New computer that powered up at first, but will not power up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I just built a new computer that I ran for about 2 hours give or take then it powered down completely during my OS installation. Now it won't even power up at all, I switch on the power supply and the green led on the motherboard lights up, pressing the power button however does nothing.
My worst fear at the moment is that I have fried the CPU by applying too much thermal conducting past between it and the heat sink. (I didn't apply the thermal conduct myself, I had my room mate helping me, I wasn't aware of how much was supposed to be applied.)
Now the question I have is, would that be the reason why nothing happens when I hit the power button even if the green light is on?
Another thing to note is that the cpu heatsink fan I bought already had a small amount of Thermal paste on it which we failed to notice right off.

Computer specs:
Asus M2R32-MVP Motherboard
Asus EAH3850 ATI Radeon Graphics Card
4 GB Kingston 667 Mhz RAM
dual 80 GB Seagate SATA HDDs
AMD Athalon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0 ghz Windsor Core
430W power supply by Dynapower

Let me know if anyone needs to know anything else. Thanks.

Kiraeden said:
I wasn't aware of how much was supposed to be applied.
Little to none (A very thin layer)

Also you did pull away the plastic cover first, on the new heatsink ?

Try removing your Mobo from the case, place on a cardboard box. Connect power, video card, cpu fan, 1 stick of RAM and see if you get anywhere. If nothing try swapping your video card or test it in another system.

Good Luck.

DYNAPOWER USA Titan-C2702.25.M158 Black SGCC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case PEAK: 430W Power Supply

That's the title of the case/PSU I bought, (wont let me post links yet)

another thing I found while researching was that the Graphics card I chose requires at least a 450W PSU, so I may have damaged my power supply instead.

And yes seeing as I spent $34 on the case and PSU I'd expect that it is a very junkie model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back