netwroking and ICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had 2 netwroked computers sharing a broadband connection for months. All of a sudden it stopped working correctly. After reinstalling the network things, the gateway works great, the other computer regocnises the connection and lists it in network connections. I can run internet programs like Outlook express and AIM, but when i try MSN or web browsers, it says server cannot be found. Any ideas? thanx

Try this:

-Stop ICS on the internet connected machine.
-On the other machine, run this command in a command prompt:

ipconfig /release

-Reboot the internet connected machine, and then put ICS back on.

-Run this command on the other machine:

ipconfig /renew

A simple refresh of ICS is all that is often needed, even if you have reinstalled TCP/IP and other networking components. Also, check in the LAN settings for the browser on the machine that's having problems, make sure that automatically detect settings stuff is all unticked.

well it didnt let me renew as it said something about "no adapter is in a state to have this operation performed on it" or something like that. Anyhoo, i disconnected and clicked repair a few times, did a few restarts and its working again. I hear that loads of people get problenms with windows networking,.. mines never been any bother.. though saying that i hope it holds up. cheers anyhoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back