New iPad Pros reportedly launch in April: M1-level performance, Mini-LED screen, Thunderbolt...

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: We’ve been hearing rumors about Apple launching iPad Pros featuring a slew of improvements for a while now, and a new report suggests they may be just around the corner. Not only is Cupertino reportedly releasing updated iPad Pros with mini-LED tech and Thunderbolt ports in April, but also a new iPad Mini and refreshed base iPad later this year.

Bloomberg writes that Apple is planning to revamp its iPad Pro line with a new processor that’s on par with its M1 SoC from the 2020 MacBooks, which have been receiving plenty of critical acclaim. That should mean more power and longer battery life—something that’s always appreciated among tablet users. The slates are expected to come with improved cameras, though there’s no word on what these upgrades will entail.

It’s looking increasingly likely that Apple will offer consumers an incentive to opt for the new 12.9-inch iPad Pro model. The larger tablet is said to feature mini-LED backlighting—a rumor we’ve previously heard—enabling higher brightness/contrast and true blacks while being less susceptible to burn-in than OLEDs. More manufacturers are adding mini-LED tech to their TVs, including LG and Samsung.

Bloomberg also claims that Apple will include Thunderbolt ports in its new iPad Pros, bringing much faster data transfer rates than the standard USB-C ports found in the current Pro models.

Elsewhere, Apple is said to be refreshing its cheapest, student-aimed iPad with a thinner and lighter design later this year, and will launch a new iPad Mini with a screen larger than the current 7.9 inches.

Bloomberg’s report was backed up by renowned Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who said Apple would begin mass production of mini-LED iPads in “mid to late April.” He added that a mini-LED MacBook Air would likely be here by 2022, while cheaper iPads such as the iPad Air will switch to OLED displays.

iPad Pros, especially the 12.9-inch models, have always come with a steep price tag. Should this year's release include all the rumored tech, don't be surprised if they're the most expensive iPads to date.

Image credit: Farknot Architect

Permalink to story.

I'd be keen to know if it's really worth upgrading from my '18 iPad Pro. Apps still open instantly on the A12X and the screen is already amazing, so how much difference mini-LED and an 'M1' makes will be interesting.

The headline MSRP is a total joke with these things anyway, by the time you add all the 'optional' required extras, you can put another $500-$700 to the purchase price.

The headline MSRP is a total joke with these things anyway, by the time you add all the 'optional' required extras, you can put another $500-$700 to the purchase price.
If you aren’t creating content, the ipad is great for watching youtube and reading the web without accessories...maybe you are thinking of keyboards etc to turn it into a pseudo laptop?

For $500 I can buy a used business class laptop with not only more processing power but the ability to run far more in terms of production apps. For the same price as an Ipad I can get a Samsung tablet equivalent and add 2TB of storage with an SD card and sideload useful/fun apps. And it has mouse support, because android, and has DeX mode, which is still more useful then apple's equivalent.

I want to like the ipads, since they are the only apple devices with decent battery life under heavy use. But their locked down nature and missing features make them a no go, there are far cheaper options for mere media consumption.

Current 12.9" ipad pro with 1TB and 4G + keyboard is about $3000 in Australia, add mini-LED and TB and we can expect nearly $3.5K prices. These clowns are a complete joke.

If you aren’t creating content, the ipad is great for watching youtube and reading the web without accessories...maybe you are thinking of keyboards etc to turn it into a pseudo laptop?

But if that is all you're doing, why do you need to get an iPad, when there are other tablets that can do the exact same job for less than half the price?

How many decades can Apple churn the same 3 products with tiny incremental almost yearly updates and get away with it?

But if that is all you're doing, why do you need to get an iPad, when there are other tablets that can do the exact same job for less than half the price?

Because those “other tablets” don’t have access to my App Store apps, my purchased content, or my 12 year iOS history.

You aren’t buying “phones” or “tablets”.

You are buying updated ecosystem devices.

And NO ONE cometh to the Apple but by iOS.

QuantumPhysics described half of it and the other half is that I like their design, I think they are the nicest tablet available.

QuantumPhysics described half of it and the other half is that I like their design, I think they are the nicest tablet available.

I'd agree with both, no other tablet comes even remotely close to the iPad (especially Pro) for sheer usability, speed, smoothness and ecosystem. For example the 120Hz screen has been a feature for three years now..

Most people consume content more than they create, so why not buy the best content consumption device available?

I will be buying one of these and donating my current 2018 iPad Pro to my mother. It may sound stupid but I want a cellular iPad and I want more than 256GB storage. Hopefully my existing Apple Pencil will work with the new one but it won’t surprise me if it doesn’t and I have to fork out for a new one. Still, it’s worth it, nothing comes close to iPads, not even laptops.

Back