New Nintendo Switch model significantly boosts battery life

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Nintendo is bolstering its Switch lineup for the holidays. In addition to this new model with better battery life, the gaming giant last week introduced a smaller, lighter and more affordable version called the Switch Lite. Priced $100 less than the original, the Switch Lite drops on September 20 for $199.99 but limits play to handheld mode only.

Nintendo on Wednesday quietly introduced a new version of the Nintendo Switch on its Japanese website with longer battery life.

Whereas the original Switch carries an estimated battery life of approximately 2.5 to 6.5 hours based on the games you play, the new Switch is said to last about 4.5 hours to 9.0 hours – again, based on which games you play. Intense titles like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will last roughly three hours on the original Switch but 5.5 hours on the new Switch.

Nintendo didn’t say how it was able to squeeze more battery life out of its handheld console but as noted last week, it’s likely the result of a new system-on-chip and updated memory which the FCC tipped off in a recent listing.

To ensure you’ve got your hands on a revised Switch, look for the letters “XKW” at the beginning of the serial number. You also want model HAC-001(-01).

Images credit: Joy-Con controller and Gamer playing Fortnite by Wachiwit

Permalink to story.

"A new SoC and updated memory chips are likely to blame"

"Blame" seems like the wrong word here... "to thank" would be better; its good news, not bad.
I have to agree with this. Likely "responsible" would also be a much better replacement. I swear, TS article writers seem to be going out of their way to be overtly negative and flashy with article titles lately. What happened to journalistic integrity and professionalism?

"Blame" seems like the wrong word here... "to thank" would be better; its good news, not bad.
I have to agree with this. Likely "responsible" would also be a much better replacement. I swear, TS article writers seem to be going out of their way to be overtly negative and flashy with article titles lately. What happened to journalistic integrity and professionalism?

I mean obviously he means it in an ironic sense, trying to facetious. Its definitely not professional journalism but its not like we don't know what he means.

I mean obviously he means it in an ironic sense, trying to facetious. Its definitely not professional journalism but its not like we don't know what he means.
We're not mind readers and to me it seems like it's a negative spin in an attempt to marginalize the advancement made by Nintendo.

Seems it's been removed. Very cool. Much better. The article now leads in the information in the proper light, positive improvement of the technology involved.

EDIT; Or not. Seems it's back now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back