New gpu start up issues

I have a Dell Inspiron 660: 6gb RAM, i3-2130 3.4 ghz processor. I recently upgraded my psu and gpu. My gpu is a visiontek RadeonHD 5450 1gb. The power supply came in first so I installed it a couple days earlier still no issues with it. The GPU however booted up fine the first time messed around on a game for about an hour, I went to check for driver updates, halfway through the update the screen went black. I plugged it back in the the onboard graphics, uninstalled the drivers, re installed. Now the only way to get it to display through the new card is to start up with the onboard, then switch plug ins while the computer is on. Also, I have tried disabling the onboard graphics and this didn't fix it either. Long story short, I now get nothing but a black screen when trying to load with the new gpu. I know its not a very good graphics card. I plan on ordering a new one today if the issue is with my gpu and not the mother board.

What drivers version are you using? Are you using a recent release, or are you using an older version? You stated that you uninstalled and then re installed the drivers, but did not mention what version. AMD Catalyst has some new beta drivers out that might not be fully compatible with all video cards. Have you tried to use older drivers and see if you still have the same problem?

With the computer off and the power switched off at the back of the power supply (or unplugging it), try removing and reseating the graphics card.

Yeah, I went back to the basics and only installed the drivers on the disc that came with it.

Never do that. If you are running Windows 7 (does not work on Win8) use this tool to uninstall those drivers: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/catalyst-uninstall-utility.aspx.
Then install the latest driver here (13.4): http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx. That should fix your issue.

If that doesnt work, then you may have to uninstall the Intel graphics driver and reseat the GPU and reinstall all drivers.

Back