New Computer Build: Monitor doesn't turn on / Monitor doesn't initalize

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyPe-ZeRo

Everything turns on, fans and everything. It's a completely new build. No input detected from a Samsung monitor.

I've swapped ram sticks to see if one of them is dead
I've reseated the video card

Don't know what to do.

Gonna pop my 4870 X2 into the computer to see if the video card is DOA. If not, the motherboard?

your vga could be causing the issue, but that's only if you dont have onboard video as well.

Next time you post with a problem, make sure you give us detailed specs of your rig, when you dont its like saying "Hey, I have a red car, and it wont start."

your vga could be causing the issue, but that's only if you dont have onboard video as well.

can you elaborate on this? i just built my first computer, was delighted when it turned on and nothing beeped, but then i got my monitor all set up and situated, and that has no signal (same as the author of this thread). the monitor definitely works, ive been using it.

everything is lit up, running, doesnt make any weird noise, etc, but the monitor just doesn't work. it has 2 dvi ports in the back of the gpu, and no onboard video support

specs:
asus p6t deluxe v2
i7core 920
xfx 4890 1 GB
700 watt psu
6 GB OCZ obsidian ddr3 ram

like i said, no beeping, but no pictchaz either. i have 2 power cables going from the psu to the motherboard, and everything is working... except no picture.

i am just confused. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

(aside: sorry for resurrecting a semi-old thread. i just wanted to inquire about that specific quote^)

@ xfirestormx : It doesn't beep when you turn it on? That means your BIOS fails POST.

Have you tried running your system on another monitor?

It doesn't beep when you turn it on? That means your BIOS fails POST.

Have you tried running your system on another monitor?

? it says in the asus manual that if it beeps that is a problem indicator (1 beep = problem with xxxx component of the system). i thought it was a good thing for it not to beep

i don't have another monitor :/. im in a house full of laptops.

oh, also: when the computer turns on, i turn on monitor, turn on psu, press power button, and it turns on. everything starts running. however, when i press the power button again, it just keeps running. i have to switch it off from the psu which isnt good. i reeeeeaaaally dont want the mb to be doa...

Some problems will cause the Power On Self Test to not function at all. The most common reason for the POST to not occur is a BIOS failure. ( assuming power supply is working). There are many reasons for the BIOS to fail. Most common is a failed BIOS flash. YOu would be very surprised at how many BIOS flash failures occur. Other reasons for BIOS failure are, BIOS corruption due to virus or malignant code, static charge, electrical surge, and physical damage to pins.

I suggest you first read this : https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic95391.html

Take out your mobo battery and leave it for about 10 minutes to try and reset your BIOS. (If another method is explained in your mobo manual then please use that.)

Some problems will cause the Power On Self Test to not function at all. The most common reason for the POST to not occur is a BIOS failure. ( assuming power supply is working). There are many reasons for the BIOS to fail. Most common is a failed BIOS flash. YOu would be very surprised at how many BIOS flash failures occur. Other reasons for BIOS failure are, BIOS corruption due to virus or malignant code, static charge, electrical surge, and physical damage to pins.

I suggest you first read this : url

Take out your mobo battery and leave it for about 10 minutes to try and reset your BIOS. (If another method is explained in your mobo manual then please use that.)

guhhhhhhhh ok thank you.

its straight from the factory, brand new. personally, im sure that it isnt static discharge, i wore an antistatic strap and obsessively touched the case and pipes and was extremely careful. youre saying that they flashed the bios incorrectly when built?

i will definitely try this when i get home, thanks. do you think this is a serious problem or something that can be fixed? obviously if the mb is damaged its serious, but the bios problem can be solved, correct? im not very well educated in this field (as is probably very evident at this point haha)

Hopefully it can be solved. However, there are never any guarantees. Good luck. Get back to us with your results. :)

Note: It would be worthwhile to re-seat everything on the mobo once again.

wow. was the solution to this problem simple.

went home from a long day at work. re-plugged in everything. was helped by a friend of mine. thought it might be the gpu. then the psu. then the mobo and cpu. i was really starting to worry about the looming battery replacement and possible RMA in my near future.

then he said "wait, which slots do you have the ram plugged into?". i had plugged in my ram into the 2nd slots (there are 6, they go black red black red black red, and i plugged into the black ones). switched the ram to the red, and it ported immediately when i started it up. cant believe i missed this.

the mistake was intuitive (since you would think the slots would count 1-2 from left to right and not 2-1), but ultimately it was sloppy reading of the manual from myself.

so long story short: check which slots to plug the ram into.

thanks for the help though, i do really appreciate it.

now, since this is my only upgrade in the last 5 years, i need to decide what game to play first...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back