Next generation of iPhones will have wireless charging, says Apple manufacturing partner

midian182

Staff member

Rumors that the upcoming iPhones will support wireless charging have been circulating for a while, but it seems that the feature has now been all but confirmed. Wistron, the main iPhone manufacturer in India, said the next generation of Apple's handsets will boast this ability, as well as being waterproof.

Apple recently partnered with the Taiwanese contract manufacturer to assemble older generations of iPhones in India, which will bring down prices and allow expansion within the country.

Speaking to reports after the company’s annual shareholders meeting yesterday, Wistron CEO Robert Hwang said: "Assembly process for the previous generations of [iPhones] have not changed much, though new features like waterproof and wireless charging now require some different testing, and waterproof function will alter the assembly process a bit."

While Wistron currently only manufactures the iPhone SE, Apple analysts Jeff Pu and Arthur Liao say it is splitting orders with Foxconn for the upcoming 5.5-inch iPhone, which is assumed to be the iPhone 7s Plus. So it appears that the wireless charging comments relate to the upcoming handset.

The current generation of iPhones is rated IP67, denoting that they are fully protected against dust ingress and can withstand being submerged in water for up to 30 mins at a depth of around 3 feet. It seems as if the next iPhones could have an IP68 rating, meaning they are more resilient and can withstand depths of around 5 feet for 30 minutes.

It’s expected that all new iPhones – the 7s, 7s Plus, and flagship 8 model – will come with these new and improved features.

Permalink to story.

Too many iDi0ts in the world buying all the limited functionality iCrap.
Yet you call Samsung innovative? They're the kings of taking someone else's idea, altering it slightly, and selling en masse...

Might I point out the Motorola Razr... which was shortly followed by the Samsung Blade? Quite innovative :)

This means the iPhone won't have a metal case or body. Its going to be all non-ferric materials; glass, plastic.

Not necessarily....
No, necessarily. Wireless charging is just inductive charging. It uses alternating electromagnet fields to induce a current in a metal coil. This current then charges the battery of the device. But, it doesn't affect just the charging coil. Any other metal exposed to the field also experiences an induced current - this metal just heats up to extreme temperatures that can damage the device, and cause injuries or even fires. In simplest terms, energy is transferred into all metal bodies in the field. In the case of the charging coil, that energy goes into the battery. In the case of anything-not-the-charging-coil, the energy just builds up and results in heating.

This is why all the devices capable of wireless charging have plastic bodies, and no metal-body devices have wireless charging.

No, necessarily. Wireless charging is just inductive charging. It uses alternating electromagnet fields to induce a current in a metal coil. This current then charges the battery of the device. But, it doesn't affect just the charging coil. Any other metal exposed to the field also experiences an induced current - this metal just heats up to extreme temperatures that can damage the device, and cause injuries or even fires. In simplest terms, energy is transferred into all metal bodies in the field. In the case of the charging coil, that energy goes into the battery. In the case of anything-not-the-charging-coil, the energy just builds up and results in heating.

This is why all the devices capable of wireless charging have plastic bodies, and no metal-body devices have wireless charging.

But there are workarounds...

http://www.qiwireless.com/nuvolta-made-wireless-charging-metal-cases-possible/

I wonder if Apple has considered something like that... or something else... NOTHING is impossible...

But there are workarounds...

http://www.qiwireless.com/nuvolta-made-wireless-charging-metal-cases-possible/

I wonder if Apple has considered something like that... or something else... NOTHING is impossible...

The fact it is a year old and no one has picked it up speaks volumes. A year might as well be a century when it comes to phones, so I am lead to believe that there is something wrong with this workaround, something wrong enough that Samsung, LG, Apple, Google, etc, didn't buy them up to secure the patent and put the tech into all of their phones.

EDIT: there is also no mention of the tech on NuVolta's website anymore - just higher efficiency wireless charging. I also haven't found any mention of an IP sale concerning wireless charging with a metal case.

The fact it is a year old and no one has picked it up speaks volumes. A year might as well be a century when it comes to phones, so I am lead to believe that there is something wrong with this workaround, something wrong enough that Samsung, LG, Apple, Google, etc, didn't buy them up to secure the patent and put the tech into all of their phones.

EDIT: there is also no mention of the tech on NuVolta's website anymore - just higher efficiency wireless charging. I also haven't found any mention of an IP sale concerning wireless charging with a metal case.
That wasn't my point... I merely said "not necessarily".... because ANYTHING is possible... The link I gave you was merely an example.

That wasn't my point... I merely said "not necessarily".... because ANYTHING is possible... The link I gave you was merely an example.

Well, sure, if you cut a large enough hole, any kind of EM wavelength can pass trough it - the hole just needs to be larger than wavelength you are trying to let pass. Conversely, you can stop EM penetration if you keep any holes smaller than the targeted wavelength. But waves propagate in all directions unless focused into a beam. So unless they were to focus the EM waves to charge the device into a vertical column, and you were to line this hole up perfectly with this column, you'll still get heating in components that you really don't wanting heating in.

Back