New Mobo & CPU

Oz1956

Back again doing more upgrades on my old system.

I recently purchased a MSI|Z87M GAMING MATX R and a INTEL|CORE I5 4590 3.3G 6M R to replace my old MSI K9A2GM-FIH mobo and my AMD Athlon Duo core CPU.

Trying to find out the best way to the the change over, since my old components uses AMD chipsets and the newer ones will be Intel chipsets.

I'm, also, wondering if there is a way to install these items without having to do a clean install for the Windows 7 OS.

You are changing not only the processor, but the motherboard. You have to do a clean install of Windows. Windows must be reinstalled to work on the new motherboard or it wont work. The reason why is because different motherboards use different drivers due to the difference in their hardware. Fresh install will give you a whole lot less headaches.

Thanks for the reply, but no I didn't have to do a clean install of my Windows 7. Just popped in to let you all know, that I went ahead and installed all my new parts w/o a glitch. It didn't seem as if I was going to get a reply, so with a lot of prayers, I just winged it. I'm up and running, my OS has been authenticated and my machine has never run better.

It does work from time to time, especially with windows 7, XP was usually always a failure. But if your are switching hardware and chipsets that drastically (going form AMD to Intel in your case) and fresh install is always advised. You will see better performance and long term stability in the OS.

Back