New Apple iPad incoming later this year, reportedly not the iPad 3

Emil

Staff

The next version of Apple's iPad tablet may not be the iPad 3. FBR Capital Markets analyst Craig Berger claims Cupertino will instead release an iPad 2 Plus, or something along those lines.

"There are some indications from the supply chain that Apple may look to introduce an 'iPad 2 Plus' device as they put out request for quotes from various component suppliers for this marginally different device," Berger wrote in a note to clients. "We now hear that component makers have received request-for-quotes (RFQs) from Apple for an 'iPad 2 Plus', though no production schedule has yet been confirmed with suppliers."

Berger says there is reason to believe the new device may be slated for a late 2011 launch. The iPad 2 was announced and started shipping in March 2011. In other words, Apple would be releasing an iPad 2 successor less than a year later.

Maybe this is why Apple doesn't want to call the device "iPad 3." The company may be looking to limit the backlash it will get for making the iPad 2 obsolete so quickly. Regardless of the name though, many people will likely quickly pick it up, just because it's new. It makes great business sense to release a new iPad in time for the holiday season.

Earlier this month, we learned a new iPad had just recently been added to the production schedule of Apple's supply chain. Just like for the new iPhone, small volumes are expected in August, with units ramping up in September and October. The new iPad is supposed to be even thinner and lighter, with a panel resolution increase.

This isn't the first time that Apple has given an odd name to a successor. The first iPhone was released on June 29, 2007. Instead of releasing the iPhone 2, Apple introduced the iPhone 3G on June 9, 2008. Next, the iPhone 3GS was announced on June 8, 2009 and arrived on June 19, 2009.

The iPhone 4 was announced on June 7, 2010 and released on June 24, 2010. It's thus not clear if the next iPhone will be have some variation of "iPhone 4" or if it will be called the iPhone 5.

Permalink to story.

Apple Trolls : OMG!! A NEED that NEW thing with the same stuff of the #2 but this is #2+...

Normal People: :toast:

Steve Jobs is still waiting for God to speak to him out of a burning bush, to tell him what to call it.

And in the news on this sunny day in July 2013, Apple have just released their all new iPad 499 to huge queue's of eagerly awaiting Apple fan's at its stores......:haha:

captaincranky said:
Steve Jobs is still waiting for God to speak to him out of a burning bush, to tell him what to call it.

You have that backwards Cap'n, in his mind Steve Jobs is the sole resident of the burning bush.

Archos 101 > ipad2
Archos 101 price = 350 $ < ipad2 price = 500 $ min

captaincranky said:
You have that backwards Cap'n, in his mind Steve Jobs is the sole resident of the burning bush.
No Steve, that's not a burning bush, that's your hemorrhoids "flaring up".

He's hard at work at an apotheosis app, gotta sit down for that.

And to contribute to conversation:
iPad 1 - iPad 2 = 1
1 > 0

AntiSec should knock out all the Apple servers when this and the iPhone 5 comes out.

Kick the cult of Apple in the sack please.

LOL. Coworker just got one last week, she's gonna be ticked.
Apple drones...anything Jobs comes out with, they are like zombies, will line up to throw their money at it.

"Regardless of the name though, many people will likely quickly pick it up, just because it's new."

While people are anxious to throw their money at new technology, few companies deliver like Apple (AT THIS POINT IN TIME).
Apple is king in certain categories while in others like IMACS they leave much to be desired. Just to clarify..................IMAC screens suffer from yellowish tint way to often and when your paying $2000 +
you deserve a mint machine
Apple has the community for now until someone beats them which is not happening.
IPHONE5 and IPAD3 had best show some great features if they intend to keep the pace.

Welcome to the home of the antiApple cult where the antiSheep flock to bad mouth iPads to help take their mind off their hemroid problems.

I recently got the IPad2 three months ago and it does everything I wanted it to do. It my first one as I did not by the first version. It is strange that I am 'not' excited by this news? Maybe because I feel no need to upgrade just because the only thing I read is they upgraded the name.

Back