New Hard drive on Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

javert03

I put a new 1.5 tb harddrive in my computer, but now that I am trying to format it. It keeps locking up the formatting at 73 %. What do I need to do.

You running 32-bit or 64-bit Vista? If you respond soon enough I'll try and post the individual SATA driver or the entire nForce package before I head out (if not, I'm sure someone will jump in). You might also be able to get around the issue by looking in (or blindly installing) the optional/hardware updates in Windows Update.

32 bit Vista. I tried the blind installing a few minutes ago and giving the formatting another shot. If that doesn't work I could use the specific drivers.

It locked up at 73 percent again. I don't know what to do, but I am getting really tired of it. Thanks for your help though.

I can almost guarantee you it's a driver issue. There is a recognized Nvidia SATA driver problem with Windows where it won't recognize it beyond 1TB or so, which is about 73% of a 1.5TB drive - and I don't think it's coincidental that you have an Nvidia chipset. For example: http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/message?board.id=ata_drives&message.id=3599&query.id=4249#M3599

I take it you've tried to use the SATA controller driver above? Don't totally give up. Walk away from the issue for a day if need be and come back with a clear head :).

*Edit*

73% of (1.5 terabytes) = 1.09500 terabytes

... I loaded it, but I don't think it had installed properly, my power got knocked out by lightening during the install. I reinstalled it and I am now trying again. Hopefully it will work this time.

Install the driver again and restart your computer, but download and install this one:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_vista_15.23.html

This is a newer version of what Matthew linked. It is also not from HP -- it is from nVidia (the actual manufacturer of your board's chipset)

We *must* rule out drivers first before looking elsewhere. To do that, you must install the driver again to be certain it installs correctly this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back