New to PC /desktop configuration

Hey guys, I need help. I just got a new all -in -one dell and I noticed it didn't come with any installation CDs. I called DELL and I was told even to download Java I had to pay for software warranty for $245 for the first year. I dont have that type of money after purchasing the desktop that cost me over a 1,000. what do you guys advice I do? return it? and what is the best system/PC to buy for a novice and that woulldnt give me any installation hassle?

You're not going to get Windows installation disks with a new computer. I think they stopped somewhere around Windows 7 but the ISOs or images of the disks can be downloaded from the Microsoft website. I'm quite a fan of Dell hardware because the spares are generally widely available. They put things together sensibly making it easier to replace parts or do upgrades than with other makes. However, I'd never want an all in one computer because they will be far more difficult to fix or upgrade. If portability is not essential a desktop plus monitor is, in my opinion, a better buy. Unless you want to play demanding games you do not need to pay mega money for a good desktop computer. I have a Dell desktop connected to a Wide screen TV for entertainment purposes using a wireless keyboard but it's not my main PC.

Last edited:
Thank a lot he for that. It's actually for work but am willing to return and buy a cheaper one that works better and has a wide screen.. any ideas? Plus I don't want the hassle of having to install this and that cos I wouldn't know what to do.

Customer reviews of computers can be a good guide so long as they are not from folks who got the item free or at a discount in return for a review. A computer shop would be the best place to go for help. Laptops are the usual choice for business use but if you are working from home a desktop tower and computer monitor will do fine. You will need office software such as Microsoft Word and possibly Microsoft Excel for spreadsheets but there are free office programs you can download and install for free. Again you have to have the know-how to do this. Printers are also very useful but can be a pain to install.

By far the easiest device to use is an iPad. If you get stuck or lose your way you can press the home button. With a PC just turning it off instead of shutting it down properly can mess things up.

I was told even to download Java I had to pay for software warranty for $245 for the first year. I dont have that type of money after purchasing the desktop that cost me over a 1,000. what do you guys advice I do? return it? and what is the best system/PC to buy for a novice and that woulldnt give me any installation hassle?
Apparently the pre-built computer industry has hit an all time low in customer appreciation.
You're not going to get Windows installation disks with a new computer. I think they stopped somewhere around Windows 7 but the ISOs or images of the disks can be downloaded from the Microsoft website.
Part of the (alleged) EULA of an OEM Windows license is the fact that once Windows is installed, the drive is supposed to be "imaged". So as I'm not terribly sure how many pre-builts came with an actual Windows discs to begin with. The drive image also contains the "value added software", which is a real nuisance, at least for me, since I have to go through my ancient eMachines after a reinstall, removing such garbage as AOL software and others

My trusty, (believe it or not), eMachines didn't even come with "restore discs", (that drive image I spoke of), but it allowed you to burn a single copy of the discs from a file on the HDD. Doesn't Dell do anything like that, supply recovery discs in some form?

If Dell doesn't allow recovery by the end user without some extravagant charge, I would definitely box it up and take it back, post haste.

In all honesty, if I were simply going to use a computer to go online, answer email, do word processing, I'd consider buying something as basic as this refurb Lenovo:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...MC-GD051017-_-landing-_-Item-_-9SIA7RB4XU5402

BUT NO, you'd never to be able to do any heavy duty gaming or video rendering with it. Just basic stuff.

And here's a huge VA panel 27" monitor for $165.00!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...MC-GD051017-_-landing-_-Item-_-9SIA7RB4XU5402

Last edited:
Back