Netflix stock soars on stellar Q3 report

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: It's impressive to see Netflix's growth from a DVD-by-mail outlet to the industry's leading video streaming outfit, complete with compelling original content production. And to think, it all nearly fell apart with Quickster.

Netflix shares shot up more than 12 percent in after-hours trading on Tuesday following the release of its favorable third-quarter earnings report.

Subscriber growth is paramount and in this category, Netflix didn’t disappoint. Analysts predicted growth of 5.07 million users but Netflix managed to attract 6.96 million net additions. In total, Netflix now enjoys north of 137 million subscribers, 130 million of which are paying members.

As for earnings, Netflix generated $4 billion compared to the $3 billion it took in a year earlier. Diluted earnings per share checked in a $0.89 per share versus $0.29 per share during the same time in 2017.

The future is looking even brighter for Netflix as the video streaming outfit forecast paid net additions of 7.6 million and total net additions of 9.4 million, up 15 percent and 13 percent compared to the 6.6 million and 8.3 million from the year-ago quarter. Q4 is usually the most lucrative time for Netflix in terms of growth and revenue and there’s no reason to see why this year will be any different.

Permalink to story.

Now is the time to introduce a feature called...ADS! and for only 10 bucks more add another feature which removes all ads! Yes, you heard me, no ads! But seriously, do not do this. This world is choking on commercials. It is getting close to the point where it doesnt matter at all since an average brain builds immunity and automatically recognizes and blocks anything that refers to advertisement.

I'm worried that Netflix will just keep increasing their subscription now. When I first signed up it was £5.99 and they did freeze my price for 2 years even after they increased it to £7.99, so now I pay £7.99 but they can't keep upping the price 10-20% a year because they can. People will just switch back to torrenting or streaming their shows else where.

I had never seen netflix streaming until I tried the trial a couple months ago. The audio was so poor, I had to cancel. 2-channel audio in 2018? I tried searching for movies I absolutely love - the first 10 in a row I searched for they didn't have... wtheck?? No deal. Too bad. I really wanted a new way to watch movies. I don't like someone else picking and choosing what they will allow me to watch. :(

Anyone know of a service out there that has surround sound and lets me watch the movies I want? I built a HTPC rig, so no reason to waste money on buying yet another dedicated device.

Netflix is life, I literally pay nothing else for television besides this. Their original content is high quality and I never have enough time to watch everything.

Cancelled myself on last increase, only have again for 3 months due to psn offer, like someone said too many different services for content we need a one place for everything which unfortunately is and probably only ever will be illegally...

Back