Networking issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorrow

Hi, a friend of mine has recently purchased a new rig, and saddly his internet isn't working. He has 64 Bit Vista, so I have no idea how to work that. He got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320022 as his adaptor. His motherboard is a Asus P5QL Pro. He said that he's only getting a local connection, if not any connection at all. When he tries to diagnose and repair, it said it failed because the router didn't respond. I'm clueless to why this is happening, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is there available there a computer that does connect?

If so do this on the working computer...

Drag mouse with left button down across the lines inside the box below then paste to an open CMD prompt and hit enter, ignore any errors for now.

Code:
@echo off
ipconfig /all >"%USERPROFILE%"\Desktop\ipconfig.txt

netsh interface ip show config >"%USERPROFILE%"\Desktop\lac.txt

netsh winsock show catalog >"%USERPROFILE%"\Desktop\lsp.txt

netsh dump >"%USERPROFILE%"\Desktop\netshout.txt

ping 192.168.1.1 >"%USERPROFILE%"\Desktop\ping.txt
exit
exit
Reboot see new icons on desktop, paste contents of ipconfig lsp and tcp.txt back to thread.

Mike

Sorry, I couldn't paste it all in a reply since it was too long, and I suppose the netshout file is the tcp.txt

Do the same once more as i have edited the Box. But attach only the lac.txt,

You may delete theses files after that.

Now copy the (edited ) box into a wordpad document get this document to the effected computer and do the same paste operation. Then back to me!

Mike

My omission post me the ping.txt files from both computers.

Also go to control panel network and Sharing Center.
Set Network to private
Network Discovery on
File Sharing on
Public Folder Sharing on
Printer Sharing on
Password protected sharing off
Media sharing off

The below will set the LAN IP to a static IP of 192.168.1.20
Code:
netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection" static 192.168.1.20 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1 1
Paste the line in the Box to an open cmd prompt.

Reboot and test.

Mike

Nothing changed =/

Edit: Now he saids that he can't find any settings under network and sharing anymore.

OK lets put it back like it was

Paste this to an open cmd prompt.
Code:
netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" dhcp
Then run the operation in post #2 again only on non working computer.

Then reboot.

Do you have light on the Ethernet (Network adapter) on the back of computer? Do you have a corresponding light on the Router? Test by unplugging the cable from the back of computer. If no light goes off or comes on when plugging unplugging the you may have a bad cable or port on Router. Switch cable on router to another empty port. If light comes on then the former port is bad.

Then if no light switch cables!

If you do have lights then do the below.

Go to Control panel User accounts and turn off UAC (User Account Control) then Turn off the Firewall. Then reboot!

Let me know!

Mike

I can't contact him at this time right now but I have received offline IMs that might change the situation

"Local Connection is available, but i don't know how to get it. on Local Connection, in the network and sharing center window, it says i'm connected to an unidentified network. doesn't allow me to connect to the internet "

The WLAN card's light won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back