New Build POST Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks,
A new build; Asus P5KPL-CM MB, Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor E5200, Corsair Mem. TWIN 2X4096-6400C5 R and an Ultra X4 400 Watt Micro ATX Pwr Sply. Weird situation. When the system is cold (not run for 15 minutes or more)and I try to start, the pwr sply, cpu and case fans all run. I get HDD led blink for about a second and then no further progress. No POST, nothing. Pressing the reset button does nothing. I need to shut off the pwr sply switch, turn it back on and start again. I get no startup error beeps, but I don't know if this MB offers this option (Tried running without DDR2 memory and no beeps). Sometimes it starts on the 2nd or 3rd try. When it does start, I get the HDD led blink, and now the keyboard lights blink, and then the POST screen appears (post shows all components correctly) and I get a normal boot into Windows 7 Home Premium (32-BIT). Passed MEMTEST86+. It seems that something needs to warm up before it sees everything, Can anyone help?
John

the E5200 is not supported without an BIOS update. you need at lest BIOS version 0606 but 0608 is the newest. what you need to do is buy this Intel Celeron 430 so you can flash your BIOS, or you can take is to a computer shop so they can do it for you. i think it will be cheaper to buy the cpu and do it your self

The P5KPL-CM came loaded with the version 0608. Today I took the whole build apart, used an ATX power supply and assembled it all on a piece of cardboard. while it was out of the case, I cleared the RTC RAM. Returned the jumper, reinstalled the battery and fired it up. No change, I needed to restart it about 4 times before it progressed right through to the windows desktop. Once there, everything works fine. I can restart it from this point any number of times successfully. However, If I shut it down for about 15 minutes It refuses to boot on the first try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back