Netherlands set to ban cyclists from using mobile phones

midian182

Staff member
In brief: The Netherlands is one of many countries where using a mobile phone while driving is illegal. Next year, this ban will be extended to include the nation’s 23 million bicycles.

A 2002 law makes it illegal for drivers of cars and trucks in the Netherlands to use mobile handsets that aren’t in hands-free mode. Those who ignore this rule face a fine of 230 Euros (around $266) if caught.

Dutch transport minister Cora van Nieuwenhuizen said the draft legislation, set to come into effect next July, will make it an offense "to hold a mobile electronic device while driving all vehicles," including bicycles, which are specifically mentioned in the new law.

Nieuwenhuizen says the current social media age, combined with unlimited mobile data plans, have changed how people use their smartphones and the time they spend on them.

Bicycles had been exempt from the initial ban because of their slow speeds, but the increase in electric bikes have seen these speeds increase. At the same time, the Netherlands' 22,000 miles of cycle lanes have become more packed. Nieuwenhuizen said, “using a phone is just as dangerous on a bike as it is in a car.”

“The fact is that whenever you’re on the road you should be paying full attention and not doing anything at all on a phone.”

According to the Transport Ministry, one in three 12 to 21-year-olds use their phones while cycling. It also says that handsets play a part in around 20 percent of bicycle accidents involving under 25s.

Last year, the Netherlands followed Germany and Australia by installing traffic lights into sidewalks to prevent smartphone-using pedestrians from wandering into busy roads.

Permalink to story.

Sounds like a good move, really. Laws are only not necessary if everyone is so thoroughly understanding that they would act sensibly even without the law.

At least in a car you won't tip over if you're holding a phone in one hand.

........Laws are only not necessary if everyone is so thoroughly understanding that they would act sensibly even without the law......
I'm not in favor of ever increasing amounts of laws, but unless people govern their own behaviour the government will be happy to.

I'm not in favor of ever increasing amounts of laws, but unless people govern their own behaviour the government will be happy to.
The problem however is when your behavior is not offending anyone. And you will now be governed even though you were regulating your own behavior. Any tool or device can be used in a reckless manor. And when governed, everyone will pay the price. They will be governed regardless of whether they need to be or not.

The biggest contribution to accidents is likely malfunctioning equipment that should not be used at all. And when people don't have a choice, they use what they can. And when things backfire the government thinks a fine is the solution. So instead of fixing faults, people are now paying fines.

Half the vehicles on the highway are accidents waiting to happen. Bad steering, faulty brakes, bald tires, and the list goes on. Arkansas used to have vehicles inspected before getting license. It was a joke really. But now we don't even do the inspections. Yet when one of them get in an accident driver fault is the first question that comes to mind. So now instead of regulating vehicle quality, we monitor driver cellphone activity. This is always the problem with regulations, they never seem to regulate that which needs to be regulated.

Ohh and the seat belt law does nothing. The accidents kill regardless of whether one wears a seat belt. Another regulation that shouldn't exist, especially if the regulation to fix faulty vehicles is going unchecked.

The problem however is when your behavior is not offending anyone. And you will now be governed even though you were regulating your own behavior. Any tool or device can be used in a reckless manor. And when governed, everyone will pay the price. They will be governed regardless of whether they need to be or not...….
completely agree, we are not as 'free' as we think we are. Fines mostly just help fill gov't coffers

........Laws are only not necessary if everyone is so thoroughly understanding that they would act sensibly even without the law......

Just put a sign "*****s not allowed" at the exit of every house. Once you act like a ***** you will be not allowed to leave your house until you can act like a normal human being.

But yeah, people are dumb so we have to have stupid laws, such a pity people can't behave.

Cyclists are the worst, they should make drivers license for cycling. Selfish morons with no regards to other peoples safety or law.

The problem however is when your behavior is not offending anyone. And you will now be governed even though you were regulating your own behavior. Any tool or device can be used in a reckless manor. And when governed, everyone will pay the price. They will be governed regardless of whether they need to be or not.

The biggest contribution to accidents is likely malfunctioning equipment that should not be used at all. And when people don't have a choice, they use what they can. And when things backfire the government thinks a fine is the solution. So instead of fixing faults, people are now paying fines.

Half the vehicles on the highway are accidents waiting to happen. Bad steering, faulty brakes, bald tires, and the list goes on. Arkansas used to have vehicles inspected before getting license. It was a joke really. But now we don't even do the inspections. Yet when one of them get in an accident driver fault is the first question that comes to mind. So now instead of regulating vehicle quality, we monitor driver cellphone activity. This is always the problem with regulations, they never seem to regulate that which needs to be regulated.

Ohh and the seat belt law does nothing. The accidents kill regardless of whether one wears a seat belt. Another regulation that shouldn't exist, especially if the regulation to fix faulty vehicles is going unchecked.

Wow, you really have no idea what you are talking about.

I am not a mechanic. I drive cars and also ride bikes. Oh, and just for a bit of fun, I actually understand the laws of my country and the reasons for those laws. By the way, when I said, "Wow, you really have no idea what you are talking about", that was a statement of fact, not an insult. So again, you really have no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited:
I find cyclists to be annoying. Especially the ones who are in their get up like they're in some marathon, crowding up a 2-lane road when there are tracks and streets that are made just for that. Kind of weird cyclist cult. Okay, I get it, you're into cycling. Do you mind getting the f*** off the road and do it where you have been accommodated?

Last edited:
Back