New mainboard, only one IDE socket

steeve

i've just installed a new asus board M4A88TD as stage one of a total rebuild. so i am using all my old drives, case, etc.

problem is this board has only one ide socket and i have 2 ide drives and one dvd rom drive. i suppose ide is being phased out?

i guess for 50 bucks i should buy a new sata drive. would that be a good solution? will the sata and ide drives work together on the same board?

They'll work fine together, which is why they're both offered on the motherboard. I'm not sure on the configuration options though (I'm guessing running with SATA as well you'd need to nominate disc boot order), in order for them to work effectively.

You can get the very good 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F3 hard disk around $20 more than that budget. I highly recommend it if your looking at continually upgrading.

On my previous motherboard, it booted from the drive connected via IDE first. I assume because the IDE drive would be older so it could be assumed that it would be carried over from it's previous system. So, if you plan to use your IDE drive as a secondary and not your boot drive, I expect you'll need to change boot order as was mentioned before.

For 20 bucks, why not just replace the DVD drive with a SATA unit; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118039

Then your OS drive goes on the IDE buss as master, and the second HDD becomes the slave.

(Master is farthest from the end of the ribbon cable).

As previously mentioned, you would need to place the DVD drive first in the boot order, then the master IDE would be second.

This maybe isn't a final solution, but for $19.95, it cures all your current problems.

(Meaning you want to buy a bigger SATA HDD later).

capt. c, i like your idea, but the one HDD is pretty old and embarrassingly small and should be retired off now.

so i think a new sata drive is the way to go, especially as there is a spinpoint, as leeky recommends, at a good price. then good HDD with windows as master and DVD as slave.

thanks all

IDE is indeed being phased out, but if you really want to use the IDE drives, you can get a SATA to IDE adapter and plug 'em in.

thanks for that tedster - except that those adaptors cost 3/4 of the price of a decent sata drive.

Back