Network shares appear but cannot open them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

I have a network of Windows XP Pro computers with Office 2003. Both are SP3 and fully patched via microsoft updates.

The network is a standard cat5e and connects to an unmanaged Gbit Switch. The server runs Debian linux and Samba is used for network shares.

A newly added laptop has a problem where after logging on the network shares display as expected under My Computer. I can use START - RUN - \\servername\sharename and the server shares contents displays as expected.

However if I double click on the share under My Computer I am prompted with "Chose the program to use to open this file: File: N:\"

If I browse and select C:\Windows\Explorer.exe then the share opens as normal. The tick box you always use this option is greyed out so I cannot tick it.

The user I am logged onto the computer as has full local administrator access.

Odly I can access the home drive of the user I am logged on by simply double clicking on the home network share for the user which is always mapped to H:

I am not sure if Windows Explorer is the issue or if it is a Samba configuration issue.

Othe rcomputers on the network operate correctly in terms of opening network shares by double clickign on the share icon under My Computer.

I would very much appreciate any assistance with this problem.

Thank you. Regards SC

"Chose the program to use to open this file: File: N:\"
Check the root of N drive (once you open it with Explorer again)
For a "autorun.inf" file (or any inf file) You may need to show all files and folders (including system files)
Once found, rename it to autorun.old, or just delete it

Thank you for your quick response.

There is indeed an AUTORUN.INF file in the network share. It contains the following.

[autorun]
open=
shell\open=Open(wvcst)
shell\open\Command=WScript.exe .\wvcst.vbs
shell\open\Default=1
shell\explore=Explore(0)
shell\explore\Command=WScript.exe .\wvcst.vbs

I have renamed them and will try logging on again tomorrow when I am back onsite.

Is there a reason it only affects newly added computers and not ones that have been on the network for a while?

Many thanks your advise.
Regards SC

Is there a reason it only affects newly added computers and not ones that have been on the network for a while?
Yes
These systems are more likely to get virus or trojans, due to the fact that the security files and Antivirus may not be installed.

Other than that, no !

Maybe you should do a few scans :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back