.

Hope not, I quite like Netflix but I won't tolerate seeing ads in a service I'm paying for unless they are like the Prime ones where its just for other Prime shows, Maybe that isn't so bad but I still wouldn't be happy.

I don't think this approach changes things. If they want to compete directly with linear programming, they will have to put premieres and exclusives on those channels. The linear thing works more as a social event; you watch something the same time as everybody else and is able to talk about that the day after. Random old content won't satisfy that viewer need.

I understand why Netflix wants it - it would basically serve as a way to advertise any of the content they have... they can then operate much like other "on demand" channels run now. HBO, for instance has a few "live" channels, as well as an "on Demand" section where you can watch whatever you want.

What I don't understand is why any consumers would want this... but then... some people are weird :)
I wouldn't mind both.

When I am in a binge the shows I want to watch are there ready to go but if I just want to sit down and not fuss around with what I want to watch I might go to a live channel and just watch what is on at that time.

As long as they don't get rid of the original platform I'll be happy, however, if there are advertisements (from 3rd party companies) then I would hope the subscription price came down...

I guess I can kind of think of it like a curated spotify playlist. I don't think the article is portraying it quite right (though I may also be wrong here). They aren't trying to do what the Mandalorian is doing - having a set release time for each episode - but more just have channels of similar content. With this in mind, I doubt Netflix will stop a viewer from skipping an episode, or from diving into a binge, if they so choose.

Back