Networking Nightmare.....please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, I'd like to say hello to everybody in the techspot forums. This is my first thread, so bear with me here....
I'm trying to network two computers. One is an emachines w3107 running XP home SP2. The Other is a home-build with the same OS. Everything was fine until one day, the inevitable crash came through on the home-built (which has an MSI K7N2 mobo in it). I went from win XP Pro to XP home edition sp2, and the troubles began. I have researched the sp2 networking bug and downloaded the registry fix and updatre and installed them on both computers to no avail. The hub is a linksys nh 1005 5-port hub, and always worked fine before this. I have checked the cables and connections and all is secure. Now, I can build a great gaming computer, but my knowledge of net works is VERY limited. I went on to set static ip addresses for both computers, 192.168.0.1 for the emac, 192.168.0.2 for the home build. The Emachine connects to the internet using a dial-up connection. This seemed to resolve the issue of little or no connectivity....but the computers still refuse to see each other or share files through the hub. They show valid LAN connections, but they lie. No connection. The Emac connectsd to the internet fine, though. I have both subnets set to 255.255.255.0 Any Ideas? Boy, I hope there is an easy fix for this one......sucks not having a shared connection, now I have to use hher computer for the net.....lol.....help

Can you ping each computer?

Have you got firewalls on the computers? Are they enabled? Or is the network allowed through the firewall?

emac w3107..............
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : YOUR-9CDC18FC53
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

PPP adapter EarthLink patriciadixon@earthlink.net:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 4.156.100.206
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 4.156.100.206
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 207.69.188.185
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

NOt sure if this really helps....I don't know how to 'PING' them......this is the info for the emac.......ill post the info for the other computer soon.

ping: goto start>run cmd
type in ping ipaddress

one thing you might have overlooked.. workgroup names are supposed to be the same and files/folders shared options activated

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ping ipaddress
Ping request could not find host ipaddress. Please check the name and try again.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ping/ipaddress
Value must be supplied for option /ipaddress.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

Am I missing some command parameter? BTW, I checked and file and printer sharing is on, and both computers belong to MSHOME.

Loucifer1 said:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ping ipaddress
Ping request could not find host ipaddress. Please check the name and try again.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ping/ipaddress
Value must be supplied for option /ipaddress.

Am I missing some command parameter? BTW, I checked and file and printer sharing is on, and both computers belong to MSHOME.

No. Put this command in, say computer A has ipaddress 192.168.0.5 then in computer B type in " ping 192.168.0.5 "

See if it gets a response.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ping 192.168.100.2

Pinging 192.168.100.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.100.2:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

changed address from 192.168.0.2 TO 192.168.100.2 changed third number to 100 on both pcs, no difference..

here are the pings from the home-build...................

C:\Documents and Settings\Black Mamba>ping 192.168.100.1

Pinging 192.168.100.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.100.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\Black Mamba>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LOU
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-09-5D-F7-5A
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

how is the first machine connected to the wan internet
do you have something like 2 nics in first machine and one nic in 2nd
if this is true
the 2nd nic going to the other machine must be setup as dhcp
best bet is to use the ICS xp
set the 2nd nic to dynamic set the 2nd machines nic to dynamic
run ICS on first machine
be aware that xp home both machines need to log in as the same user and password
the cable between the 2 is cross over right
you may have heard this befor ,but you should get yerslef a nice little router and this will all go away
and xp home is the pits

Finally!

I figured it out! I had just signed up for earthlink dial up...and the disk they sent had an 'accelerator' included. This accelerator changed some proxy settings. And killed connectivity. What a bunch of crap just to click a box, lol. Once again, thanx to all who responded to this post.

Lynne

You need to have both computers in the same workgroup for them to see each other. Go to My Computer/Computer tab/check the workgroup on each computer and make sure it's the same. You can change the name of the workgroup on the computer tab.

From my experience with the new windows editions networking is a breeze. You go into My Network Places, Run Network Setup Wizard. Set it to the right things and your choice of workgroup name. Then at the end it asks if you want to make a Network Setup disk. You do this, then you take the disk and run it on the other computer. Restart both and i would think all would work. I remember back with WIN98 setting the IPs and everything. But since i believe i started using ME the network pretty much set itself up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back