New computer fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

twite

Hi, i just built a new computer for my freind, and after about 15-25 seconds from startup, it shuts down.

Their was a cable that looked like it should plug into the leds that had 2 wires and then a round black object at the end of it. I was unfamilair with this and didnt see it listed in the mobo manual, so i didint plug it in..could this be the problem?

specs- sapphire x1800xt
Dfi infinity 975x mobo
conroe e6300
1 gig g-skill ddr2 ram
seagate 160 gig 7200 rps HD
Rosewill 500W psu, 2 12v - 1st 12 v-18A 2nd-16A

Help would be wonderful

Nope, the part you talk about sounds like a pizo electric buzzer which is equivalent to the pc speaker.

Plug it in to the pc speaker socket on the mobo (making sure the + and - are correct) and see if you get any beeps.

Have you tried what i suggested? Because if it beeps that can give you a clue as to the problem. Look up beep codes.

Ok i found the problem..The cpu temps are getting to high and its shutting down. Why could this be? Im using the stock heatsink. If I applied to much thermal compound, could this be the problem. Could the cpu be dammaged?

Well, i have come to the conclusion that the sensor on the mobo is bad because it is reading temperatures of 90 degrees celcius, yet the heatsink fan isnt even a tad bit hot. This is forcing the cpu to shut off. The weird thing is that i disabled cpu shutdown when it reaches a certain temp, yet it still turns off..is this just a saftey feature, our is the cou actually overheating?

:d

have u tried to oc ur processor lateley? go back into ur bios and set everything for ur cpu back to default. and see what happens. also check in ur bios to see what the temp read out in there, to see if that is consistant

This is a new build..everything is defualt. The temps i reported are the temps from the bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back