New York City may soon force Uber to introduce in-app tipping

midian182

Staff member

Tipping has long been a contentious issue for Uber. The company says leaving a tip with a driver is not “expected or required,” and it wasn’t until last year’s class action lawsuit that it finally allowed drivers to place signs in their vehicles stating tips are not included. As such, there’s no option in the Uber app that lets passengers leave a tip, but that could soon change - in New York City, at least.

The New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) announced a proposal, set to be introduced in a few months, requiring car services that only accept credit cards to give passengers the option of tipping with their cards in the app.

The TLC is supporting a petition by the Independent Drivers Guild that claims a tipping option would add an extra $300 million per year to drivers’ incomes. The touchscreen interfaces of New York City taxis allow tipping via credit cards, but the same feature isn’t available in Uber’s app.

“This rule proposal will be an important first step to improve earning potential in the for-hire vehicle industry, but it is just one piece of a more comprehensive effort to improve the economic well-being of drivers,” Meera Joshi, the city’s taxi commissioner, said in a statement.

Lyft has had an in-app tipping option for a few years now. The Uber rival says it means an extra $200 million per year for its drivers.

In a Medium post, Uber states it has avoided introducing in-app tipping because personal bias influences the practice, either consciously or unconsciously. It adds that tipping would see its drivers spend more time in affluent neighborhoods where tips are likely to be higher.

The proposal will still require the approval of the taxi commission’s board. Should it pass, there’s a good chance other cities will introduce similar rules.

Permalink to story.

I am against tipping in every field. It is both an excuse to pay substandard wages and it is not actually very optional in the areas where tipping is allowed/expected. Because if it is allowed it is ALWAYS expected. If a person doesn't tip their waitress "they are a jerk", and it is not uncommon for a waitress to chew-out a person for leaving little to no tip. The real jerks are the legislatures who maintain the exemption, allowing restaurant workers to be paid sub-standard wages. Any business should be allowed to have "no-tips" as part of their business model.

Tipping has a lot to do with the local circumstances. In some countries certain people rely on tips to make a living, as their standard pay is very low, and tips make up the difference to make it a decent living wage.
In other countries, tips are not required because the earnings level is decent and tips are unnecessary to cover the wage gap, in these cases, a small tip is a reward for good service, but by no means mandatory.
It makes travelling a bit of a nightmare, never know how much to tip or even when in some cases.

I am against tipping in every field. It is both an excuse to pay substandard wages and it is not actually very optional in the areas where tipping is allowed/expected. Because if it is allowed it is ALWAYS expected. If a person doesn't tip their waitress "they are a jerk", and it is not uncommon for a waitress to chew-out a person for leaving little to no tip. The real jerks are the legislatures who maintain the exemption, allowing restaurant workers to be paid sub-standard wages. Any business should be allowed to have "no-tips" as part of their business model.
you can stand by not tipping as a matter of principle if you want. Just keep in mind that it's counter productive to NOT pay the person who needs the higher wage as a form of protest and you're still a horrible person for not doing so.

And, honestly, you pay for it in the end whether you know it or not. Either you're meal price goes up to adjust for the increase in wages or you tip them on top of their meal. If you don't tip then you're just being cheap and don't believe in paying more for a product to increase the employees wages.

you can stand by not tipping as a matter of principle if you want. Just keep in mind that it's counter productive to NOT pay the person who needs the higher wage as a form of protest and you're still a horrible person for not doing so.

And, honestly, you pay for it in the end whether you know it or not. Either you're meal price goes up to adjust for the increase in wages or you tip them on top of their meal. If you don't tip then you're just being cheap and don't believe in paying more for a product to increase the employees wages.

Whether you tip or not has no impact on the chances of employee's wages being improved. You are better off telling the owner to pay better wages.

That's the thing, why should you tip if you are paying for it already.

It's like, the delivery fee. Don't expect me to pay a delivery fee AND tip. I'm not asking anything above and beyond from you, you are fulfilling the service I'm paying already.

IF, they want to do something, up the ante and that's it. I'm against tipping because someone cashed in my stuff.

I'm against the theory of tipping.... But the fault is not in the person working.... Ask yourself, is the extra dollar worth more to you or them? If the answer is "them", why not give it to them? If it's you... Fair enough.... I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford Uber and restaurants, and generally tip generously as I selfishly derive pleasure in seeing other people happy.... It's amazing what joy can be brought to someone just by parting with an extra $5 or so....

That's the thing, why should you tip if you are paying for it already.

It's like, the delivery fee. Don't expect me to pay a delivery fee AND tip. I'm not asking anything above and beyond from you, you are fulfilling the service I'm paying already.
If you don't want to pay for what you buy + delivery + tip, just go to the store, take what you buy, pay for it and leave the tip, then you don't have to pay for the delivery and you also make some exercise. ;D

Back