Netflix is testing an Ultra tier that could see users paying more

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Netflix could be preparing to introduce its most expensive tier to date. Some users in Europe have discovered an “Ultra” service plan that is costlier than the ‘Premium’ option. Should the change become permanent for everyone, subscribers on other tiers may find themselves losing some features.

First reported by TuttoAndroid, a number of Netflix customers in Italy and Germany have discovered the fourth service tier, which ranges from 16.99 Euros per month to 19.99 Euros.

In some cases, the new addition has resulted in the number of simultaneous streams on the Premium plan being halved from 4 to 2. Should Premium users want to increase this back up to four, they’ll have to opt for the more expensive Ultra tier, which has all of Premium’s other benefits including 4K playback. The move also affects the standard plan, where multiple simultaneous streams are eliminated completely—streaming will be possible on only one device at a time.

For other people, the change left the number of simultaneous streams the same for each current tier, but Ultra was the only option for those wishing to take advantage of High Dynamic Range (HDR) content—a move those with HDR TVs will argue is even worse.

While an Ultra tier priced at $16.99 or higher could come to the US, Netflix spokesperson Smita Saran told CNET, "We continuously test new things at Netflix and these tests typically vary in length of time. In this case, we are testing slightly different price points and features to better understand how consumers value Netflix."

There’s no guarantee that the Ultra tier will be rolled out to everyone, but if it is, many users will be unhappy about what appears to be a sneaky price hike. However, with the platform now the most popular way of watching video content on TV in the US, Netflix won't be concerned.

Permalink to story.

Yes, lets take away features and jack up the price. That totally didnt backfire on cable companies......

I've already let netflix lapse after the last hike due to lack of content, same with amazon prime, and never had hulu. More people I know are starting to drop these services due to higher prices. I wonder how long it will be until these companies realize they cant keep growing their revenue base without driving away more customers.

I guess not enough people cancelled after the last price hike. I already struggle to find anything I actually want to watch, I watch youtube much more. I think it's about time I cancel my subscription.
Its totally worth it. I pay for a month a year if there is something I watch, otherwise I pocket that $11 a month. $132 a year for C level movies just isnt worth it.

I got rid of NETFLIX when I found out on my old Capital One credit card was being charged for a few years of an odd payment number of $18.96 per month which I heard no plan with that charge exist!!! My People's bank card I knew was charging me the normal $12 or whatever it was. I also got tired of NETFLIX using the same movies on each category to make it look like they have a bigger selection. Also with that unfunny pig Amy Schumer and now Obama signing an agreement to make documentaries later this year on NETFLIX I had to drop them. They have gotten greedy, FUC* THEM!!!!!!!!!!

I have the new AMAZON STICK and added KODI and I'm very satisfied!

Last edited:
Like anything else on the market, cars, HDTV's, etc., people will pay what they can afford if they like what they get. If the price hike is too much to bear, move to a lower tier or drop Netflix. Simple solution. Eventually, all services, health care included, might be two tiers only, (1.) Infinite Tier for the wealthy, and (2.) Suckers Tier, for everyone else.

I got rid of NETFLIX when I found out on my old Capital One credit card was being charged for a few years of an odd payment number of $18.96 per month which I heard no plan with that charge exist!!! My People's bank card I knew was charging me the normal $12 or whatever it was. I also got tired of NETFLIX using the same movies on each category to make it look like they have a bigger selection. Also with that unfunny pig Amy Schumer and now Obama signing an agreement to make documentaries later this year on NETFLIX I had to drop them. They have gotten greedy, FUC* THEM!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like the only thing that you would want to watch is Faux news. SMH

Good, who in the heck watches 2 or more streams at the same time. That is just abuse.
Clearly, you don't have children :p

He doesn't, I need the full package because it's me, my wife, my kid and one other for visitor, when my family comes to my house and wan't to watch things I just use that account, and being realistic I think for the convenience and content they are producing it's a bit fare to increase a bit the price but not take features away they could invent something to compensate the price hike.

I will definitely be cancelling my account if this happens. I literally just want one stream in UHD HDR. Still find it ridiculous having to pay for the top tier now just to get 4k, when I only want one stream.

Don't really watch much at all on Netflix anyway, to be honest.

Sounds like the only thing that you would want to watch is Faux news. SMH

Wow gotta love the stupid random comments about politics on a tech site, so that must mean you hate Trump. I personally don't like Obama not just politic wise but for other reasons (sellout & liar & a pu$$y) but you had to bring politics into it . I don't have a favorite news station, I don't watch tv since I don't like being force feed bias garbage and tv is like 80% commercials. I get my news from gathering information from many sites be it YOUTUBE, LIVELEAK, LEAKEDREALITY, THEGUDDA, ETC. FACT- News showed white dude that was randomly punched by two people in NYC and the video DIDN'T show the important 10-15 mins or so of 4-7 random Black people searching his pants for his wallet & cell phone and one Black dude took a selfie with the victim unconscious!!!!!!! Yes the news didn't show the part where random Blacks were looting him! TV censors too much and doctors up stories. No thanks I'm not a sheep.

They sold out to Comcast when the throttling down was going on. So Comcast is calling the shots and to remove HD from the basic is crazy at best. I left them long time ago. YouTube most everything there just have to find it. I don't watch a lot like I use too...

Back