Networking issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rollo1873

Hey, i'm not very technical when it comes to networkng, so i came across this forum and decided to ask for some help.

Basically in my house are two PC's running windows XP, they both connect to a netgear wired router. However, recently on the computer i use, no longer has a connection being shared to it. I am unsure on how to set up a new connection to the router, however have tried and everytime it has been unsuccessful.

If anyone has any troubleshooters or ideas to this. Please help me, much appreciated, thanks.

p.s. The admin pc in the other rooms' connection is still currently working.

Are you saying that the machine no longer has an Internet connection, or that you can't access shared files or folders? They are different problems.

If the former, the first thing to check is continuity: Is the ethernet cable securely plugged in at both ends, and do you get a link light on the router for the port the machine is connected to?

After continuity, does Windows report any network connectivity issues like "Limited or no connectivity" ? That message indicates it didn't get an IP address via DHCP.

Do you have any firewall software running on the machine? If so, try disabling it. Norton IS is particularly fond of disabling Internet access for no reason.

What browser are you using? Have you checked "Work Offline" ?

Et cetera.

Thanks for the reply.

Well, first of all, i no longer have access to the internet, however the ethernet cable is secure and windows does not report a connectivity issue.On my several times attempting to retreive a connection it finds nothing.

I use AVG Free which isn't known for any stupid blockages i'm sure, i use mozilla, and work offline is never turned on, because im usually always connected. However as far as i know, it's a technical difficulty, rather than silly properties lol.

Possible causes?

I should probably have told you this before but;

I reinstalled windows & default drivers, from discs i got with my fujitsu pc.

Any ideas from what these may have done?

lol, i didnt really understand that, but i've came across another problem, i was told on another forum that i apparently needed new drivers for the adapter - Which i tried to install, however it told me, "Can not find SiS SiS190 pr SiS191 adapter, Please check NIC connected"

What does device manager tell you about your NIC card? Is it operating normally? Some times there is a light next to where the ethernet cable plugs into the PC. Is there one and is it lit when the PC is up and running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back