Netflix will stop working on some older Samsung TVs, Roku devices next month

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Smart TVs have been around for a while now. If you jumped on the bandwagon early and bought a Samsung product, you might want to consider upgrading or risk losing Netflix.

Netflix yesterday said that a small number of older Samsung TVs would no longer support its service as of December 2, which the Korean giant says is due to technical limitations. "We've notified all impacted members with more information about alternative devices we support so they can keep enjoying Netflix uninterrupted," said a Netflix representative.

In addition to the older Samsung smart televisions no longer being supported, the first two Roku models and some Vizio TVs will also lose support from next month.

For owners of the affected TVs, Netflix suggests using a different device connected to the television. Supported game consoles, streaming media players, and set-top boxes will all allow users to continue enjoying the service—or they could just buy a new smart TV.

Netflix suggests heading to netflix.com/compatibledevices for a list of supported devices, though there doesn’t appear to be any specific Samsung models mentioned. Affected Roku models include Roku 2050X, Roku 2100X, Roku 2000C, Roku HD Player, Roku SD Player, Roku XR Player, Roku XD Player.

As an increasing number of streaming services appear, don’t be surprised to see more older smart TVs losing support in the future, as the technical limitations of these devices start to hit.

Permalink to story.

"Netflix suggests using a different device connected to the television"

Finally, a big company saying that forcing us to buy "smart" on TVs (or anything really, such as theater receivers) is a stupid idea and a waste of money. I bet the TV manufacturers are pissed. Welcome to the real world!

Honestly I’m impressed smart TV functionality has lasted as long as it has for these older devices. My smart TV is from 2014 and basically every app works still including YouTube, Crackle, Amazon Prime Video, and Netflix. There are some minor glitches or functionality loss, but nothing significant.

"Netflix suggests using a different device connected to the television"

Finally, a big company saying that forcing us to buy "smart" on TVs (or anything really, such as theater receivers) is a stupid idea and a waste of money. I bet the TV manufacturers are pissed. Welcome to the real world!

Netflix doesn't sell TV's, they sell subscriptions. They couldn't care less what you watch Netflix on, but recommending cheap options don't scare customers as much as saying you need a new TV.

Netflix doesn't sell TV's, they sell subscriptions. They couldn't care less what you watch Netflix on.

I know that, hence why I said TV manufacturers probably hate that netflix said to buy an external device preferably than a whole new TV. People will most likely go for the cheaper option now that they have been poked.

I know that, hence why I said TV manufacturers probably hate that netflix said to buy an external device preferably than a whole new TV. People will most likely go for the cheaper option now that they have been poked.

That's not what your comment says at all.

"Finally, a big company saying that forcing us to buy "smart" on TVs (or anything really, such as theater receivers) is a stupid idea and a waste of money."

Netflix didn't imply that at all. My reason is far more plausible.

And this is why Smart TV's suck... manufacturers don't care to update their software after a couple years - a lot like Android OS. I wish instead of their crappy proprietary OS in Smart TV's they'd just put in a regular x86 PC and it can come preloaded with their customized OS with media player but let us install whatever OS we want on it. Either that, or don't even bother with a damn computer and go back to "dumb" TV's. All we need is a display you can plug in a computer or Amazon Fire Stick or whatever you want and upgrade it as needed.

Honestly I’m impressed smart TV functionality has lasted as long as it has for these older devices. My smart TV is from 2014 and basically every app works still including YouTube, Crackle, Amazon Prime Video, and Netflix. There are some minor glitches or functionality loss, but nothing significant.

What do you mean you are impressed? Its like saying "I'm impressed that my house from 2014 is still standing".
YouTube have added 1080p in 2008, and to this day they still use the same codec with the same 5Mbps requirement. As long as YouTube has such videos and support them (including 360p, 480p, 720p) your smart TV YouTube app should be there and working...
Anything else is crying for big class action lawsuit, as the manufacturer post sales removes features that you have payed for and they did not specify that there is limited period of use for those features anywhere.
And honestly, those TV manufacturers are dump f*cks, noone will buy a new TV just because some app disappeared, they will buy box like me or re-use old smartphone/tablet or just cast it to TV, the only thing they achieve is users to hate them and move to another brand.

What do you mean you are impressed? Its like saying "I'm impressed that my house from 2014 is still standing".
That’s a terrible comparison. A better one would be with another tech device like a smartphone or laptop. These don’t work like new after 5 years. My TV does.

Besides, I didn’t buy the TV for the smart features like you, I bought it because it was a good deal. I do continue to use the smart features at times even with a backup device that works better. The only functionality loss I’ve faced were new features introduced in other devices.

And no, that wouldn’t be a class action lawsuit lol. The functionality was provided by the end user paying Netflix for their service, not the TV maker. Netflix and these other software providers are the ones that have supported these apps for 5+ years. The hardware and firmware provided by the TV maker will continue to work just fine even after Netflix disables apps in certain devices.

Or...you could unsubscribe from Netflix en masse and watch the resultant firings. It is, after all YOUR MONEY.

That’s a terrible comparison. A better one would be with another tech device like a smartphone or laptop. These don’t work like new after 5 years. My TV does.

Besides, I didn’t buy the TV for the smart features like you, I bought it because it was a good deal. I do continue to use the smart features at times even with a backup device that works better. The only functionality loss I’ve faced were new features introduced in other devices.

And no, that wouldn’t be a class action lawsuit lol. The functionality was provided by the end user paying Netflix for their service, not the TV maker. Netflix and these other software providers are the ones that have supported these apps for 5+ years. The hardware and firmware provided by the TV maker will continue to work just fine even after Netflix disables apps in certain devices.

Why would your laptop or smartphone won't work like new after 5 years? Jesus where do you live? I have 9 years old laptop still working like the first day I bought it, Smartphones too, as long as you maintain a piece of hardware it should work as long as the components allows it. All you need to do on a laptop is to send it every year to be opened clean from dust and replace cpu/gpu thermal paste and battery (batteries are consumable)... In fact I have custom firmware for my tablet from 2014 and its working much better then I bought it and its faster then some models manufactured in 2019 (benchmark tested and compared).

An LCD TV Life Expectancy is estimated at between 30,000 to 60,000 hours. The typical lifespan of a LED TV is around 80,000 - 100 000 hours. So lets take 60k as middle ground, 365 days x 6 hours a day working is 2190 hours per year, this means that the TV should be fine for 28 years. Its seems to me tech manufacturers successfully brain washed you that you need to renew your tech every couple of years, as this is what they want.

Also about the class action lawsuit, I spoke about YouTube, not Netflix. Netflix is payed monthly subscription service, so its different. YouTube is not an service, its an website, and the TV YouTube app is made by Samsung, not Google, so it is a feature, and you cannot just remove it as Samsung did for my TV. If I manually rollback to the old firmware, my YouTube app is there and it is working fine.
Furthermore my TV offered Skype app, and Samsung sold webcam for the TV at 100$, now the Skype app is removed too, and I can't do anything with this webcam. And this is only after 6 years... which is not even 30% of the Life Expectancy of the device.
This particular TV is manufactured in 2012, most TV programs today are 720p HD and a lot are FULL HD, and just a handful 4k programs exist, so there is nothing different from 2012 in terms of requirements. In fact, the CPU inside this 2012 TV and the other hardware is much much better and more capable then many 2019 "budget" smart TV's. So the hardware is more then capable to deliver what it is asked from it. When the majority of content becomes 8k and 4k, then we can speak for the need to buy something new.

Because there are people thinking like you, the manufacturers dare to increase the planned obsolescence to increase their profits and this is how we get to screw our planet with pollution.

I have 4 "dumb TVs" in my house. I bought them a few years apart as sizes escalated and prices dropped.

I opted out of a "Smart TV" at the 55" point. (I actually bought one, dropped and destroyed it trying to mount it on the stand). Went back to Walmart, and bought one that was stupid as a rock, and have been using it happily ever after, with a crap Rosewill antenna that mounts on the monitor bezel.

I do have a Samsung Blu-ray player which constantly nags for an internet connection. To which I softly murmur, "go **** yourself, just play the damned disc and shutup".

But granted, I'm old and backward, and hope to have at least one of these TVs buried along with me, along with of course,my '97 Suzuki Sidekick as a coffin.

I guess by that time, you guys will be arguing to the death, if 16K is really necessary, or elitist.

I can hear the humble brags wafting in from the future now, "I bought a 16 K TV, and I'm somewhat disappointed with its lame 2000 nit brightness".

Last edited:
Could this be due to the new AV1 codec and older chips can't handle it? Smart TV's are convenient and not necessary. They could make DUMB TVs but Smart TVs give them an excuse to inflate prices.

Could this be due to the new AV1 codec and older chips can't handle it? Smart TV's are convenient and not necessary. They could make DUMB TVs but Smart TVs give them an excuse to inflate prices.

Nope, when they use a new codec, they have the content in both new one and old one, and the file is served depending of the device support. When the old one stop being used or use percentage drops to 3-5% then they will stop using the old one. Its done before.

My girlfriends smart tv has had off and on Netflix issues for years. The network adapter died in year one. Luckily it was under Warranty and Samsung to their credit sent out a repairman to replace it for free. Even though she didn't have proof of purchase. I told them nicely, hey the model came out less then a year ago and it has a 1 year warranty, can you still help us? It's a 2012 or so model, they probably just don't want to continue updating the app. At one point this Samsung models software team and Netflix had some sort of feud, Netflix was down for a few months. I'd be amazed if this TV is not on the list.

YouTube have added 1080p in 2008, and to this day they still use the same codec with the same 5Mbps requirement. As long as YouTube has such videos and support them (including 360p, 480p, 720p) your smart TV YouTube app should be there and working...
Anything else is crying for big class action lawsuit, as the manufacturer post sales removes features that you have payed for and they did not specify that there is limited period of use for those features anywhere.
And honestly, those TV manufacturers are dump f*cks, noone will buy a new TV just because some app disappeared, they will buy box like me or re-use old smartphone/tablet or just cast it to TV, the only thing they achieve is users to hate them and move to another brand.
Finally someone with the same opinion as me. There is no technical reason the apps will not work on these older smart tvs. We have been wronged by the undoing of available apps on these devices. We should sue. SO how do we get this started. Because I can no longer stream to my Samsung smart tv either

Just a hint of reality paranoia.

First: You don't run any application in a Samsung "Smart TV". It says directly in the EULA, that your support and what you watch will be sent offshore. In prior years, that means South Korea. As soon as the memory and 'guts' are made fully in China, that means China also. No big deal to millenials since 'sharing' is what makes them 'unique', but a pretty big deal if you follow international politics.

Second: A 'shelf' device is orders of magnitude easier to maintain and update than the display mechanism. This does not even mention, that the big advertisers, Google, Comcast, Roku, Microsoft, Amazon, et al. are giving away updated external stuff below cost annually. I spend more on Dark Roast Keurig coffee per month than Roku and Firesticks cost. This is aside from having to move the TV to reach around back to plug the RJ-45 in when debugging problems.

Finally someone with the same opinion as me. There is no technical reason the apps will not work on these older smart tvs. We have been wronged by the undoing of available apps on these devices. We should sue. SO how do we get this started. Because I can no longer stream to my Samsung smart tv either
I don't know why this comes as a surprise to anyone familiar with consumer electronics.

The two companies most associated with smartphones, Samsung and Apple, regularly drop support for their "smartphones". Since the TVs' are reasonably close in price to their flagship phones, I assume they feel emboldened to begin considering their TV product as "throwaways" as well. You're just supposed to buy a new one.

For me, all this crap does is cause me to suggest you start using your desktop as a HTPC, and the damned television as a plain and simple monitor.

Last edited:
Back