New graphics card lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitrogen

Hi,
Ive just bought a new graphics card (and 500W power supply to fit) its a GeForce 8600GT, i got it installed and the first thing i did was play UT2003. This game worked fine with my old GeForce 6200 LE but now there is an unplayable amount of lag like the type you get when you play games on the internet. I tried it on another few games and the same thing keeps happening, sometimes even crashing. Is it the in game settings, graphics card settings or a hardware update i need? Much thanks.

--- System Info ---
Windows XP
2.0 GB RAM
Genuineintel 3.05GHz Proccesor
PCI-e complient motherboard
PSU 500W
GeForce 8600GTS 256Mb

Did you remove the driver and software for the old card before fitting the new one?

You need to boot into safe mode by pressing F8 just before windows begins to load.
You then need to have a look in device manager, display adapters to see if your old one is still listed. If it is, it needs to be removed.

Do you know how to do all that? If not I can provide you with more detailed instructions.

It has been uninstalled and the only one there is the 8600gts do you think it could be the hardware, or just game settings?

The next thing to do is hit your start button, click on run, and type dxdiag.

See if all the tests pass or not.

Download the current driver from www.nvidia.com, and then uninstall the current video display driver and reboot. Windows will restart and then try to install the old driver don't let it do it. Now install the new video driver and reboot.

Will i need to install the new driver in the bios or in windows? If i uninstall the driver wont the screen go blank. Sorry i worry a lot. lol

Well you can't install the driver into the BIOS, so you have to install the driver while in Windows. :) No the screen will not go blank, but Windows will ask you to restart your computer, and you don't want to do that. In a perfect world after you uninstalled the old video chip driver, you would right click My Computer and choose properties from the context menu. The System Properties menu would come up and you would click the Hardware tab and then the Device Manager button. Once the Device Manager came up you would double click Display Adapter and right click your old video chip and choose Disable from the context menu and then shutdown your computer. While the computer is off you would install the new video card and then reboot your computer. Once your computer has booted you should really turn off any anti-viral program you have running just to make sure it does not interfere with the driver install and then install the new video card driver and reboot. If your anti-viral software doesn’t turn back on by itself then turn it back on and enjoy your new video card.

This can be done in Windows. First, download the latest driver from the NVIDIA site and save it (preferably to desktop. You can create a folder in local disk Drive C later, rename it to the driver version and move the driver to the folder). Then click start, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs. Scroll down to the NVIDIA driver listing and uninstall ONLY the driver for the card (assuming you have other NVIDIA products in your pc). Once you uninstall it, you will be prompted to restart. Once the pc restarts, the video will be running off of VGA graphics. After it's up and running, click on the driver you downloaded and start the install process. You will once again be prompted to restart. After restart, you can then set you resolution, color adjustments and 3D application settings. This can be done by right clicking on the desktop and selecting the NVIDIA control panel. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back