Nielsen: Microsoft's search share up 51% on-year

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Nielsen has published its US search statistics for July, revealing an impressive 51% year-over-year increase for Microsoft's sites (MSN/Windows Live/Bing), which held 13.6% of the market. Yahoo, which is now powered by Bing behind the curtain, represented a 14.3% share last month, falling 17% from a year prior. Despite the contrasting performance on-year, both companies witnessed a similar sequential increase of 4% and 2% respectively.

Google, of course, maintained its position as the top search provider with 64.2% of the market, falling 1% from the month and year-ago periods. Ask.com placed fourth in Nielsen's stats at 2.1% of the market, while AOL claimed 1.9%, shrinking 38% from last year.

Market share aside, search volume has decreased by 16% from 10.5 billion in July 2009 to 8.8 billion in July 2010. MSN/Windows Live/Bing was the only one of the top three engines to experience a boost, with searches climbing 28% from 0.9 billion to 1.2 billion.

Permalink to story.

It isn't default in any other browser, hence, your comment is rather out of context, to put it mildly, Bing isn't bad at all, it produces results on par with Google infact in some areas it is slightly better and in some Google may may have some edge, anyway, I think it just comes down to what you like at personal level.

More importantly, I want to see fierce competition in this market because Google now isn't all about everything good anymore. With the kind of money and muscle MS have, if they really put things right, it would be good match-up with some fireworks down the road ;).

How is it out of context when he specifically mentioned IE7 and 8 have it as the default? Most non-technical users and almost all offices I have experience with (I work as IT for multiple companies, support custom programs, ect) use Windows 2000/XP and IE 7/8. The younger employees of the firms I work for typically install Chrome or Firefox on their machines, but any administrator or pretty much anyone over 30 keeps the default IE/Search Engine.

What he said. IE 7 and 8 are default in Windows vista/ 7. How many people change the default? Not many. IE has a very big market share. Pretty mcuh all companys use IE. At my college its IE with bing as the search. Can't change it without admin settings. They only recently started letting us use Firefox portable.

Back