networking printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedster

I have a desktop connected to the net through a regular router to a cable modem.

The router has a wifi access point connected to it so I can use my laptop elsewhere in the house.

I want to set up a system where I can print from my wifi laptop to my non wifi desktop.

How do I do this?

You can either buy a Network enabled printer such that it can live on the net as a stand alone device or share it on the computer that it is attached to and then the laptop could use the wired computer as a print server.

nope - I don't want to buy anything. My printer works fine. I have a standard LPT printer conected to my desktop. I just want to print from my desktop computer from my wireless laptop. I know it can be done. Networking is not my forte.

Then all you have to do is share the printer on the computer it is attached to and you will be good to go.

The only draw back to doing it this way is that the computer that the printer is connected to will have to be on if you want to print from the laptop. The wired computer will act as a print server.

have you tried the standard wiz
name the printer and tick share this printer
then go to other machine and use the wizard to find it
you may need to load the drivers on that machine
if it does not find it then it may not use it's on memory to spool
some printers can not be networked with out special print server card

Samstoned said:
have you tried the standard wiz
name the printer and tick share this printer
then go to other machine and use the wizard to find it
you may need to load the drivers on that machine
if it does not find it then it may not use it's on memory to spool
some printers can not be networked with out special print server card
thanks - I got it to work.

yeah, I kept trying to use the printer that was already in the laptop (looking for network settings)- but of course it was a local printer (and not hooked up to anything because it was hooked up to my desktop). I had totally forgotten that you need to add a (network) printer - even if it is the same dang printer!

boy I feel like a dumbazz - then again I hate networking it is such a pain in the rectum.
thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back