New $1,000ish gaming rig for Arma II, BF3 etc.

xxAuSxx

• What are you going to use the PC for?: Gaming ( Games such as ArmA II, Day Z and BF3 )
  • How much is your budget?: $1000-1050
  • Where are you located? (a.k.a. fill out your profile): I live in Australia which might make this a bit more difficult.
  • Are you willing to buy online?: Buying online is what I was wanting to do.
  • Are you going to re-use any parts from an earlier build?: No.
  • Do you need other peripherals like a monitor, keyboard and mouse, among others?: No, I already have decent parts along them lines.
  • Have you already bought any parts?: Not yet, I'm wanting your feedback and advice.
  • Do you have an Operating System (OS)?: Yes, I'll be running Windows 7.
  • Will you need any aftermarket cooling, such as a CPU\GPU cooler or a watercooling setup?: Im not planing to overclock at this moment.

Hey :) good to see somebody using the outline to give us the information.
I also live in Australia, and don't worry there's some good shops around here.
so it would help if you told me in which state you live:
VIC: www.pccasegear.com
QLD: www.umart.com.au OR www.msy.com.au
I personally used MSY and had no issues with them.

not sure about the other states, sorry.

anyway, since you have a decent budget I'm sure we can find something right for you. I'll just throw together a quick list for you then.

Case option 1: Corsair Carbide 400r - $118
(this is more on the classy/sleek design side. I have one of these myself and can say it's a great case)
Case option 2: Coolermaster CM-690 II windowed edition - $119
(this is more on the showy/LED's/windowed design side)
CPU: intel i5 3570 - $219
(since you aren't planning to overclock)
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO - $36
(It's always good to have an aftermarket cooler. Quieter, better temps, aesthetics, and prolonged CPU life)
Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 560Ti OC'ed edition- $249
(this thing is damn powerful, should handle all modern games with ease.)
SSD: Samsung 830 64GB - $79
(OPTIONAL- but would be a nice addition to your build, will make loading things much faster)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB - $69
(for storage. not sure how much space you need so went with cheaper option for now)
Memory: Corsair CMX 8GB (2x4GB 1600MHz) - $59
(more than enough RAM for gaming/general use)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H - $135
(nice solid motherboard)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB SATA drive - $22
(not much to say. It reads and writes just fine.)
Power Supply: Seasonic S12II - $99
(this thing is rock solid. Seasonic is one of the most reliable PSU manufacturers out there.)

TOTAL: $1,085
I know its a couble bucks over budget but it'd be well worth it.

TOTAL: (without SSD) $1,006

This is just a quick list I threw together and I'm sure it could use some refinement, which no doubt some other TS members will provide. good luck, and if you have any further questions, feel free to ask!

Hey :) good to see somebody using the outline to give us the information.
I also live in Australia, and don't worry there's some good shops around here.
so it would help if you told me in which state you live:
VIC: www.pccasegear.com
QLD: www.umart.com.au OR www.msy.com.au
I personally used MSY and had no issues with them.

not sure about the other states, sorry.

anyway, since you have a decent budget I'm sure we can find something right for you. I'll just throw together a quick list for you then.

Case option 1: Corsair Carbide 400r - $118
(this is more on the classy/sleek design side. I have one of these myself and can say it's a great case)
Case option 2: Coolermaster CM-690 II windowed edition - $119
(this is more on the showy/LED's/windowed design side)
CPU: intel i5 3570 - $219
(since you aren't planning to overclock)
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO - $36
(It's always good to have an aftermarket cooler. Quieter, better temps, aesthetics, and prolonged CPU life)
Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 560Ti OC'ed edition- $249
(this thing is damn powerful, should handle all modern games with ease.)
SSD: Samsung 830 64GB - $79
(OPTIONAL- but would be a nice addition to your build, will make loading things much faster)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB - $69
(for storage. not sure how much space you need so went with cheaper option for now)
Memory: Corsair CMX 8GB (2x4GB 1600MHz) - $59
(more than enough RAM for gaming/general use)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H - $135
(nice solid motherboard)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB SATA drive - $22
(not much to say. It reads and writes just fine.)
Power Supply: Seasonic S12II - $99
(this thing is rock solid. Seasonic is one of the most reliable PSU manufacturers out there.)

TOTAL: $1,085
I know its a couble bucks over budget but it'd be well worth it.

TOTAL: (without SSD) $1,006

This is just a quick list I threw together and I'm sure it could use some refinement, which no doubt some other TS members will provide. good luck, and if you have any further questions, feel free to ask!

One thing with MSY, There website seems a bit confusing.

yeah ahaha for MSY what you have to do is go:

1. www.MSY.com.au
2. click 'Online Order & pick up from one of our branches'
3. at this point you'd want to make an account so you can see whether they have parts in stock for you area.
you can register up the top right where it says: |Welcome to MSY Online, Guest. [Login] [Register]|
4. once logged in you can start navigating the website. The parts list is on the left sidebar.

also, MSY have some branches in NSW :) make sure you enter your location into the registration form.

yeah ahaha for MSY what you have to do is go:

1. www.MSY.com.au
2. click 'Online Order & pick up from one of our branches'
3. at this point you'd want to make an account so you can see whether they have parts in stock for you area.
you can register up the top right where it says: |Welcome to MSY Online, Guest. [Login] [Register]|
4. once logged in you can start navigating the website. The parts list is on the left sidebar.

also, MSY have some branches in NSW :) make sure you enter your location into the registration form.

Well, It all seems pretty good except for one thing... It seems that the Processor/ Some other parts aren't available in NSW ( In any Branch! )

Just wanted to pop in real quick and offer you up a warm felt "good luck" wish for your new build! Sounds like xcylent assembled you a fairly decent list to go by. It all looks very good and if you complete this, it should provide you years of rock solid gaming!

Again, good luck! :)

Well, It all seems pretty good except for one thing... It seems that the Processor/ Some other parts aren't available in NSW ( In any Branch! )

Hmm I had feared that. while MSY have excellent prices, they tend to not have as much stock as other stores.
perhaps take a look at www.scorptec.com.au or just google 'NSW computer shops' . Please do not hesitate to ask any other questions :)

Even if you aren't planning to overclock at the moment the 3570K is still a good idea in case you decide to give it a go in the future (it's VERY easy).

Also if the rumours of the price and performance of the 660Ti are true then it's definitely worth waiting for that.

Even if you aren't planning to overclock at the moment the 3570K is still a good idea in case you decide to give it a go in the future (it's VERY easy).

Also if the rumours of the price and performance of the 660Ti are true then it's definitely worth waiting for that.

I'm not disagreeing here, but with those two additions, the final price would be well over budget
OP, what are your thoughts? can you afford it?

Also, I slightly redid the list:

[FONT=Arial] Antec One Gaming Case [FONT=Arial]In stock[/FONT]$65.00[/FONT]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[FONT=Arial] Intel Core i5 3570 [FONT=Arial]In stock[/FONT]$219.00[/FONT]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[FONT=Arial] Gigabyte Radeon HD7850 2GB OC [FONT=Arial]In stock[/FONT]$265.00[/FONT]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[FONT=Arial] Samsung 830 Series 64GB SSD Retail Box [FONT=Arial]In stock[/FONT]$79.00[/FONT]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[FONT=Arial] Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST1000DM003 [FONT=Arial]In stock[/FONT]$89.00[/FONT]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[FONT=Arial] Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 [FONT=Arial]In stock[/FONT]$69.00[/FONT]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[FONT=Arial] Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Motherboard [FONT=Arial]In stock[/FONT]$135.00[/FONT]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[FONT=Arial] Samsung SH-222BB SATA DVDRW Drive OEM [FONT=Arial]In stock[/FONT]$22.00[/FONT]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[FONT=Arial] Seasonic M12II 520W Modular PSU [FONT=Arial]In stock[/FONT]$109.00[/FONT]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[FONT=Arial]Sub-total: $1,052.00[/FONT]

CHANGES:

1. Downgraded case. The 400r is a nice case, but it's a bit pricey. plus if you're not a stickler for incredible cable management and features, then the Antec one is fine. Plus Antec have earned a reputation for making very solid budget cases, So I think you'd be happy with this one.

2. Removed aftermarket cooler.
Ivy Bridge runs cooler and consumes less power than the other intel/AMD chips. Even though it would be better to have an aftermarket cooler, you can still be within comfortable temperature ranges with the stock cooler. However once you have saved up enough money I would definitely go for an aftermarket cooler, be it liquid or air cooling... just for the sake of longevity and comfortable temperatures.

3. Upgraded the Graphics card.
The 7850 performs marginally better than the 560Ti. You would receive better gaming/rendering performance. plus, with the newer 28nm architecture of the 7850, you will be futureproofed.

4. Upgraded RAM.
From the Corsair CMX to the Vengeance series. Better aesthetics and performance from the Vengeance series. plus, with the heat spreaders on the vengeance RAM, it will result in cooler temperatures.

5. Upgraded Hard Drive.
from 500GB to 1TB. It's always good to have a bit more room.

6. Upgraded Power Supply.
From the non-modular Seasonic unit to a higher quality, modular Seasonic PSU. I think you'd be happier with this one in the long run. also it would result in a cleaner build thanks to the modular cables.

These parts are all available on www.pccasegear.com

let us know what you think.

well hey there you go. good work on the find :)
keep us posted :) feel free to message me aswell if you want to talk more about the build.
(to do that, click my name then click 'start a conversation')

Back