New Microsoft commercial mocks Apple's claim that the iPad Pro is a computer

midian182

Staff member

Remember back in December when Microsoft released a Christmas commercial featuring its “old friends” Apple? Well it seems all that goodwill has now dried up, as the Redmond firm squarely takes aim at the iPad Pro in its latest commercial.

It all originates from Apple's claim in its recent ads (below) that the iPad Pro is a full computer. In a throwback to the past “I’m a Mac, I’m a PC” campaign, Microsoft's commercial features the two companies’ virtual assistants - Cortana and Siri - engaged in conversation via an iPad Pro and Surface Pro 4.

“I just got a keyboard,” says Siri. “I’m a computer now, like you.” But Cortana questions the iPad Pro’s lack of full desktop software and trackpad. The AI also brings up the fact that the Surface Pro 4 has external ports such as a USB 3.0 input, a Mini DisplayPort and a microSD card reader, whereas Apple’s product just has a Lightning connector. And notice how Siri is celebrating because the iPad just got a keyboard.

The ad also references the iPad Pro’s lack of Intel processor. Higher-end configurations of the Surface Pro 4 that feature Core i7 CPUs can easily outperform the latest iPad and its A9X chip.

The commercial finishes with the claim that: “Surface does more. Just like you.” As noted by The Verge, Microsoft argues that “just because you call something a computer doesn’t mean it fits the description.”

As impressive as the iPad Pro is, it’s hard to argue against the Surface Pro 4 being the better option when it comes to getting work done – though Apple will no doubt continue to do so.

Permalink to story.

If you want to diss crApple, seem it would be more simple with "Who would by an apple with a bite out of it?"

I second the whole idea about the ipad pro versus the surface has no claim to it, like it's said already, it's not a computer, it's barely a tablet with a keyboard lol, I can do the same they showed on the video on my phone.

Love my surface <3

I guess your comment make sense if you redefine the term "computer". No problem with you liking your Surface Pro, but really, the iPad Pro not a computer? So many people say IOS is better than Windows, so many people say that. Office? Microsoft is having trouble selling that. you know, because people who want better go to newer designs - people who want compatibility go to Google Docs or the many free office versions out there.

The processor in the iPad Pro is as fast as an I5, it has a better screen, many people say the pen is a better experience than surface pro, so many people. You can use any bluetooth keyboard, including the best (imo), the apple blue tooth keyboard. No, ports? you have heard of wireless, right? With the cloud, the need for ports is a niche market now. Did you know that most routers let you plug in an external drive and use it as a wireless device? Yay technology!

Sure the I7 is faster (now) and not available, but a $2000 tablet? That is a niche market for sure. You do know that most computer users don't need an I7 to do what they normally do, right?

On a related subject. The surface pro compares to the Mac in some TV ads. Everything the surface does by extending your arm at an odd angle and smearing an expensive screen to get touch, you can do with the MAC trackpad, Many people say the track pad touch is better, so many people say that.

So what exactly is your point? a device that does everything a "computer" does, some if it better, is not a computer?

For the record, I used to use Windows/Office, I upgraded in 2011 and am totally amazed at how much more I get done, how better designed the software is. Everything just works and keeps on working, when I upgrade, I sell my old stuff for a lot more than any windows product was ever worth, so I constantly have newer hardware and spend less money doing it.

Not everyone needs to agree, and Im glad you love your surface.

I second the whole idea about the ipad pro versus the surface has no claim to it, like it's said already, it's not a computer, it's barely a tablet with a keyboard lol, I can do the same they showed on the video on my phone.

Love my surface <3

I guess your comment make sense if you redefine the term "computer". No problem with you liking your Surface Pro, but really, the iPad Pro not a computer? So many people say IOS is better than Windows, so many people say that. Office? Microsoft is having trouble selling that. you know, because people who want better go to newer designs - people who want compatibility go to Google Docs or the many free office versions out there.

The processor in the iPad Pro is as fast as an I5, it has a better screen, many people say the pen is a better experience than surface pro, so many people. You can use any bluetooth keyboard, including the best (imo), the apple blue tooth keyboard. No, ports? you have heard of wireless, right? With the cloud, the need for ports is a niche market now. Did you know that most routers let you plug in an external drive and use it as a wireless device? Yay technology!

Sure the I7 is faster (now) and not available, but a $2000 tablet? That is a niche market for sure. You do know that most computer users don't need an I7 to do what they normally do, right?

On a related subject. The surface pro compares to the Mac in some TV ads. Everything the surface does by extending your arm at an odd angle and smearing an expensive screen to get touch, you can do with the MAC trackpad, Many people say the track pad touch is better, so many people say that.

So what exactly is your point? a device that does everything a "computer" does, some if it better, is not a computer?

For the record, I used to use Windows/Office, I upgraded in 2011 and am totally amazed at how much more I get done, how better designed the software is. Everything just works and keeps on working, when I upgrade, I sell my old stuff for a lot more than any windows product was ever worth, so I constantly have newer hardware and spend less money doing it.

The fact that the iPad pro can't run programs in a desktop enviorment prevents it from being a computer.

Love my surface <3

IPad is definitely not a computer and was never meant to be. I don't hear anyone say ios is better than windows and they were never meant to be compared. Ios is a mobile operating system designed for iPhone and evolved to the tablet market. Sure it is definitely a capable tablet and enough for most people it sure can do alot of things. But we sure can't compare it to the computer market you have processors by themselves which cost more than an iPad that would be 20 times faster than anything the iPad has . The computer market has options to go very high end so sure you can compare a iPad to a low end laptop but certainly not a high end laptop or desktop it's not even close.

(...)
I made an account just to say that I didn't believe when people said companies pay people to promote their products in forums, but this post of yours just made it blatantly obvious that is true.
(Or worse, if you didn't actually get paid to post this here and is doing this for free, this is even more pathetic.)
And FYI, the iPad pro has a very thermally-limited ARM processor (it may match mobile Intel processors in short bursts but just like Core M CPUs it throttles severely under extensive loads) which does not even support actual professional software like Office, Adobe CC, most media editors, most CAD software and renderers and so on. Unlike a Mac, which does support all that (even if you need Parallels/Bootcamp for the Windows ones).
Also, what's the point of saying "hurr the iPad's processor is as fast as a good Intel processor!" and then say "did you know most people don't actually need a good Intel processor?"
So many people say IOS is better than Windows, so many people say that.
Wrong. Basically nobody says that. At least not when referring to professional usage.
Microsoft is having trouble selling that.
Just checked their last earnings report and although the Business division's revenue fell by a few percent (note that it includes other products besides Office), both subscribed userbase and overall revenue from Office itself increased slightly. Doesn't sound like they're having trouble at all, sounds like business as usual.
No, ports? you have heard of wireless, right?
Yes, we all certainly have. Have you heard of backwards compatibility? Because the entire world doesn't instantly transition to new technologies instantly. And here's another thing that you may not have heard of as well being an avid fan of Apple's business model: Having options for which way you want to do things, instead of just using the one medium Apple selected on your behalf.
a device that does everything a "computer" does
Except run literally any of the x86 software that is the foundation of the PC market we have today. Or, as mentioned already, have a desktop environment like any other PC OS.
Suggesting an ARM-based iOS device does everything a computer does is just hilarious. If they changed it to a x86 CPU and gave it OS X instead with proper mouse and keyboard support (retaining the touchscreen if they will), that might be another story.

(...)
I made an account just to say that I didn't believe when people said companies pay people to promote their products in forums, but this post of yours just made it blatantly obvious that is true.
(Or worse, if you didn't actually get paid to post this here and is doing this for free, this is even more pathetic.)
And FYI, the iPad pro has a very thermally-limited ARM processor (it may match mobile Intel processors in short bursts but just like Core M CPUs it throttles severely under extensive loads) which does not even support actual professional software like Office, Adobe CC, most media editors, most CAD software and renderers and so on. Unlike a Mac, which does support all that (even if you need Parallels/Bootcamp for the Windows ones).
Also, what's the point of saying "hurr the iPad's processor is as fast as a good Intel processor!" and then say "did you know most people don't actually need a good Intel processor?"
So many people say IOS is better than Windows, so many people say that.
Wrong. Basically nobody says that. At least not when referring to professional usage.
Microsoft is having trouble selling that.
Just checked their last earnings report and although the Business division's revenue fell by a few percent (note that it includes other products besides Office), both subscribed userbase and overall revenue from Office itself increased slightly. Doesn't sound like they're having trouble at all, sounds like business as usual.
No, ports? you have heard of wireless, right?
Yes, we all certainly have. Have you heard of backwards compatibility? Because the entire world doesn't instantly transition to new technologies instantly. And here's another thing that you may not have heard of as well being an avid fan of Apple's business model: Having options for which way you want to do things, instead of just using the one medium Apple selected on your behalf.
a device that does everything a "computer" does
Except run literally any of the x86 software that is the foundation of the PC market we have today. Or, as mentioned already, have a desktop environment like any other PC OS.
Suggesting an ARM-based iOS device does everything a computer does is just hilarious. If they changed it to a x86 CPU and gave it OS X instead with proper mouse and keyboard support (retaining the touchscreen if they will), that might be another story.
#Rekt #trollalert

Wow how much can one write, that's serioulsy a big load of... words.

To me a computer is something I can use as a... computer, not a phone with premium capabilities. If I can run x86 software as stated already, that's a computer to me. If I need to get things from a "store" that's not a computer (And don't bring up the windows marketplace).

Oh yeah, cause you have wireless USB 3.0, OMG how did I miss that one! Have you ever seen a Surface 4 screen? with your post I could bet you haven't. Have you ever heard anyone telling you "Let me turn on my ipad to do some real work"?

Sure the I7 is faster (now) and not available, but a $2000 tablet? That is a niche market for sure. You do know that most computer users don't need an I7 to do what they normally do, right
You are mistaken, it's a 1500 laptop that can be used as a tablet.

On a related subject. The surface pro compares to the Mac in some TV ads. Everything the surface does by extending your arm at an odd angle and smearing an expensive screen to get touch, you can do with the MAC trackpad, Many people say the track pad touch is better, so many people say that
So many people so many people so many people... if you keep repeating it eventually someone will believe you, keep at it!

You got it already, a computer!! The Surface Pro 4 is a computer, the iPad Pro is not.

Hehe it's lovely how people fool themselves, this is so hardcore fanboyism. A windows laptop or computer that costs as much as apples alternatives, does everything the same way, if you compare it to entry level well not so much.

Yeah but somehow your whole post reads like apple pr and you trying to convince me otherwise so... I'm not sure.

The day I buy an ARM tablet to do real work, I might consider getting an iPad... nah who am I kidding I won't, I will probably go with the new windows phones that you can turn into COMPUTERS by plugging them into docks. And mainly because I don't need a tablet to work in, but a COMPUTER.

Maybe it's the philosophy/science background, but it seems anything with a processor that runs an algorithm(program) with a user interface qualifies as a computer. Smartphones, tablets, e-readers et. al. Of course they all serve different niches, but if it 'computes', it is a 'computer'

Yeah well it's not a true laptop replacement... yet. I think maybe Microsoft could do another ad or two about the current differences but the reason iOS isn't a competitor to desktop OSs is only because portable CPUs and GPUs and memory and power consumption haven't scaled up yet to allow them to do everything a desktop does. They have a much lower power envelope and had to strip a lot but we're seeing portable computing jump massive leaps in the last couple of gens. It is only a matter of time.

Also USB 3.0 might not have a wireless replacement yet and while I stick to my cabled devices due to reliability and bandwidth, wireless only needs reliability and *enough* bandwidth to make many cabled devices obsolete.

Imagine keyboards and mice with flawless low latency comms and charged on your table with no cables attached. That's not far from where we are at atm.

Yah, anyone who tries to defend the iPad as a "computer" equivalent has obviously never had to support one that someone is actually trying to USE as a computer. We had some sales guys decide they wanted iPad Pros instead of an actual PC (I recommended a 2-in-1 that was actually cheaper and more powerful than the iPad Pro, but they refused). They got the nice shiny keyboard cover for their Pros, then went out into the world and tried to use them. And then I started getting the calls.

Apple's refusal to allow mouse control, the complete mess of trying to access locally stored files in the iOS environment (can't be connected ALL the time on the road), the total blocking of simple things like remote desktop sharing for tech support... My list goes on and on... The iPad has some niches it fits nicely, but "I'm a real computer" is not one of them.

To me a computer is anything that runs software (I'm a programmer and this is how I see them). I don't understand the use of the word in this conversation at all. is it about running windows ?

If I was using my PC just for browsing Facebook and ignorant as some of these people I would think tablet is a PC too.

Apple's refusal to allow mouse control, the complete mess of trying to access locally stored files in the iOS environment (can't be connected ALL the time on the road), the total blocking of simple things like remote desktop sharing for tech support... My list goes on and on... The iPad has some niches it fits nicely, but "I'm a real computer" is not one of them.

It can't even use a mouse and people call it a computer....

I am not the owner of any Apple systems product. For the last 15 years my primary systems have all been Windows based. I mostly run Windows 7 and Windows XP but also use various versions of Ubuntu Linux and OpenBSD. I was a programmer for 35 years. I worked on many different systems. I have owned a Radio Shack Color Computer III, Commodore 64, Commodore 128, Commodore Amiga 500, dual processor Intel Pentium, Intel Pentium III, AMD Athlon, i7-3370M, and currently i7-4790K. I have used virtually every line of Intel processor starting with the 8088. I have over the years worked on DEC, Burroughs, Sperry, Sperry-Univac, GE, Honeywell, Bull, and IBM systems. I think I know what a computer is and is not.

Most of you seem to think a computer is a only a computer if it runs a Windows operating system. There are many other operating systems out there. Large businesses use Windows machines for data display, word processing, and preparation of information for presentation. They are not used for critical data storage or processing. Effectively a Windows Workstation is a dumb terminal, an IBM Selectric typewriter (with backstroke key that actually erases), and very very fancy calculator. Small businesses may use a Windows based computer for all business automation including pay, inventory, records keeping, word processing, and calculations. Medium business use for Windows based computers will fall somewhere in between depending on costs. Personal computers regardless of type within homes are primarily toys and communication devices.

Windows is designed for MICRO computers. Windows can only support a maximum of 256 cores (2 physical processors with up to 128 cores each). There are computers that can support thousands of processors. Windows is made primarily for 1 user per computer though it can support more. There are systems that are designed to support 1000's of uses concurrently. Without special very high speed disks (RAM disks, Solid State Disks, and drives on a card like the Intel 750 series) and software. Most 7200 RPM drives have a little over 9ms per single read (reading of sequential data can often be cached to allow reading large blocks at a time but random reads cannot do this). This gives a best case scenario of 110 reads per second. Random access of data usually requires more than 2 reads for each request unless the file structure uses relative addressing and the first read returns the relative address for the data. For random reads the maximum possible data access is 55 per second per spindle with most random access closer to 10 or 20 per second. Allowing 1000 people to issue requests for data would cause a input output bottleneck that would effectively shutdown a microcomputer. Until recently Microsoft did not even include many functions used on minicomputers to super computers in there operating system as Windows computers were not meant to have multiple users accessing them concurrently.

Super computers are able to run over 4 MILLION times faster than the i7-6950X, the latest Intel extreme edition processor. Transaction processing computers are designed for thousands of users at the same time. Personal computers are designed for single user or at best only a few users concurrently. Almost every game written for cell phones is more complicated and longer than the code used by the entire NASA during the Apollo mission period of the 1960's when men walked on the moon.

@Kibaruk, "To me a computer is something I can use as a... computer, not a phone with premium capabilities.". By your definition most systems are not computers as I doubt you know how to use most of them. I doubt you have the slightest idea how to even turn on, let alone boot/start them, or dream on actually using doing real work with them. To be honest, no body in my shop knew how to power the system on we worked on, we had contracted service people that did that. We took over once the systems were powered on. Booting the system was about a 10 minute process as long as no changes were needed. With changes it could take a couple of hours to a few days depending how extensive the changes were.

@Kibaruk, "If I can run x86 software as stated already, that's a computer to me." If I can run x86 software as stated already, that's a computer to me.". By this definition, a Microsoft Surface Pro is not a computer. I have lots of old x86 software that does not work on Windows anymore, including in compatibility mode. x86 software is the software written for the 16 bit and 32 bit version of Windows. My old Windows 95/Windows98 games Axis and Allies, Sim City, Magic the Gathering, and SSI Advanced Dungeon and Dragons games were ALL x86 and only Axis and Allies runs at all (frequent crashes). To declare a system is not a computer because it does not run the software you want to run is beyond ignorant. You may as well declare a Model T Ford is not a car because it does not have an air conditioner, automatic transmission, or sound system in it.

@MonsterZero, "Have you heard of backwards compatibility?" when referring to external ports. Denying a system computer status because it is not hardware backwards compatible is ridiculous. I have been complaining about this since I first started with computers. I had to convert IBM 7 track tapes from 100 characters per inch to 200 characters per inch to 800 characters per inch to 9 track 1600 characters per inch to 6540 characters per inch, to ... I had to convert from paper tape to magnetic tape. I had to convert from using card read to using disk files. On a personal level, I had to convert from cassette tape to floppy disk to floppy disk to hard disk to cd to dvd. Wow, by declaring a computer that is not backward compatible is not a computer you have just eliminated every piece of computer hardware since the Eniac and it is only allowed to be a computer because there was nothing it was expected to be compatible with since it was the first.

Calling a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 a computer and not calling Ipad Pro a computer just displays complete ignorance.

Definition - Computer: "a programmable electronic device designed to accept data, perform prescribed mathematical and logical operations at high speed, and display the results of these operations. Mainframes, desktop and laptop computers, tablets, and smartphones are some of the different types of computers." from dictionary.com. Please note, there is NO mention of Windows. Please note there is no mention of even a visual display. A computer may accept as input signals on wires such as the computer in most cars and only provide results FOR PEOPLE when connected to special equipment for diagnostics, the rest of the time the results are controlling gas flow, possibly connecting to Onstar, possibly connecting to GPS systems, possibly handling lighting, steering (many cars now use steer by wire instead of an actual steering column connected to a steering linkage), car climate, ... Depending on how recent you television, alarm clock, refrigerator, home climate system, or even washing machine is, it contains a computer.

To me the only difference between most cell phones today, tablets, microcomputers, minicomputers, mainframe computers, and supercomputers is the software available for them, the number of concurrent users supported, and the processing speed. I think at least for a few more years, I will still call my washer a washer.

I think I know what a computer is and is not.

Thank you for posting exactly what I have been thinking, I can't believe people who come to a tech site like this are even having this conversation or that what you posted even needs to be said.

As I said in my other post, If I can write a program to run on it, It's a computer.

Absolutely bewildering, Maybe Techspot should run a article on how to identify computers.

NatalieEGH said:
"Personal computers regardless of type within homes are primarily toys and communication devices."
Thank you, your post was the most intelligent one I've seen in a long time. Thanks for putting this BS in perspective. Too many people on tech sites think that a Windows "gaming" PC is the only "real" computer.
A $2 Chinese pocket calculator is also a computer, and is probably used for more important tasks than a lot of $3000 "gaming" computers.
I have only been using a Windows computer for the past 16 years (my first PC was a Pentium III 800MHz), but my oldest brother's first computer was a Digicomp I, in the 1960s (http://www.retrothing.com/2009/10/build_your_own_.html). He went on to become a programmer and white hat hacker, and he doesn't even own a Windows computer (http://www.toad.com/gnu/).

My old spectrum 48k is a computer. It doesn't have a trackpad or a touch screen and it doesn't run a full desktop version of Microsoft Office. But if a couple of Surface Pros or an iPad want to come and tell it that its not a computer then I imagine it would fight them to the death. And probably win. It was built like a tank.

Back