New Win7 PC USB storage device driver Code 10

EyeSore

I just built a new PC (Win7 Ultimate). Things were basically okay and then USB2 or USB3 access to any thumb drive failed (Device Manager Code 10). I did everything covered in:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/165554-usb-driver-general-fix-problems.html

And removed and replaced all my USB2 and USB3 drivers and programs. Sfc /scan now is clean, the device manager shows no problems. Microsoft FixIt USB shows a clean USB system. Event Viewer shows 2x ReadyBoost error, 3x DCOM error (related to Audio driver).

I worked with Broni on Techspot to confirm this is not virus related.

What do you recommend I should try next? Note that I have not Activated my Microsoft products yet and probably need to call them to make them work.

Thanks

And removed and replaced all my USB2 and USB3 drivers and programs
What did you do to "replace" the drivers?? I don't think a code 10 would cause the issue described HERE but check the files are present anyway

Also, download and run Filter Driver Load Order. When it opens select any one of your USB disks, click the Clipboard button and paste the info into your next post

Thanks for your help. I deleted all the USB drivers I could. Which results in Win7 replacing them with generic ones. Then I removed USB3 related programs (WIN7 drivers) and then resinstalled chipset, and USB drivers, and IME.
The three files are present. I have tried several brands of USB and the all generated a code 10. Note that other USB devices work (mouse, keyboard, labeler). This new hardware briefly worked with USB2 and USB3 flash drives. Around the time I cloned my HDD to a SSD the problems started to occur.

----------------------------------------------------
Filter Driver Load Order http://www.bustrace.com

Upper Class Filter: snapman
Upper Class Filter: PartMgr
Device Object: FLASH Drive 3S_USB20 USB Device
Lower Class Filter: iaStorF
Lower Class Filter: SamsungRapidDiskFltr

Driver Name: snapman.sys
File Location: c:\windows\system32\drivers
File Description: Acronis Snapshot API
File Version: 3.3 build 345 [3.3.0.343]
Product Name: Acronis Snapshot API
Product Version: 3.3 build 345 [3.3.0.343]
Company Name: Acronis

Driver Name: partmgr.sys
File Description: Partition Management Driver
File Version: 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255) [6.1.7601.17796]
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 6.1.7600.16385 [6.1.7601.17796]
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation

Driver Name: iastorf.sys
File Description: Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Filter driver - x64
File Version: 13.1.0.1058 [13.1.0.1058]
Product Name: Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Filter driver
Product Version: 13.1.0.1058 [13.1.0.1058]
Company Name: Intel Corporation

Driver Name: samsungrapiddiskfltr.sys
File Description: Samsung RAPID Mode Disk Filter Driver
File Version: 1.0.1.68 built by: WinDDK [1.0.1.68]
Product Name: Samsung RAPID Mode
Product Version: Samsung RAPID Mode 1.0.1.68 [1.0.1.68]
Company Name: Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.

The three files are present. I have tried several brands of USB and the all generated a code 10. Note that other USB devices work (mouse, keyboard, labeler). This new hardware briefly worked with USB2 and USB3 flash drives. Around the time I cloned my HDD to a SSD the problems started to occur.

Look in Programs and Features. What Samsung products do you have installed? Your symptoms and data you provided in your last post make me suspect that Samsung Rapid Mode driver filter. Your observation this all started happening when you moved to SSD may not be coincidence!! A Samsung software install may be the culprit

So what Samsung product is installed? (it's probably where that filter came from). Then I'll tell you how to proceed so we can remove it

/* EDIT */
You might find THIS info about filters an interesting read. It's just informational. Don't follow the removal instruction in the thread. We'll do a more targeted approach

Last edited:
Hi I have a 850 PRO SSD drive. I have Samsung Disk Magician 4.4.0, which is the latest version. This is a utility for the SSD.

Reboot your machine. Then uninstall the Samsung Magician software. Reboot again and test.

1. Do your USB drives now work?
2. Run the filter driver load order tool again. Is the Samsung RAPID Mode disk filter still there or has it been removed?

Hmm... Also just noticed your data also shows an iaStor.sys disk filter from Intel there too. Could be those two filters don't "play well" together. In any case, uninstall magician and test per instructgions above. Let me know the result.

Hi I disabled Rapid mode using the Disk Magician ultility, rebooted and USB2/3 worked!

Device Object: FLASH Drive 3S_USB20 USB Device

Hi I disabled Rapid mode using the Disk Magician ultility, rebooted and USB2/3 worked!
Woo-Hooo! (y)

Do you need the magician? Could be it was the Samsung filter or it just doesn't play well with the intel filter that's also there.. I'm not sure if the intel filter is still needed. I'd have go have a further look.

But glad we got ya fixed for now!@

Thanks a lot. I will test the system and provide an update tomorrow. When you reply to that email please include your donate button.

Re: donate button
Everyone here on TechSpot volunteers their time. TechSpot made an exception to provide Broni a donate button due to the exceptional and extensive number of hours he spends helping in Virus Removal. So, thank you for asking, but no donate button for me. Feel free to donate to your favorite charity on my behalf :)

re: iastor.sys
That's part of Intel Matrix Storage which I don't think you need (it supports RAID drives). Could very well be the Samsung filter and this intel filter interfere with each other.. causing the disk drive issue for USB

Look in Programs and Features again. Is there an entry for Intel Matrix Storage? If so, uninstall it. See that the filter no longer appears in the Filter tool report. Then you can try enabling Samsung again and see if USB continues to work or not

Hello,

I have a Z97-WS ASUS motherboard but am not using RAID. I had:

Intel Rapid Storage Technology, 13.1.0.1058. When I removed this program, the Intel icon was removed and it no longer shows up in Programs and Features. However, iaStorF.sys is still present (C:\windows\System32\drivers). I do not see it listed under device manager.

My motherboard would probably benefit from the correct Intel drivers for SATA. The web shows RST (probably what I want) and RSTe (for RAID and problematic). ASUS does not provide RST. What is a process to safely remove RSTe and replace it with RST?

Rapid mode has little benefit so I am okay with keeping it disabled,

http://techreport.com/review/25282/a-closer-look-at-rapid-dram-caching-on-the-samsung-840-evo-ssd

Device Object: Patriot Memory USB Device

Think of driver filters as driver snap-on parts (like connecting Lego blocks). Each device starts with a single Lego - called the "function driver". The function driver implements the device hardware interface. When you open Device manager you're only seeing the device function drivers! You don't see filters unless you know where to look!

3rd party vendors (e.g. Acronis, Samsung, Intel) may add a driver filter (connecting their own Lego block) to the base driver to help implement driver interface changes needed to support their product. Their "filter" allows them to become a part of the device driver call. That extends driver functionality to support the vendor's specific product need. Driver Load Order tool is showing you any filters that may have been attached to Disk or CD/DVDs drivers. It's also showing you the order in which things are attached. (The "Device Object" is the function driver). "Upper" filters precede the function driver. Lower filters connect after the function driver.

fyi.. You can install/uninstall the device you see in Device Manager till you're blue in the face! That only installs/uninstalls the function driver. It doesn't uninstall/install any class filters defined for the device! . A class filter is defined for a device class. Samsung defined a lower filter for Class=Disk. So the filter is then connect connected to every disk driver call (and it somehow screwed up the interface for USB Disks)

Filters are certainly "non-obvious" and you only see them if you know where to look! To use Device Manager, right click the Device->Properties->Details tab. Look through the pull-down display to see if any Upper Class Filters or Lower Class Filters appear. (You can ignore Device Filters. It's the non-Microsoft class filters that can cause frustrating/hard to find problems). A vendor's class filter may become corrupt or not "play well" with other class filters from other vendors.

Back tomorrow with more info....

Filters.jpg

Thanks for the information on Filters. I delete some filters related to USB during my debug of the code 10 problem.

One more thing related to this effort: My mother board has an sSATA connector and I tested it today. Its data rate is very poor 1 MB/s. I also see it listed as SCSI Disk Device under Disk drives. This port uses an ASmedia SATA IC. I installed this driver and confirmed it was enabled in the BIOS. Here is a dump related to the eSATA connection.

Device Object: WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 SCSI Disk Device

Another related item. Today I received thousands of

“The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume TriloByte."

This may be related to a bad shadow copy, but so far I have not figured out what to do. Both chkdsk and chkntfs are good. I force a backup and that ran fine but generated 3 more of the above errors.

Should I reinstall the Intel SATA driver? I will continue to debug…

I have no opinion on whether Intel RST driver should be installed or not (I just don't know one way or other) but here's some info
> You're running v13.1.0.1058
> Looks like Intel has a newer version v13.2.4.1000.
> Also probably worth using their Identify Chipset tool and check that it's supported by RST
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/sftwr-prod/imsm

If you want to uninstall it, I found THIS thread. The instructions make perfect sense to me.. so go ahead and follow it you you'd like

/* EDIT */
Note, the default SATA drivers are part of windows. If you uninstall RST, you should see the the device name change back to SATA once RST is removed

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. USB and Intel SATA ports work fine. I reinstalled the Intel Matrix Management. This may have eliminated the NTFS Event 55.

Now I am dealing with the ASmedia SATA ports. They use to work but now performance is very poor 1 to 5 MB/s. I tested internal and the external SATA ports tied to this controller they are both bad.

I have the latest BIOS, and driver (2.0.8.1, ASmedia 106x SATA controller). I removed the ASmedia drivers and the reinstalled them. Before I resinstalled the, the Windows drivers produced 6 MB/s access rates to the ASmedia SATA drive. The ASUS PCdiags see the drive but do not report Drive attributes seen for the other drives, which are on the Intel SATA controller. Speccy see all details. I see no device manager errors.

What do you recommend I try to get the ASmedia SATA port performance improved?

Thanks.

I got eSATA working by power cycling my Anker eSATA-to-SATA bridge— it took me about 10 hours to get to that part of the test. The performance went from 1 MB/s to over 150MB/s :D.

USB and eSATA work. Lessons Learned:*nerd*

1. If you have an Intel SATA controller and a Samsung 850 Pro. Do not enable Disk Magician “Rapid Mode.” If do enable it, USB access may stop.

2. If all your drivers look okay then power cycle the PC and the peripheral and recheck the system.

Thanks for helping me get USB working(y) hopefully this post helps others with the same issue.

Thanks for this info, it solved my problem! My new upgraded computer wouldn't recognize any USB hard drive or flash drive. I have a Samsung 850 EVO using Disk Magician and it had previously been set to raid mode with Intel Rapid Store. Today I disabled Disk Magician Rapid Mode per the recommendations above, rebooted and now the USB drives are recognized. I would love to use Rapid Mode from Samsung and remove Intel's Rapid Store but my main goal was to get my USB's working.

Now that my USB's are working, the only downfall is that when in Samsung Rapid Mode the hard drive was really fast. Seq read write 2315/3540, Random Read/Write (IOPS) 182083/146093. Now it is Seq read write 522/441, Random Read/Write (IOPS)87995/39974.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back