Network slowdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

josbd

I am running a wired network between two pcs. One is on XP, the other (a laptop) is on Win2K. We use an ntl cable modem and a Netgear router.

Whenever one pc is downloading, the other becomes noticeably slower... pages take ages to load etc.

Is there any way I can prevent this from happening?

All suggestions, as usual, gratefully received!

Thanks, in anticipation :D

Well, are you downloading something at your full bandwidth capacity? If your dekstop is downloading something at full capacity, then the laptop will be slower because the bandwidth is being taken up by the download. But if it is not taking up your whole bandwidth then something else might be up.

More advanced (newer) routers have a QoS feature where you can allocate bandwidth and give priority to specific machines.

Aye, it is the laptop that is stealing focus, and it prob has something to do with p2p downloading, so that is the likely answer.

Shall look into the QoS set up, and get priorities right here!!

Thank you both very much indeed!

if you place a switch between the router and cable all the PCs to it,
then other PCs will be able to get traffic thru. The DHCP configuration will
not be effected.

A hub allows bandwidth consumption, while a switch attempts to give full
bandwidth to all connections.

With respect, do I really need to add a switch? Should not the router work with the pc and laptop without the additional switch?

you're right -- it works fine. The suggestion of a switch is to allow better (ie more fair)
allocation of your bandwidth ONLY when it is under heaviest loads. When only
one system is active, it just doesn't make a difference at all.

......... and I am glad it isn't necessary, because I sold the switch on ebay last week!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back