Newegg's fraudulent claims about shipping

johnhenry

I've purchased a few items from Newegg recently and paid for specific shipping methods via UPS, namely 3 Day Ground.

Later, when the tracking number arrives, I find that UPS was not paid for said service, and is instead shipping via a much slower, cheaper means.

Basically, Newegg has taken money from me for a more expensive means of shipping, paid UPS for a cheaper means of shipping, and pocketed the difference.

When I contacted their customer service, Newegg simply replies, "It's out of our hands now." Well, of course it is, because you've already shafted me.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Apart from conducting a stop-payment through my CC, do I have any recourse?

Thanks.

I never had a problem with them. I have been way over charged buying off ebay

$7.50 for express -> package came late and shipping showed $1.42

Yeah, I guess this stuff happens everywhere. But I've bought from Newegg before without any problem.

I was very surprised by this, and especially surprised by the response of their customer service.

Oh well, they made $20 off me this time, but I'll be darned sure they never see another penny from me.

I have bought a ton of stuff off newegg. Never had a problem with em. I paid for 3 day shipping and it came in that amount of time. So maybe a screw up happened with your order. But I wouldn't go dissing newegg for that. They are a great site and most always gets your orders shipped to you very fast.

i've got news for you johnhenry....NOBODY is perfect.

crap happens. you got unlucky this time. you were that unlucky 0.001 percent that had a screwup somewhere of everyone that has ever ordered from newegg. it's unfortunate, but i guarantee that if you ordered from someone else, eventually the same sh17 would happen again at some point.

i think you were just a victim of chance, not newegg.com.

Well, if you want to know what, if any, legal recourse you have, I would advise you to contact an attorney. I wouldn't seek legal advice on a technical forum.

Yes, I probably shouldn't go dissing them for the screwup...and I wouldn't, except:

1. my purchase was dividied into 3 shipments, all 3 of which were delayed due to this single, identical problem. Hard to see it as an accident in light of this.

2. two different customer service agents tried to sidetrack me with calendar hocus-pocus when I confronted them about the problem. They kept talking about 'weekends' and 'Christmas'...as if I have been using the Mayan calendar my whole life or don't know what a business day is.

Sorry for the negativity, but I really dislike the feeling of being given the run-around. If they'd simply admitted the error, I would not be so miffed.
:)

I wouldn't seek a attorney just for that. It pretty much makes no sense. So you might have lost a couple bucks.. so what. You got everything you ordered right? It just got to you a little slow.

just saw your post. Ya that has got to be frustrating. The time I called newegg about a damaged product they helped me right out so maybe it was just the people you got. but still newegg is a awesome company and i wouldn't not buy anything form them again just over a little screwup.

i'm surprised your not more politically active then. if we could get our government to admit an error like you're suggesting newegg should do, then the world would be a wonderful place.

i can certainly understand your position...but if you think about it, there's next to nothing you can do. it's not worth pursuing over 20 dollars. eventually you'll just leave it at the back of your mind and eventually forget about it and move on.

not saying you can't be miffed about it, but you're not really accomplishing anything by being angry about it...

i do feel sorry for you though if it's any consolation. :)

Good heavens! No, I'm not considering any legal action. I guess my 1st post was somewhat open-ended that way. My apologies for that.

I realize I have no recourse other than to choose my supplier differently next time, and to publicize my experiences this time. And both will/have been done.

Thanks guys, I feel a little better now. ;)

you could try tigerdirect next time if you like. they're another reputable website for the computer builders of the world. :)

lol, glad we could help. :)
I would give newegg a second chance though. :)

ya I would try tigerdirect. They have some pretty good prices as well.

Ok, tigerdirect, I'll check them out soon.

Thanks again!

(Nothing left to see here. I'll wipe up the tears on my way out...)

I know there is a verified newegg rep on this site. I had a problem with shipping, told him about it and he took care of things for me. Try it out!

As for tigerdirect I have ok dealings with them I just think newegg has better prices.

Heh, go ahead with TigerDirect - hope you don't plan on ever getting any rebates from them.

Don't know what happened with newegg and you. But as a potential counter to that (you know, to bring balance to the universe and all that) - I ordered a hard drive and an enclosure last friday, afternoon, after business hours. 3 day shipping, I recieved it Tuesday. So unless weekends count, I got it on the 2nd day.

I wouldn't care if it took a week to get my stuff from NewEgg, They sell for very cheap and their products always come intact and unbroken ( unlike some other online retailers )

So, next time you order a part just put a normal shipping... I did a normal shipping one time and got my parts 2 days later, which is very good seeing how I live far from California.

johnhenry said:
I've purchased a few items from Newegg recently and paid for specific shipping methods via UPS, namely 3 Day Ground.

Later, when the tracking number arrives, I find that UPS was not paid for said service, and is instead shipping via a much slower, cheaper means.

Basically, Newegg has taken money from me for a more expensive means of shipping, paid UPS for a cheaper means of shipping, and pocketed the difference.

When I contacted their customer service, Newegg simply replies, "It's out of our hands now." Well, of course it is, because you've already shafted me.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Apart from conducting a stop-payment through my CC, do I have any recourse?

Thanks.

Dude, WTF are you talking about? UPS 3-5 day shipping is their cheapest rate.

Newegg is entitled to charge more for shipping than just the postage. Packing materials, warehouses, and warehouse workers all cost money.

That's why it's called; "shipping and HANDLING".

Back