Network Security Ensurement

So I'm currently dealing with a internet stalker. I will not provide too much background information as I value my anonymity.

The stalker has access to all my outgoing traffic from my digital devices, this includes one desktop, two laptops, two phones and some TV consoles. I have anti-virus set up along with a firewall on the router and all computers. I have changed most password on internet services and even the router password. The stalking is not limited to one server but two as I use my other laptop outside of my house. The stalker can see all internet traffic emitted from my devices, what program/software/setup am I dealing with?

I'm currently also using a free VPN to write this. Will the usage of a free VPN help me any further in my situation? Is the stalker blind when using it?

See the wiki on VPNs - - yes, they use encryption so besides getting access, the stalker would need tools to hack that encryption - - the issue being, some are simple and others are AES level security

1. access to all my outgoing traffic from my digital devices
  2. I use my other laptop outside of my house
With (1) I would have said the stalker has physical access to you LAN and may have loaded alternative firmware into it. Use your router features to verify which devices are attached to your router. You should see the IP & Mac addresses and be able to identify which physical device each of them are. DO NOT USE WEP authentication, change to WEP-2.

Which is more secure WEP or wpa2?
Following are descriptions of the WEP, WPA, and WPA2 wireless security protocols: ... Wi-Fi Protected Access version 2 (WPA2): Based on the 802.11i wireless security standard, which was finalized in 2004. The most significant enhancement to WPA2 over WPA is the use of the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) for encryption.​

As a precaution, suggest you find the website for the maker of the router, go to the support or downloads link, download and install a clean copy of the latest version of the firmware.

(2) is challenging. Do not use the mobile feature Personal WiFi Hotspot - - you're begging for problems. Also, change the location you are using when away from home to alter the server you are using.

(3) two laptops, two phones are the suspect weak points. You can reset the phones to day-1 condition to 'purify' at least these devices.

At home, change your firewall from a Private or Home style to a PUBLIC network. Better protection, but you will loose print and file sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:
See the wiki on VPNs - - yes, they use encryption so besides getting access, the stalker would need tools to hack that encryption - - the issue being, some are simple and others are AES level security

1. access to all my outgoing traffic from my digital devices
  2. I use my other laptop outside of my house
With (1) I would have said the stalker has physical access to you LAN and may have loaded alternative firmware into it. Use your router features to verify which devices are attached to your router. You should see the IP & Mac addresses and be able to identify which physical device each of them are. DO NOT USE WEP authentication, change to WEP-2.

Which is more secure WEP or wpa2?
Following are descriptions of the WEP, WPA, and WPA2 wireless security protocols: ... Wi-Fi Protected Access version 2 (WPA2): Based on the 802.11i wireless security standard, which was finalized in 2004. The most significant enhancement to WPA2 over WPA is the use of the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) for encryption.​

As a precaution, suggest you find the website for the maker of the router, go to the support or downloads link, download and install a clean copy of the latest version of the firmware.

(2) is challenging. Do not use the mobile feature Personal WiFi Hotspot - - you're begging for problems. Also, change the location you are using when away from home to alter the server you are using.

(3) two laptops, two phones are the suspect weak points. You can reset the phones to day-1 condition to 'purify' at least these devices.

At home, change your firewall from a Private or Home style to a PUBLIC network. Better protection, but you will loose print and file sharing.

Firstly I want to thank you for the informative answer, it was exacly what I was looking for.

I took action accordingly to your instructions and I checked the server for traces of hardware and I couldn't find any. But I'm glad to hear that a VPN indeed would help me. I have analyzed my main desktop computer with antimalwarebytes and nothing was found, just to add that if it helps.

Should I just go all in with the VPN and hope that the stalker is unable to see my internet activity?

My concern is you state "everything outbound" - - imo, that's hard to prove. The most likely would be outgoing email spoofing by using a Proxy on the PC. That would allow all content to be captured.

I find it hard to believe that all your mobile devices are being monitored, regardless of where or how you connect.

Which antivirus is on the PC? A great many use a proxy to scan email & weblinks.

My concern is you state "everything outbound" - - imo, that's hard to prove. The most likely would be outgoing email spoofing by using a Proxy on the PC. That would allow all content to be captured.

I find it hard to believe that all your mobile devices are being monitored, regardless of where or how you connect.

Which antivirus is on the PC? A great many use a proxy to scan email & weblinks.

I expected that I would recieve that assumption from the day I decided to seek help. This stalking has been going on for many months and I have grown tired of it. I have much proof but I don't know why I should represent it here, clearly I only came here to get technical help. I considered to go to the police once but as I live in scandinavia and the laws about this are close to non-existant and for a successful charge it would have to be more serious.

I dont know any good IT-personell around here so thats why I turned for help on online forums. All I want is to secure my how my internet activity is circling around to prevent the stalker from getting any further information about my online activity.

It's not funny being watched online 24/7 which this stalker is doing. I know that this shady idividual has access to all my traffic becuase after executing 'bait' searches with various of different intel, this stalker knew all of this information.

And that is impossible unless he could see my internet search history.

EDIT: I use panda antivirus on my main desktop. Since I mostly use the desktop and one phone I only care about securing these two devices.

Last edited:
I expected that I would recieve that assumption from the day I decided to seek help. This stalking has been going on for many months and I have grown tired of it. I have much proof but I don't know why I should represent it here, clearly I only came here to get technical help.
Didn't suggest that
I know that this shady idividual has access to all my traffic becuase after executing 'bait' searches with various of different intel, this stalker knew all of this information.

And that is impossible unless he could see my internet search history.

EDIT: I use panda antivirus on my main desktop. Since I mostly use the desktop and one phone I only care about securing these two devices.
Do you also search on the mobile device and where are you when doing so - - home or hotspot?

I suspect a proxy or infection on your router. Search history implicates your browser environment - - 'not everything you do'. I am trying to be supportive and not throwing more stones at you :grin:
As a security measure, I myself disable browser history - - we can live without :)

• As noted earlier, refresh the router firmware, disable remote administration and remote help, use WPA2 encryption for the wifi, not WEP,change the admin password.
  • Suggest uninstall Panda and install another AV, like Avast! Free, has proactive scanning to protect email and weblinks.
Why? -- to remove possible backdoors!

I don't like the Cloud, Dropbox ... these store precious data where I can't vouch for the privacy. I do use Google email account to enable Calendar sync for phones, tablets, Mac & Pc, but to not sync contacts - - I export VCF files and import them manually when/where necessary.

I think we can protect your computer, but unsure about the mobile devices. There is a VPN app for iPhones btw.

Possible points where snooping is easiest:
  1. email
  2. messaging apps
  3. social media of all types
Good article on Email encryption is here

Didn't suggest that
Do you also search on the mobile device and where are you when doing so - - home or hotspot?

I suspect a proxy or infection on your router. Search history implicates your browser environment - - 'not everything you do'. I am trying to be supportive and not throwing more stones at you :grin:
As a security measure, I myself disable browser history - - we can live without :)

• As noted earlier, refresh the router firmware, disable remote administration and remote help, use WPA2 encryption for the wifi, not WEP,change the admin password.
  • Suggest uninstall Panda and install another AV, like Avast! Free, has proactive scanning to protect email and weblinks.
Why? -- to remove possible backdoors!

I don't like the Cloud, Dropbox ... these store precious data where I can't vouch for the privacy. I do use Google email account to enable Calendar sync for phones, tablets, Mac & Pc, but to not sync contacts - - I export VCF files and import them manually when/where necessary.

I think we can protect your computer, but unsure about the mobile devices. There is a VPN app for iPhones btw.

Possible points where snooping is easiest:
  1. email
  2. messaging apps
  3. social media of all types
Good article on Email encryption is here

I do use the mobile to browse on the internet, both home and outside, probably more than the desktop. I'm even writing this on the mobile as this is the only device where I am utilizing a free VPN - to hopefully hide my plans in defeating the stalker.

I will follow the recommendations and adjust router settings accordingly. I'm planning to also setup VPN on my desktop. After doing this I will wait and see, if the stalking persists, I will wipe or reset router/computer as you said.

In total there has been many changes in my security and the stalker will definitely notice a different - if the stalker can see anything at all. I will report back in due time. Thank you for offering help and educating me in computer security.

On more point; you should be using your system by logging on to a Limited User account and not the Admin account.
You can verify by accessing Control Panel -> User Accounts.

You will see User Name, { account type }, password status.

If you need to change the account type, tell me before you take action and I can help you save all your data and setup the admin correctly.

Back