New graphics card Gateway FX6800-01e?

Manikle

My teenage son enjoys online gaming with his
Gateway FX6800-01e
CPU is an i7 920@ 2.67GHz
System RAM is 6GB
The OS is Vista Home Premium 64 bit
Current card is Radeon HD4850 w/512MB

He doesn't complain but I wondered if a faster card would work with this system, since he's a great kid with a rather sparse Christmas wish list..
I'm always hesistant to fix something that isn't broken but if it will noticably beef up his online gaming, then I'm sure it would make his day.
Thanks, in advance.

If the graphics card is a radeon 4850 u can definatly upgrade to the newer versions eighter a 7850 or a 7870 would do u wonders im worried abit about the cpu it is a core i7 and it is good but future proof enough for ur taste???

Thanks, Techgamer. We've had the computer since the i7 was cutting edge technology, so the graphics card wil probably be useful for longer than the rest of the system.
Do the 7850 and 7870 draw much more power than the 4850 does? I can't remember if I changed the PSU or if it's stock.
Will it be a waste to use a 7870 in this system or is the 7850 a better choice?
Are any particular brand cards generally accepted as more reliable than other brands?
I can read all the reviews on Newegg but popularity can often mean better initial price, not longterm reliability.

http://www.hwcompare.com/12124/radeon-hd-4850-512mb-vs-radeon-hd-7850/

So the 7850 draws 20 watts more then 4850 isnt such a big difference there and the brands u have to do some research there are many decent brands

my personal favorites are gigabyte,saphire,Msi

Msi=Best overclocking software best for new overclockers + it can over voltage but do this at your own risk if your new I wouldnt play with it though
Gigabyte Amazing cooling Card
Sapphire Amazing Cooling

Look my Opinion is if ur looking for the performance and have the money to buy the 7870 go for it as atm you do get 2 free games with it too and the radeon 7870 is more future proof then the 7850 is and there inst much of a difference in price so its your call mate

If you would kindly tell me what Psu you are using it would be easier for me to tell u if it will work or not as the Gpu can reach high tdp on load

Most Fondamental thing I forgot to ask u

What will the system be for Gaming ect?

If yes what do u plan to play?

What resolution?

Thanks for the continued input. I did mention that it's for gaming. I'm not the gamer, so I'm not sure of the resolution or the games.
I have an OCZ GSX850 PSU I can use but I don't know if that's good enough for a 7870

Ok so the Resolution Doesnt seem like it is One which will kill A graphics card but your gonna need to look at a radeon 7850-7870 to go for ultra on the new games ect

the radeon 7850 should do the work for a year or so but the 7870 should do quite well for quite abit some time

Techgamer, thanks again for all the help.
It has been a while since I looked at components, so I had no clue as to what will or won't work in his PC--or even what is decent and what isn't .
Glad you mentioned that these need more power because I would not have remembered to change the PSU to a beefier one otherwise.
I think he will enjoy the games much more with a nice 7870 for Christmas

Back