New Hardware found AVG7 Wrap Driver, Alerter etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

caravel

I've been trying to purge a friend's PC of spyware and Trojans and have come across an unusual problem that he tells me has existed for months. Whenever the PC is restarted and boots into windows the new hardware found wizard appears detecting several devices including an "Alerter", "AVG7 Wrap Driver", "AVG7 Kernel Driver" and some others. No drivers are found and they end up listed in device manager as unknown types. I have removed AVG which was an old version and the problem was still there, then I reinstalled the latest version and still the same problem. I've checked with Hijack this, AVG anti spy, AVG, AVG antirootkit, Adaware and Spybot and found a few bits of spyware/adware and a trojan but nothing much else. This has all been cleaned off but the new devices are still being detected.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance

caravel

Recently I have seen spyware infections that have fake devices in Device Manager. In device manager, right click on each of the erroring devices and click uninstall. Reboot and you should be ok.

I've tried that, basically the devices aren't there but are detected and there's no driver available. I can delete the "question mark" unknown devices but after rebooting they'll all be detected again.

Hi
I would go to the kaspersky site at http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/virusscanner (this is the UK site) and run the on-line scanner. I expect this to be clean.
I would then boot into safe mode and remove all the AVG software; then reboot and reinstall one element at a time with a reboot between each, even if not asked for, to trace where the error is coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back