New Windows 11 build made available to Insiders fixes AMD performance issues

Jimmy2x

Staff
Through the looking glass: Recent Windows 11 releases have plagued AMD users with several documented performance issues. A blog post from the Windows Insider Program Team indicates that a fix for L3 cache performance and other performance-related flaws is on the horizon and already distributed via the Beta and Release Preview Channels.

Microsoft added insult to injury during last Patch Tuesday's release. The Windows 11 update patch designed to resolve issues in the new operating system instead further hampered the already degraded performance experienced by many AMD users. Fortunately, a recent announcement by the Insider Program Team indicates that relief is in sight.

On Friday, the team stated that the Windows 11 Build 22000.282 was released to participating Insiders with access to the Beta and Release Preview channels. This build includes many fixes to the new OS, with a resolution for the Ryzen-based Level 3 (L3) caching issue at the top of the list. If successful, this fix can restore up to 15 percent of lost performance in some gaming tasks and esports titles.

L3 cache is one of three specialized memory caches working together to improve computing performance and ensure multi-core processors have access to adequate and timely data and instruction. Microsoft and AMD acknowledged the initial L3 caching problem shortly after the first Insider Preview build was released. The issue increases L3 cache latency across all supported AMD Ryzen processors resulting in a 10- to 20-percent drop in frames per second.

With the update's test build currently under evaluation, it is reasonable to believe that the larger user population could see the update released as early as next week.

While the update will potentially fix the L3 cache issue, it does not address concerns related to multi-core CPUs and single-threaded workloads. These additional problems will be tackled by an updated chipset driver package from AMD.

Permalink to story.

It really boggles the mind that MS could release 11 with such a fundamental bug as this L3 Cache issue with Ryzen CPU's.

Was 11 developed purely on Intel CPU's or something, How on earth could they not be aware of it before a public release?

AMD has announced that all of its Windows 11-compatible processors can suffer from reduced performance in some applications when used with the new operating system, with extreme outliers in eSports gaming titles resulting in up to a 10-15% reduction. For applications, AMD says that the performance impact weighs in at 3–5%.

Wow. The internet is calling for Microsoft's head over a 3-5% perf loss.
"Hey AMD, what apps did you say were affected?"

Tom's Hardware:
AMD is coy with the details of just which applications and games are impacted, and the company even adjusted its advisory to remove its original mention of eSports titles. That makes it a bit tough to narrow down our tests to the impacted games, but we still have plenty of game testing to examine, not to mention cache and Infinity Fabric testing. In either case, we'll examine where things stand right now, and we'll reevaluate after AMD and Microsoft issue the patches.

Oh AMD.....

See also:

Last edited:
It really boggles the mind that MS could release 11 with such a fundamental bug as this L3 Cache issue with Ryzen CPU's.

Was 11 developed purely on Intel CPU's or something, How on earth could they not be aware of it before a public release?

Well, it will be quite convenient for the first Alder Lake reviews…. would be really surprised if all fixes are out before then.

Just hope reviewers will include Windows 10 numbers for Ryzen systems, as well, plus Win 10 an 11 numbers for Comet Lake and Rocket Lake.

This sort of thing happens all the time to both Intel and AMD and it’s not usually newsworthy as in 99% of cases people don’t notice in the real world. But AMD have a massive groups of basically really dumb, protective fans. They all poured hate on MS when the news sites told them there was a performance hit and now they are all watching the news like a hawk for updates on this “atrocity” lol. The AMD subreddit has as usual been a big source of amusement once again.

It’s getting fixed, calm down angry mob, the 15% of performance you didn’t notice being gone will be restored.

And no, MS and Intel aren’t working together to take AMD down with a bug that most people won’t notice. You have to be certifiable to believe there is a conspiracy here. But we are talking about AMD fans so..

This sort of thing happens all the time to both Intel and AMD and it’s not usually newsworthy as in 99% of cases people don’t notice in the real world. But AMD have a massive groups of basically really dumb, protective fans. They all poured hate on MS when the news sites told them there was a performance hit and now they are all watching the news like a hawk for updates on this “atrocity” lol. The AMD subreddit has as usual been a big source of amusement once again.

It’s getting fixed, calm down angry mob, the 15% of performance you didn’t notice being gone will be restored.

And no, MS and Intel aren’t working together to take AMD down with a bug that most people won’t notice. You have to be certifiable to believe there is a conspiracy here. But we are talking about AMD fans so..
Ah, the Intel fanboy again.

Ah, the Intel fanboy again.
Lmao, calling people who idolise AMD dumb does not make one an “Intel fanboy”.

Intel are just as disgusting as AMD. Anyone who believes otherwise is probably a “fanboy” of some kind.

But the irony is you’ve literally just come along and hurled abuse at me for daring to blaspheme against your beloved corporation. . Why do you care if I don’t love AMD?

Last edited:

Exactly what Irata said is on my mind:

1) only a very reduced number of AMD are compatible with W11, which indirectly makes people thing that buying AMD is risky

2) the new crop of Intel chips come soon, reviews and heat (literally) is up and if W11 is extra optimized for Intel (which is and they confirmed that W11 will be optimized for Intel Thread Director) than Intel will be beneficiary

3) with point 1 & 2, MS & Intel just make a big negative hit to AMD. As I said, AMD needs to partner with Steam/Linux to have a major OS compatible with most windows apps and games

lol his user name checks out.
Lmao. Is that the best you can do? I’m no Intel fanboy. Intel are a scummy company just like AMD.

Of course if “he’s a fanboy” is all you guys can say you’re kinda confirming my point about AMD fans being the lowest common denominators…

Hopefully it's not about the political might from Intel again, like that recent revelation of how 1st gen Xbox dropped AMD right before launch in favor of Intel. But it's really hard to believe Microsoft "forgot" to test AMD's processors before launch.

You had me at the first part - that these things probably are quite common- then you lost me .
I do not think M/S fixing this was dependant on dumb AMD fan boys .
At best you would hope simple pride in work would be number one .
Plus this is the basis of M/S kernel going forward

The point is that the angry mob noticed while Microsoft did not, and the pressure from the angry mob is directly responsible for the issue being addressed promptly. With any luck it will contribute towards an internal process fix preventing more such episodes in the future, which absolutely should have already been in place. I don't think we agree on who was the dumb party in this event.

Finally, if you think an O/S change tanking performance 15% is no big deal, I have no idea what you are doing on a hardware enthusiast site or what your criteria for an acceptable O/S change is. If 15% doesn't count "in the real world", would 20%? 25%? While I agree not every user is going to notice in every app, there's a reason why performance is one the central issues being reported on in articles here, and it is particularly relevant this year when a great many users are already a generation or two behind on their GPU due to the unusual market factors.

I normally hate the MS bashing that goes on but the Windows 11 launch has been an omnishambles, and the arbitrary CPU version gate is a complete nonsense with no technical reason behind it.

Dude wake up it's MICROSOFT every step forward they go back 2 steps. As a RYZEN owner we all know MICROSOFT will F**** it up again. I lost trust in them years.

Dude wake up it's MICROSOFT every step forward they go back 2 steps. As a RYZEN owner we all know MICROSOFT will F**** it up again. I lost trust in them years.

For MS ist an example of a dominant/monopoly giant, that has absolutely no competition. They can scr.w everyone they want, that they will still dominate. If I had an option to run those apps/ games on Linux or macos on my Apple M1, I would just forget windows.

But MS is not alone:
- Intel just advanced because of AMD, else we would just still have Skylakes with 4 cores and UHD 820s (= HD520 = UHD620...) with mini updates.
- With Apple and warranties/ repairs is the same, they try to make Smartphones unrepairable / only on Apple and in Europe the law says they have to give 2 year (soon 5 year) warranty. Nevertheless they still give 1 year (seller 1 year extra). Only because the EU makes a lot of pressure they will have to end with Lightning (usb 2.0?!?!) and hopefully those 1 year warranties...

Now I am on a mood to support SteamOS/Proton/Wine/Vulkan: which brings almost everything to Linux, AMD and even Apple ARM chips (also good news for all Crossover- software-type things). It's sad to see that most developers don't make an effort to compile to Linux/ARM when the tools are already available. Funny enough, the "Indies" small companies are the ones which make more effort; giant full of cash companies make almost no effort...

It wasn’t. It was accidentally rolled out on a patch Tuesday.

Exactly what Irata said is on my mind:

1) only a very reduced number of AMD are compatible with W11, which indirectly makes people thing that buying AMD is risky

2) the new crop of Intel chips come soon, reviews and heat (literally) is up and if W11 is extra optimized for Intel (which is and they confirmed that W11 will be optimized for Intel Thread Director) than Intel will be beneficiary

3) with point 1 & 2, MS & Intel just make a big negative hit to AMD. As I said, AMD needs to partner with Steam/Linux to have a major OS compatible with most windows apps and games

1) what are you on about? Intel has a pretty restrictive list too. Anything before 8th gen is also dead. Given this is most of Intel’s current market whereas AMD is newer…

2) W11 won’t be “extra optimised” for Intel. Given that most recent PC sales were AMD, this would be dumb for MS to do.

3) Yes, MS, who is a direct hardware partner with AMD for the Xbox and therefore needs their core OS and kernel to work well with them, is out to hamper AMD 🤦🏻‍♂️

You couldn’t make this nonsense up, honestly.

Back