Newbie needs advice for new PC

Hi! I'm a newbie, on a very, very limited budget and need to replace my antique computer.I don't need anything fancy just a super reliable machine. I only use my computer for the basics -- email, web surfing, You-tube Netflicks, and watching videos,etc. I do not do any gaming so that's not an issue. I want to use my 1080p big screen as a monitor about 80% of the time and a standard monitor for the rest. I'm a music lover and want to store and store and play a lot of high quality digital media. I have an excellent stand alone DAC so I just need the computer to send it a clean digital signal. again,I am on an extremely tight budget and need advice on getting a unit that will meet my needs. Used? Refurbed? New? outboard memory? I have no idea on where to begin, what I need, and what to avoid. I would be very grateful for any help and advice you can give THANKS!

I am open to either. There are a lot of used and refurbed units available on CL and ebay selling for $50 on up but I can't tell if they'd do what I need or what is a good deal. I'm willing to do the work if building 1 is more reliable and/or gets it me a more bang for the $$. ----- I'm not at all concerned about cosmetics, just what's under the hood. I've got a few old ones that I could gut and use for a case, a decent wireless Keyboard/mouse and a monitor that is good enough for when I'm not using my big screen. ---- Thanks!

I just took a look at the site you aimed me at. I'd be OK with spending up to $300. for one. Again, if it is reliable and will do a good job with music and watching videos. Both my TV and BluRay Transport do most of what I need with videos but they are absolutely miserable when trying to search or do anything more than simple play-back. It would be so much easier if I could use my keyboard and mouse.

Back