New DoorDash pop-up warns non-tipping customers to expect a longer wait for orders

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! Do you prefer not to tip a DoorDash delivery before your food has arrived? Then the company has a warning for you and anyone else who does the same: a lack of a tip will likely mean a longer wait for deliveries.

DoorDash is testing a new feature in the United States and Canada that incentivizes, or blackmails, users into leaving a tip. When placing an order, a customer has the option to type in a tip amount and proceed or click a button that reads, "Continue without tip."

Picking the no-tip option results in a pop-up appearing that warns of the consequences of such an action. It states that orders with no tip "might" take longer to get delivered, and asks if the customer wants to rethink their decision.

"Dashers can pick and choose which orders they want to do," the pop-up states. "Orders that take longer to be accepted by Dashers tend to result in slower delivery."

DoorDash said it started piloting the reminder pop-ups earlier this year as a way to help "provide the best possible experience for Dashers, consumers and merchants." The company also notes that as independent contractors, Dashers have full freedom to accept or reject offers based on what they view as valuable and rewarding. There has apparently been a meaningful decrease in the number of no-tip orders since DoorDash launched the test, though it never specified any figures.

The company emphasizes that customers still have the option not to tip if they don't want to, and the test does not impact "DoorDash's commitment to quality or how orders are fulfilled."

DoorDash spokesperson Jenn Rosenberg told TechCrunch that the pilot is not location-specific, so not everyone will see it. The company is currently analyzing the results and feedback and plans to roll the warning out more broadly once it has proven successful.

Back in August, DoorDash faced criticism over a new "tip-nudging" feature that lets customers increase their tip for a driver up to 30 days after an order has been delivered. Those who don't tip are sent notifications suggesting they show their appreciation.

DoorDash introduced the ability to edit tips after a delivery was complete in June. Company execs said at the time it was a way to reward drivers who offer above-and-beyond service.

Tipping has become one of the most controversial topics of modern times. More workers are relying on them, but Americans are tipping service workers less and less. There's been a pushback against the practice as extra services ask for tips, including self-checkout machines. Perhaps paying workers better wages rather than looking at ways of making customers tip more would be a better option; DoorDash said its drivers' pay ranges from as little as $2 per order to $10.

Permalink to story.

The American tipping system is more proof that we are not all that "great". How about paying these workers a proper wage instead of forcing customers to make their wages worthwhile with tips? Why are certain jobs expected a tip but others are not. The entire tipping expectation is ludicrous.

I've stopped tipping. Not because I'm cheap but because this entire system of worker exploitation is appalling and I'm done being a part of it.

I have no problem with tipping for good service, but don't expect me to tip you before I receive the service. A tip was always meant to be an incentive to continue offering good service, with this process, dashers are demanding a tip even before they pick up the order, what's to stop them from taking their time with the delivery now? This is right up there with tipping at self-checkout kiosks, if I did all the work who exactly am I tipping?

The American tipping system is more proof that we are not all that "great". How about paying these workers a proper wage instead of forcing customers to make their wages worthwhile with tips? Why are certain jobs expected a tip but others are not. The entire tipping expectation is ludicrous.

I've stopped tipping. Not because I'm cheap but because this entire system of worker exploitation is appalling and I'm done being a part of it.
Well......why would you, when workers are lining up to work for you for poverty wage? There's no incentive to pay more if you can guilt your gullible customers into making up the difference. It's worked in the restraunt world for almost a century.

Besides, doordash is currently unviable as a company. Look at the money they lose. Eventually theyll go bankrupt.

If this happens, I do believe that I will stop using DoorDash. I can't tell you how many times I have ordered things like a drink with my order and never get it. A tip is an appreciation of the services you received.

If you can't even be bothered to perform a simple review of my order for a missing drink, what appreciation should I show? The excuse of "this is what they handed me" is unacceptable when it comes to something like that.

Too many now days are expecting top dollar for their services when service is mediocre at best. If you want to move up and get the tips you want, provide a service I am happy to tip for. Pre-tipping is just another way I can be easily ripped off. I doubt DoorDash is going to add a refund button for tips when their drivers are disrespectful, lazy, or pull into my driveway at 10PM with their music waking up the neighbors.

Well, the driver better be getting a pop-up saying "The tip has been paid please deliver the food hot and not smashed."

Ah yes, the American tipping culture at its best.

Stop calling it a "tip". It's the American loophole for businesses to weasel out of paying decent wages. Essentially, they want their customers to pay it instead of them.

I don't mind tipping (20% +) for good service and I think many workers deserve that.

But to force the customer to pay for service that hasn't been rendered YET and tell them how much to pay, is totally ridiculous.

I'm not saying all these delivery type drivers are bad, but I don't trust a single one of them. I do not and will not ever use one of these services. I don't even have pizza delivered anymore. I can easily drive myself 5 minutes to any of the 4 or 5 pizza places around me to pick up my order and save myself more because many of them have deals for saving a few bucks to pick up orders, plus I pay no delivery fee and I don't have to tip.

Screw all the "Tip" pop-ups that come up on every single fast serve restaurant - such as Chipotle. Or the food stands/trucks at an event. I'm already paying you for overpriced food (something that all the ingredients would probably be around $1.50 - I'm paying you $10 for), you're already making money from me where do you get the audacity to ask for me for more?

The only place I tip is at a sit down restaurant and I'm passing along a tip to a server that did a good job serving us. A excellent job, I'll happily leave 20-25% tip. A bad job and I won't leave you anymore than $5. A horrid job and I'll just get up and walk out the door (only had to do this twice in my life).

Nobody should tip. That should force employers to actually pay reasonable salaries to begin with, instead of taking advantage of the gratitude some of us want to show. Too many times I've seen and heard about this practice of paying low income and making others pay the rest of the salary through good will.

If it's come to this - tip or get your meal later - then I'll get my meal later. Later, you'll be forced to pay higher wages and stop exploiting people as well.

I've never been so lazy as to use (insert delivery). If I want food or something, I go get it.
The only time I could imagine that I would use something like that, is if I were laid up from
an accident, or sick.

I'm surprised anyone uses DoorDash, UberEats, etc. They were somewhat reasonable when they had everyone over a barrel in 2020, but now anything you order is going to cost twice as much as it would have if you just got it yourself. Their prices are insane even without the tip expectation.

I've just stopped using any services that expect me to supplement their crappy wages. Tipping should always be a gift and not an expectation. It's a reward for going above and beyond. I shouldn't be rewarding you for doing basic expectations of what you were hired to do; that's your employer's job. The kiosk/food places that don't operate on a service model having a tip section on the apps and receipts is the biggest joke of the entire model. You've done almost zero service work and you expect me to supplement your income? Get out of here.

Last edited:
I've largely given up on Door dash and eating out in general. I tip pretty generously when I do (because it's so infrequent) but really the workers and business are free to demand whatever of their customers and the customers are free to go elsewhere, the perks of a free market for everyone.

At the grocery store now picking up stuff to make Chicken Cesar Nan wraps at home.

$20 bucks for a nice, clean, hearty meal for the wife and I.

I've largely given up on Door dash and eating out in general. I tip pretty generously when I do (because it's so infrequent) but really the workers and business are free to demand whatever of their customers and the customers are free to go elsewhere, the perks of a free market for everyone.

At the grocery store now picking up stuff to make Chicken Cesar Nan wraps at home.

$20 bucks for a nice, clean, hearty meal for the wife and I.
I've got to agree, up here in the frozen north there is also the incentive of winter making my wife and I reconsider going out to eat every time we look outside our cave and see the frozen apocalypse in the driveway!

We basically just save the eating out and tipping for our vacations in our southern neighbors tropical Hawaiian paradise.

I have no problem with tipping for good service, but don't expect me to tip you before I receive the service. A tip was always meant to be an incentive to continue offering good service, with this process, dashers are demanding a tip even before they pick up the order, what's to stop them from taking their time with the delivery now? This is right up there with tipping at self-checkout kiosks, if I did all the work who exactly am I tipping?
this statement is correct

Tips come after I have received my meal, not before, and are based on quality of the food and service! When DoorDash can figure this out is when I may decide to use it's service again.

Back